Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattle From Roof Lining

Glyndywyr

Hi Guys

I have a RAV 4 2009 diesel and I've developed a clanking noise in the roof lining. Unfortunately it never manifests itself when I'm at the dealer. Has anyone else experienced it, and if so can you tell me what causes it.

regards

Glyn D

Not much up there, sunroof, interior light, rear view mirror assembly or aerial are all I can think off, give us a clue, in front of the driver position, above or behind?

Gus

Not much up there, sunroof, interior light, rear view mirror assembly or aerial are all I can think off, give us a clue, in front of the driver position, above or behind?

Gus

Hi Gus

I know what you mean, it comes from front passenger side and is a single distinctive clank, usually when I go over a bump.

regards

Glyn D

Hi Gus

The dealer has replaced the sunroof motor claiming it was noisy when looking for the clank. I just wonder if the sound is coming from somewhere else in the interior and I'm miss hearing it. Will do as you suggest though.

regards

GLYN D

You may need a patient passenger who is willing to sit in the back as well as the front, but if nothing else see if you can find a way of recreating the noise consistently.

Gus

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I've noticed that noise from my roof lining as well

There seems to be a light clanking noise coming from p/s front corner of sunroof when I go over things like potholes and bumps in the road and when I pull the sunroof back slightly the noise stops.The only thing I can put it down to is the spring loaded wind deflector moving about a bit and tapping against something - I jammed a folded up paper towel between the two and the noise stopped.I am going to stick some self adhesive foam pads between the sunroof and deflector and hope it cures the clonk.

Regards

ALAN

Hi Gus

The dealer has replaced the sunroof motor claiming it was noisy when looking for the clank. I just wonder if the sound is coming from somewhere else in the interior and I'm miss hearing it. Will do as you suggest though.

regards

GLYN D

Maybe they left a spanner in there?

I think the sun visors were capable of making a noise. Wasn't this posted recently? I seem to remember Big Kev being involved.

Just read this another user posted up, 3rd paragraph about seat belt, could this be your noise?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/rav4-2006/?section=bad

Spot on, Jedi.....front passenger seatbelt buckle can indeed rattle off door pillar and transmit a noise, but not usually across roof. I would suspect the centre seat belt buckle is rattling away like a wee linty in its malfitting slot in the roof.

That's why I now have the centre rear buckle permanently engaged....perfect silence.

Other demented mosquito noises I had from above were as Anchs points out my driver side visor, and that was preceded by centre light console having been disturbed by me to fit photochromic mirror (with digi compass, of course...) which was procured in Floridashire.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

If that seat belt buckle is rolled up on itself properly it won't rattle.

I think the post 2009 models have a little label to show you how to do it.

If that seat belt buckle is rolled up on itself properly it won't rattle.

I think the post 2009 models have a little label to show you how to do it.

Verily you speak no untruths, sir....requisite instructions are indeed attached securely to the belt weave and are exceedingly well stitched thereinto....first line of these instructions asks a simple question....."do you have an honours degree in Origami? If not, please do not proceed." Ah couldnae work oot how tae fold it, right....?

Thicko Kev :help::lol: :shutit:

• 7 years later...

what is the bar called behind the sun roof in the interior between the headliner and roof. It moves with the sunroof when opened. My soft cover used to open with the roof when I would open it but now it doesn't. If I reach my hand behind the soft cover with the sunroof closed, I can push the bar up and down as if it isn't attached to anything. Does anyone know what position it should be in when the roof is closed or what would cause the soft cover to not open?

Its a 2006 Rav4 Limited

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links