Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Britain Faces An Early Big Freeze

balli hi

I don't know about global warming, i think ice age would be more appropriate :rolleyes:

BRITAIN was warned yesterday of another big freeze this winter – with snow expected to sweep in as early as next month.

Temperatures are forecast to drop to below average for the time of year over the next few months.

The early onset of winter was predicted by experts at Exacta Weather.

Long-range forecaster James Madden said on its website: “As we head towards winter, I expect to see the first signs of some moderate to heavy snowfalls as early as October or November in certain parts of the UK.

“I expect December, January, and February to experience below-average temperatures, with the heaviest snowfalls occurring within the time frame of November to ­January across many parts of the UK.”

The UK and Ireland would be hit by ­“prolonged periods of extreme cold and snow from the Arctic regions as cold easterlies or north-easterlies develop”.

Mr Madden said: “Huge swirly low-­pressure systems also offer the potential for widespread disruption from heavy snowfall across many parts of the UK including the South, as they clash with the predominant cold air.”

I expect December, January, and February to experience below-average temperatures

Long-range forecaster James Madden, Exacta Weather

He warned of “frequent and prolonged cold spells with heavy falls of snow from blizzard-like conditions”, with Scotland and the North braced for the worst of the weather.

Paul Michaelwaite, forecaster at Netweather, warned “widespread” snowfall could be seen as early as November.

“We are looking at October being cooler than average, and November looks like another cold one, with temperatures below what we would normally expect.

“December looks on the cold side, although we are not looking that far ahead yet.”

Mr Michaelwaite added: “Over the past four or five years November snow has not been rare at all, and with temperatures below the average there is the chance of some widespread falls.”

The Met Office said the beginning of October would see colder-than-average nights bringing the chance of overnight frosts. The Midlands and the South-east would bear the brunt of the cold snap.

Although it is still too early to ­predict, there are hints that a chilly autumn could be a prelude to another big freeze similar to that of last year.

Britain was thrown into chaos as freezing conditions and heavy snowfalls paralysed transport networks and brought airports grinding to a halt.

Parts of the UK saw up to 30 inches of snow. Temperatures plunged to -19C (-2.2F) in some areas.

As the cold snap set in during the run-up to Christmas, it is thought to have cost the economy up to ­£1.2billion a day, with a total loss of £13billion.

Yesterday, the US firm that predicted last year’s Arctic snap as well as the previous big freeze of 2009-2010 also warned that we might be in for another cold spell.

Weather Services International said October, November and December would see temperatures around two degrees lower than average.

Spokesman Dan Leonard said: “[it will be] 0-1 degrees below average in the UK for October and November. Cooling to 1-2 degrees below average in December.

“We haven’t released a winter forecast yet but the upper-level pattern we expect to develop in December suggests at least a cool, stormy start to the winter over the UK and much of northern mainland Europe.”

WSI’s chief meteorologist, Dr Todd Crawford, added: “We ­currently expect the coldest temperatures to be confined to western Europe.”

Jonathan Powell, senior forecaster for Positive Weather Solutions, said the UK was set for an “exceptionally dry” two months which, if coupled with high pressure, could compound a cold spell. The warnings come just a week after the tail-end of Hurricane Katia ­battered Britain with winds reaching 82mph.

Insurers put the cost of the storms at around £100million in damage to property, clean-up costs and lost revenue on the high street as they swept through the UK last Monday.

Large swathes of the nation were battered. The North and West were the worst-hit areas.

Thousands of homes were left without power. In County Durham winds tore a roof from a building, sending it crashing on to 15 parked cars.

Volunteer minibus driver George Brown, 68, died when a tree crashed down on his vehicle as he went to pick up patients at a hospice near Bishop Auckland.

Hurricane Katia was caused by the remnants of a tropical cyclone that formed last month near west Africa and swept in from the Atlantic.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/272457/Britain-faces-an-early-big-freeze/

Glad I had the foresight to buy a set of winter tyres in the summer :)

I heard this too, by word of mouth a couple of weeks ago :shutit: Three seperate people told me that we were to have snow @ Halloween & that it would last, on & off, till February.

We have had mini Ice ages before. In the Middle Ages, which is relatively recent in Climatological terms, one ocurred, causing crop failure & famine,followed by the Black Death.

Everyone worried by Global Warming? Naturally we'll get a mini Ice Age instead :crybaby:

Smart move :thumbsup:

Glad I had the foresight to buy a set af 33" all terrain tyres in the summer, and a hilux to put them on :)

In other words, winter will occur sometime between October and March say the experts.

Er, doesn't it always in the northern hemisphere?

The forecasters can't get it right for next week let alone for the coming months, like you say Tone, I am expecting winter to arrive sometime around errrr ............winter time

Anybody remember early on this year when the forecasters said it would be a BBQ summer? :g:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Anybody remember early on this year when the forecasters said it would be a BBQ summer? :g:

:rolleyes: wasn't that the 23rd of June from 10am to 2pm?

I wonder sometimes whether we (joe public) could sue the weathermen for misrepresenting their job!

You were lucky that day Tone, up norf it went from 10.00 til 11.06, at 11.07 I switched the heating on and got me coat out of the scary cupboard :lol:

shame i did not move.. live on a top of a hill.. another slippery winter

last time i slid all the way down the road in to the main road.. thank god no one was coming down the road at the time.

You sound like a customer for some of my winter tyres Steve, would make a change you slotting some cash my way instead of the other way round :D: :D: :D:

shame i did not move.. live on a top of a hill.. another slippery winter

Me too, but we are safe from the floods!

You sound like a customer for some of my winter tyres Steve, would make a change you slotting some cash my way instead of the other way round :D: :D: :D:

It's all about the money, money :yahoo:

yeah i would be safe if we had a Tsunami.. I live 2 miles from Sandbanks and apparently thats gonna be underwater in 50 years.. but living on the hill I don't have to worry so much. Plus i have a great winter scene or i can see all the fireworks displays in the area.

It's all about the money, money :yahoo:

oh pleeeeeease don't sing Raist la la la :help: my ears are bleeding at the thought :D:

yeah i would be safe if we had a Tsunami.. I live 2 miles from Sandbanks and apparently thats gonna be underwater in 50 years.. but living on the hill I don't have to worry so much. Plus i have a great winter scene or i can see all the fireworks displays in the area.

Whats the chance of a landslide, living on a hill,could be the cars not the only thing sliding down to the main road.

I hope not for your sake.

Lol now their telling us we're in for an Indian Summer, they reckon the temperature will soar to 27c :) sometime next week, probably on Thursday. :rolleyes:

Britain set for Indian summer as temperatures may soar to 27C next week

By Mirror.co.uk 23/09/2011

the-sun-sets-over-tower-bridge-pic-getty-images-4851816651.jpg

Britain is in for an Indian summer which may see temperatures soar up to 27C next week, according to meteorologists.

Forecasters at the Met Office say that there are signs that suggest there will be several days of warm and dry weather.

The south and east of the country should benefit the most, with temperatures up to 27C, compared with an average maximum of 16.1C for September.

Chris Tubbs, Met Office chief forecaster, said: "It's too early to give precise detail, but the dominant signal is for much of the UK to get some fine weather from Tuesday onwards.

"Temperatures could be unseasonably warm in places, certainly well above the average for this time of year.

"The settled weather is set to last for several days and could carry on into the start of October, giving us a welcome respite from the windy and wet conditions which have dominated for the past few weeks."

A spokeswoman for MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "From next Monday there will be high pressure and it will be nice and dry, with temperatures easily into the 20s.

"The parts of the country that are likely to benefit the most stretch from the Midlands to the east of England and southern parts of East Anglia."

One event that might be affected by the good weather is the Great Gorilla Run 2011, a fun run tomorrow in London which will see 1,000 participants run seven kilometres in dark furry gorilla costumes.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/09/23/britain-set-for-indian-summer-as-temperatures-may-soar-to-27c-next-week-115875-23441083/#ixzz1YpX625Hu

"The parts of the country that are likely to benefit the most stretch from the Midlands to the east of England and southern parts of East Anglia

Oh South East Essex is the place to be in this sort of weather.... By the rime the bad weather gets to us it's run out of steam and the sun comes out!

I feel sorry for the west of England (not) :yahoo:

Looks like they have got the latest forecast right, its looking good for this week with Friday being forecast as the hottest day at 27/28c , Wednesday and Thursday should reach 26c.....Happy days :)

Looks like they have got the latest forecast right, its looking good for this week with Friday being forecast as the hottest day at 27/28c , Wednesday and Thursday should reach 26c.....Happy days :)

Indeed they have got it right :yahoo: loving the Autumn sunshine, been sitting out sipping a glass of red accompanied with home grown grapes and a slab of cheddar :drool: chill out tunes on the Hi Fi, my garden thermometer is currently reading 24c in the shade, gorgeous :thumbsup: am gonna have a lazy day today :thumbsup:

Er.... Do I have this right... Snow forecast for this winter two days before the hottest week for a long time... Do we actually pay these wallies??

Mind you, next week is a different matter :thumbsup:

We are on our 2nd day of what we DIDN'T get during Summer :yahoo::toast:

Anyone watching the Rugby World Cup? I get the impression that it is premanently peeing down there :nopity:

Who cares? We, Ireland :toast: are top of our section at the moment :yahoo:

Indeed they have got it right :yahoo: loving the Autumn sunshine, been sitting out sipping a glass of red accompanied with home grown grapes and a slab of cheddar :drool: chill out tunes on the Hi Fi, my garden thermometer is currently reading 24c in the shade, gorgeous :thumbsup: am gonna have a lazy day today :thumbsup:

So, no change there then... :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links