Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Engine Does Not Turnover

ljw_44

my friend has just come round to check my cars problem..and the story started like this..

i drove my parents to manchester from south yorkshire round trip and left the car on the drive for 1 and a half week not running..i then tried to start the car when i needed to but realised it didnt wanna start as the Battery seemed flat..i have now left it like this for 4 weeks now...and a few peeps have come round to check the fuses etc etc.but to no joy..and today my other friend came around and told me that there seems to be no fuel going to the engine..and the spark plug was fine but no sparks were seen when plugged in..so i then rang toyota to ask as my friend requested me to try to locate the fuel cut off switch only to be told that the yaris does not have one but try to use the other spare key to see if that could solve it..but still no joy..so any suggestions and do i need to give you guys more detail.....

ohh also the car wants to start but does not turnover properly...

It would be nice to know engine size , mileage and service history .

Have you tried to charge the Battery?

Has anyone tested the Battery?

Are your friends familiar with working on cars? If they are not, anything they say can be usefully ignored.

the mileage is 80k and service has been fine.battery has been charged which was someting i missed out to tell you guys..so anymore advice...? and Battery had been tested as when it first happened after the 1.5 weeks stood still that was the first thing we did..and then checked the fuses..

my friend is fimiliar with cars..

IT still sounds like the Battery is low. It takes a lot of charge to turn the engine over and if the Battery is low then there woon't be enough juice left over to power the electric fuel pump and ignition system at the same time.

First step would be to either charge the Battery more or try a set of "jump leads" connected to another car to see if that gives it the "ooomph" to get the motor going....

I have had a similar exoperience after leaving a car for a while, either when the battery starts getting older and becomes less efficient or after I've accidentally left something on for a while draining the battery such as a boot light....

tried tried..but thaks for the suggestions..but i have a feeling it could have disabled the immobiliser which will shut down the main system..but who am i to know .as if i did know i would not be here asking..but i am greatful for anymore suggestions...but i also did try the jump leads...also..and no joy..i can here it wanting to start ..but to the point that the last tick over it wont jump to that stage..and also i cannot here the pump going at all for the fuel to transfer...but thats its my lack of knowledge with cars..

IF the Battery is 8 years old, chances are it has died. As stage 1 I would try to borrow a known good replacement and see.

(It is possible that the earth lead to the Battery needs to be cleaned and retightened.

After that, ..

1. do all the following work when you switch on the ignition:

engine warning light.

Coolante temperature.

seat belts.

Do the headlamps work or are they dim?

We're kind of guessing in the dark.

If it's the immobiliser, not a clue...

(Unless you have dropped the key or the Battery in it has failed)

Has it central locking? Does that work?

It could be that the Battery has gone into 'deep discharge' and chances are that it will be beyond repair (recharge). This occurs when an electrical load (e.g. boot light etc.)is left connected on an ageing Battery for a considerable amount of time (1 1/2 weeks).

If on the other hand the Battery had just gone flat or weak and WAS able to take a full charge then failure for the car to start could be down to 'flooding' of the engine, this results in the spark plugs being 'wet' causing little or no spark! That would explain your thinking it's a immobiliser problem when in fact all you have to do is crank the engine over for approx. 30 seconds whilst pressing the accelerator pedal all the way downn to the floor until it splutters into life.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links