Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cabin Noise

enyajtrebor

Having compared our 06 plate Yaris to another one there seems to be more intrusive cabin noise in ours. My wife describes it as similar to a fan keep running, to me it sounds like engine noise being transmitted through from the engine compartment but I can't see any obvious rubber grommets missing.

There was a windscreen replacement a while ago and I am wondering if the screen was fitted correctly

Any ideas please?

Perhaps it's road noise as it could be down to the make and model of tyres.To eliminate this just see what type are fitted on the quieter one and take it from there.

Perhaps it's road noise as it could be down to the make and model of tyres.To eliminate this just see what type are fitted on the quieter one and take it from there.

Thanks for he reply - Thought about that and checked that out - to me it is rotational and in line with the engine speed (or so it seems) which was why I thought about misplaced grommets etc..

Ruining the car at the moment

tyre noise or road noise I reckon.

There can be major difference in noise from different brands of tyres and also from the same tyres over different road surfaces.

So unless you've checked that both have exactly the same brand and model of tyres and you're comparing over the same length of road, yuo can't really compare.

You only have to drive along a motorway these days and realise how much the noise level changes as you move from one length of tarmac to a different length - or move into a different lane that's surfaced differently to realise that you can't really do a valid comparison test....

oops sorry - just saw the previous thread.

Next thing to check is that you do have an air filter element in the noisier car and no one's left it out. That would make a big difference to the engine noise....

oops sorry - just saw the previous thread.

Next thing to check is that you do have an air filter element in the noisier car and no one's left it out. That would make a big difference to the engine noise....

Do you mean the pollen filter - I have put a new one in recently

No, I think he means air filter as some people (usually the younger end) tend to modify the engines in search for more bhp and install air indution units which basically allow more cold air into the engine which makes the engine noiser, or maybe that it's been left out by mistake.

What does the engine sound like with the bonnet up whilst been revved? If it's noisey then it could be the drive belts,(to eliminate the belts spray a little silicone lube onto the pullies that the belts ride on, if it then goes quieter then there's your problem)

it could be the flux capacitor - that's been the cause of a few issues with other people's cars.....

it could be the flux capacitor - that's been the cause of a few issues with other people's cars.....

What's the flux capacitor please ? Normal engine noise with the bonnet open. Just seems to be engine noise being transmitted into the cabin.....

What's the flux capacitor please ? Normal engine noise with the bonnet open. Just seems to be engine noise being transmitted into the cabin.....

I think the person is taking the mick.

I think the person is taking the mick.

Thought as much - probably a similar component to a phalanges which failed when fitted to the aircraft featured in a "Friends" programme sketch. Google gives a good description of what a phalanges is.............

Still hasn't got rid of my noise though !!!

sorry - yes - there have been a few discussions on th eforum regarding flux capacitors but they're not fitted to the Yaris so that wont be the issue.

Sounds like a strange one. If its definately "engine speed" related and not road noise, but the engine sounds fine with the bonnet up, then like you say, it could (somehow) be lined to the windscreen replacement - especially if they have to remove trim around the base of the windscreen to replace the screen and you wonder if something's been left out...

But how could you tell without dismantling the trim to look?

The only idea I can think of is to get one of those "air conditioning cleaner" aerosols. You set them off inside the car, with the heater set to "recirculating" so its sealed from the outside to clean the inside of the heater system.

If you did that, then in theory all the "mist" from that should stay inside the car. If you then looked all around the windscreen and under the bonnet whilst it was doing its work you may be able to spot if some of the "mist" was coming out to the outside.

Probably a complete waste of time as the mist isn't "dyed" so maybe you wouldn't see it anyway, but it might be worth a shot for a fiver and you get a clean air con system as a bonus anyway....

The one other thing I'd do (but it cuts across "safety guidance" so I'm not suggesting you try it....) is to get myself up to speed (50-70) on a long straight road with no junctions and no traffic behind me - and then put the car into neutral and let it coast in neutral with the engine just idling for a few yards.

That will remove any engine noise from the equasion and leave me with just "road" noise.

That way, if there is a very major reduction in the noise or it goes away, I would know that the noise is indeed engine related but if the noise continues I would know it was road noise or drivetrain related.

That would confirm to me one way or the other where to look for the noise....

How to test engine vs road noise.

Nice clear dual carriageway 60mph.

Try in 5th or 6th gear.

Listen carefully.

Then drop a gear and continue at same speed.

More noise? Engine.

This should explain - :)

"A flux capacitor is a modern technological generator and it fails to work within reason. Many people are so frustrated with it that scientists are willing to create one that will be continuous. What was the point in making one? The purpose being, you wouldn't be able to time travel without it, for safety reasons. Time travel would practically be impossible without it, you couldn't travel among the cosmos.

"The collector and the timed switching device are incorporated in the nature of the bee-bees in brine. In conjunction with a magnetic field and the load, the flux capacitor uses the hierarchical structure of the cosmos as a timer! The trilamination of the tiny spheres with selected metals and their subjection to a magnetic field and current (sustained by the load) destabilises the orderliness of the proton, the heavier atom and the "tissue" of individual layers of metal. The matter then seeks to re-establish itself in the fractal set."

As usual, it doesn't help at all. If you can get a working flux capacitor on eBay, it is probably a fake. Another popular theory is that the flux capacitor doesn't do anything, it only creates the illusion of having a function. This, therefore, creates the moral dilemma of a malfunctioning flux capacitor; Is the capacitor really broken, or is it merely our inner minds, our subconscious, trying to express something meaningful about ourselves?

This theory is usually rejected in favour of the belief that the flux capacitor stores pure kinetic energy, thus the required speed of 88 mph (142 kph) in some early model time machines, and dumps it all at the point of climax, thus pushing the vehicle past the speed of light and facilitating time travel. This is purely theoretical, as it is impossible to test due to the imminent failure of the flux capacitor at the time of any experimentation.

For those who are sick and tired of the flux capacitor constant failure to work, don't worry, scientists are already at work developing a continuum trans-functioner, which is due to be finished within a couple of years; the irony of the situation is that if the flux capacitor would do its job in the first place we wouldn't have to wait."

Many thanks for all your suggestions and thoughts - I will try these out and see if I can come up with a logical conclusion for the noise

• 4 weeks later...

Finally sorted this one - the noise on the motorway was unacceptable and as speed increased so did the noise. Appeared to be coming from the lower offside of the windscreen so got Mobile Windscreens back today.

They took the screen out and found that it was not fitted properly. Resealed it and replaced the screen.............what a difference, no noise and a very happy Mrs D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links