Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roadworks *****s

gordonD4D

local authority were carrying out pavement repairs last week outside our cottages and asked the wife to move one of our cars , needles to say she did and also asked them if the other car needed moving to which they replied no

the outcome 2x cars yaris and mazda 3 covered in strands of thin bitumen !

its over the glass , bonnet , body panels etc , i,m sure it would come off easily enough with the powerwash but thats not the issue > it shouldnt have happened in the first instance > letter , e-mail and phone call to local council already today

as i said to customer complaints , under the new roads and streetworks act , the council has by law a DUTY OF CARE to the general public and their property , i also said what would have happened if a small child had passed when all this airborne bitumen/tar was flying around > surely unsafe work practices > health and safety at work act would love that one !

all i,m looking for is two valets to get the black s*it of our cars ( lets see what happens )

dont you just love council workers !!!!!!!!!! > NOT !!!!!!!!!!!

It's their way of getting their own back for their pension cuts.... No mention of when herr brown stole 50 million from the private sector though! :yahoo:

It's their way of getting their own back for their pension cuts.... No mention of when herr brown stole 50 million from the private sector though! :yahoo:

had a phoned reply already , theyve offered to get their garage mechanic to remove the tar ~ sounds like it must be a common occurence !

And you trust this guy with your paintwork? I wouldn't have thought they would be none to bothered about what they use to wash it off with or how gently they treat your paint

And you trust this guy with your paintwork? I wouldn't have thought they would be none to bothered about what they use to wash it off with or how gently they treat your paint

I agree, do it yourself using a dedicated tar remover or white spirit. Wash the car first to remove dirt and grime then apply the tar remover by spray or dampen an old clean cloth and lay it directly onto the bitumin and leave to soak for a few minutes, then using a fresh dampened cloth wipe over the area gently, repeat until removed. Rinse paintwork down with clean water then wash again job done!

I agree, do it yourself using a dedicated tar remover or white spirit. Wash the car first to remove dirt and grime then apply the tar remover by spray or dampen an old clean cloth and lay it directly onto the bitumin and leave to soak for a few minutes, then using a fresh dampened cloth wipe over the area gently, repeat until removed. Rinse paintwork down with clean water then wash again job done!

yes im not gonna let them touch the cars although i,'m going to give them the receipt for the tar removal that i buy on that subject guys oops and gals what tar remover would you recommend using , ive got some white spirit or turps kicking about , any advice welcome thanks

I use white spirit with a paper towel.

With such a lot, I would use a microfibre cloth and white spirit. Or several microfibre cloths. And rubber/vinyl gloves to protect your hands.

1 litre white spirit c £1.50 and 4 large cloths £3.. plus 10 vinyl gloves £2 - all at Asda or other supermakets...(approx prices).

Work in open spaces and no naked lights of course....:-)

That's a bit rubbish. Was it that slurry stuff they use as a bodge to doing a proper tarmac repair? Seems to be all the rage with my local council. Ours got a contractor to do it and they put a note through everyones door saying if you had any plants up to the pavement border then you might want to cover them up. Needless to say I made sure my car was nowhere in the vicinity. As it turned out is was a reasonably neat job but the slurry they put down is way too soft and if a vehicle turns on it then it marks it or chews it up, many many months after it was put down.

Agreed, don't let the council depot guy with his brillo pad anywhere near your pride and joy!

When our council resurfaced our road, three weeks before the event a note was put on everyones car and through the doors, again two weeks, one week and then 3, 2 and one day on every car and again the day before through all letterboxes.

Guess what, on the day they turned up there were two cars parked on the street and when they knocked on doors to find the owners, they hadn't bothered to read the notices!!

one car done , the qwhite spirit worked a treat , and the cars now washed again and spick and span

got a few weird looks as it was dull and overcast when i was doing it , still i wasnt happy about all that crap on the glass and shiney paintwork

mazda 3 ,s turn tomorrow , it should be a little easier to see on the car as its light ice metallic blue

Glad it's sorted.

(My consultancy fee is £500 :-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links