Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Door Wheel Mounting Option

whipitonce

Is it possible to purchase a kit that I can mount a spare wheel on my rear door.

I have a 08 model (no Spare wheel model). After having a puncture and having to trash the tyre after using the ***king stupid repair kit and not finding anyone who would repair it after temp mend with Kit, I decided to buy a spare and keep it in my boot but I need the room now.

Is it possible????

Is it possible to purchase a kit that I can mount a spare wheel on my rear door.

I have a 08 model (no Spare wheel model). After having a puncture and having to trash the tyre after using the ***king stupid repair kit and not finding anyone who would repair it after temp mend with Kit, I decided to buy a spare and keep it in my boot but I need the room now.

Is it possible????

There was a thread on here not long ago on this - probably worth searching back...

David

Yes i believe it was Charlie Farlie asking the same question.

I think there were some issues in doing it??

Edit-:

Here is the link.

Yes it can be done. But it means sourcing a complete rear door assembly from a breakers.. I found one but the price complete with glass and all the necessaries was 400 quid .. Add to this Painting and fitting and maybe a cover for the wheel and Your up around the 750 to 800 mark..... Then of course You have the problem of what to do with the old door.. Do You store it in case a new Owner in the future wants the car back standard ???

Wee Charlie.

Yes it can be done. But it means sourcing a complete rear door assembly from a breakers.. I found one but the price complete with glass and all the necessaries was 400 quid .. Add to this Painting and fitting and maybe a cover for the wheel and Your up around the 750 to 800 mark..... Then of course You have the problem of what to do with the old door.. Do You store it in case a new Owner in the future wants the car back standard ???

Wee Charlie.

Ho! My God

what a problem and just for a spare.

£800 pounds a definite no no.

I have four Geolander G91 wheels and Tyres, and the spare is the same size but on a silver metal wheel and a goodyear.

Can you use the repair kits on any tyres? Because if you can, I'll do away with the spare and it will be cheaper to keep buying repair kits and use them.

Is it possible????

As an alternative why not consider a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System ( TPMS )? OK, this sounds pretty unlikely but consider the following:

You pick up a nail or other sharp object which causes a slow(ish ) puncture rather than a blowout. Under normal circumstances the pressure will start to escape from the tyre with a consequent increase in temperature. This situation goes on until you begin to feel the puncture when the rim starts to contact the road. You stop and the tyre may still be in the right place on the rim ( if you are lucky ) so you use the gunge-in-a-tube and 12v compressor to re-inflate the tyre. In my experience this gives a completely false sense of security as the tyre wall will almost certainly be badly damaged ( to the point where a tyre repairer will not work on it ). If you drive on, particularly on a motorway, you could be traveling at 50+ MPH when the tyre does blowout because of the damaged sidewall. Hopefully you reach the side of the road safely! You now have no spare and no chance of a further repair.

With a TPMS you will get notice that the affected tyre pressure is dropping and the temperature increasing, usually in the form of an alarm. When you stop, unless you are very unlucky, the repair is done to a tyre that is safe to use until you get a permanent repair.

I've had a "Tyresure" after-market system on my XT5 since it was new and it has saved me in the above situation. It cost £200 including fitting and rebalancing of the tyres. For me this is good insurance. I have to admit that I do carry a spare as well if I'm on a long trip. HTH

Is it possible????

As an alternative why not consider a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System ( TPMS )? OK, this sounds pretty unlikely but consider the following:

You pick up a nail or other sharp object which causes a slow(ish ) puncture rather than a blowout. Under normal circumstances the pressure will start to escape from the tyre with a consequent increase in temperature. This situation goes on until you begin to feel the puncture when the rim starts to contact the road. You stop and the tyre may still be in the right place on the rim ( if you are lucky ) so you use the gunge-in-a-tube and 12v compressor to re-inflate the tyre. In my experience this gives a completely false sense of security as the tyre wall will almost certainly be badly damaged ( to the point where a tyre repairer will not work on it ). If you drive on, particularly on a motorway, you could be traveling at 50+ MPH when the tyre does blowout because of the damaged sidewall. Hopefully you reach the side of the road safely! You now have no spare and no chance of a further repair.

With a TPMS you will get notice that the affected tyre pressure is dropping and the temperature increasing, usually in the form of an alarm. When you stop, unless you are very unlucky, the repair is done to a tyre that is safe to use until you get a permanent repair.

I've had a "Tyresure" after-market system on my XT5 since it was new and it has saved me in the above situation. It cost £200 including fitting and rebalancing of the tyres. For me this is good insurance. I have to admit that I do carry a spare as well if I'm on a long trip. HTH

Thanks Chris. It's something to consider.

I'll never buy another Rav or any other vehicle that does not have a spare.

Regards Jeff...

I'll never buy another Rav or any other vehicle that does not have a spare.

Regards Jeff...

Your options are gradually being reduced Jeff :wacko:

I know.

Sad isn't it.

They do it to save money, but I wouldn't mind but I paid £21k brand new 3 years ago. :angry:

St

Save money - yes

Save weight - yes both weight of tyre and the extra weight of the door

Save on emissions - big yes

Dont forget you have the other option of the tyre plugging kit, not got one myself but I am certainly considering it as it would be easy than having a full size spare in the boot pretty much most of the time, it has already been discussed on these forums.

Gus

Is it possible????

Was it some time ago that you had your puncture - I think more places will repair now ?

David

Is it possible????

My Friend. I think recognising that You have a puncture is not the question here. I think dealing with the puncture by way of fitting a spare wheel is,,,,,

Wee Charlie.

Is it possible????

My Friend. I think recognising that You have a puncture is not the question here. I think dealing with the puncture by way of fitting a spare wheel is,,,,,

Wee Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

Sorry, I expressed myself rather badly. What I was trying to say was that if you find that you have a puncture before there is structural damage to the tyre caused by it running flat you at least have a chance of dealing with it by using the gunge-in-a-tube or maybe the temporary plug method that other people have recommended. Once the tyre gets flat enough to affect handling or allow the road surface to be felt through the rim you are past that point where this approach can be taken safely. It happened to me on the M1 when I had a Vitara with a spare wheel. I only realised that the structure of the tyre had been seriously damaged when the tyre fitter showed me the inside when he had taken it off the rim for repair. I came within spitting distance of buying a Freelander when I found out that the RAV had no spare wheel ( I have one of the first ones where the spare was missing ). The TPMS, which was Hoovie's idea originally, allowed me a little more confidence in a temporary repair. It can never be a full substitute for a spare. Interestingly SHCM was saying a while back that TPMS will become a requirement on new vehicles in the none too distant future.

Best regards

Chris

Chris. Yes now I understand... I'm looking at making a secondary or false floor if You like for My T180. I will build out lightweight materials and cover it in auto carpet. Yes it will still take up much needed space But My hope is to hide the wheel and maybe put a sectioned box on top of the wheel cover to put everyday bits and bobs in.

OK its make do and mend but for Me it will only have to be used on long trips and as I like the Rav its the best I can come up with for the time being... I will keep You posted....

Wee Charlie.

Anybody brave enough to be the first to try something like this ? -

My link

I think the option of fitting/carrying a spare is far more hassle than it's worth. I've used the "gunk" with no problems at all on a recent puncture. In this case I decided to put a new tyre on as the old only had 2mm so wasn't worth saving. The tyre fitters had no issues dealing with it in fact the bloke on reception said he might not even tell the chap doing the change "just for a laugh"!

So I'm quite happy driving with no spare, the savings on fuel are worth it if nothing else.

Dave

Thanks for the link I'll take deeper look tomorrow... Nighty night all :thumbsup:

I think the option of fitting/carrying a spare is far more hassle than it's worth. I've used the "gunk" with no problems at all on a recent puncture. In this case I decided to put a new tyre on as the old only had 2mm so wasn't worth saving. The tyre fitters had no issues dealing with it in fact the bloke on reception said he might not even tell the chap doing the change "just for a laugh"!

So I'm quite happy driving with no spare, the savings on fuel are worth it if nothing else.

Dave

My puncture was about 18months ago and I used the gunk and drove home and next day contacted Toyota .

They gave me two garages one was too far away and the other one was in Guildford.

The tyre had only done 15000 in 18:months and had loads of tread the company fitter took the tyre off and said with all the white gunk inside the tyre they could not repair it as it would take too long to remove all the gunk to make the repair.

So I ended up have to purchase a new tyre. The other three tyres on the car are still the originals. The Rav has only just done over 31000 up to date.

Chris. Yes now I understand... I'm looking at making a secondary or false floor if You like for My T180. I will build out lightweight materials and cover it in auto carpet. Yes it will still take up much needed space But My hope is to hide the wheel and maybe put a sectioned box on top of the wheel cover to put everyday bits and bobs in.

OK its make do and mend but for Me it will only have to be used on long trips and as I like the Rav its the best I can come up with for the time being... I will keep You posted....

Wee Charlie.

Be very interested in your design Charlie. Anchorman built one for someone else that looked totally in keeping with the RAV. I'm sure there are some pictures somewhere on here. I find the spaces under the boot floor very useful for my PPE and the other odds and ends that make life on "site" easier so I'm a bit loath to abandon fairly easy access to that facility. Hmmmm! you've got me thinking now :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

Be very interested in your design Charlie. Anchorman built one for someone else that looked totally in keeping with the RAV. I'm sure there are some pictures somewhere on here. I find the spaces under the boot floor very useful for my PPE and the other odds and ends that make life on "site" easier so I'm a bit loath to abandon fairly easy access to that facility. Hmmmm! you've got me thinking now :thumbsup:

Chris. We are trying to deal with a flawed design.. I will make a cover in lightweight materials I'm looking at sheet fibreglass that I can cut and join as I'm pretty handy with Fglass.. It will have the advantage of being thin and light. Thinness is going to play a part as initial measurements indicate there isn't much space fore and aft when the rear seats are fully back. I will make it fit snugly into the rear nearside corner of the boot floor. It will be covered in Auto grade carpet to match as closely as possible to the existing.

For Me it will only go into the car for those longer journeys so access to the under floor cubbys would only be affected when the spare is on board. It would be very easy to hinge the floor anyway so You could flip up one side for access to the kit You use most....

Wee Charlie.

Wee Charlie.

Chris. We are trying to deal with a flawed design.. I will make a cover in lightweight materials I'm looking at sheet fibreglass that I can cut and join as I'm pretty handy with Fglass.. It will have the advantage of being thin and light. Thinness is going to play a part as initial measurements indicate there isn't much space fore and aft when the rear seats are fully back. I will make it fit snugly into the rear nearside corner of the boot floor. It will be covered in Auto grade carpet to match as closely as possible to the existing.

For Me it will only go into the car for those longer journeys so access to the under floor cubbys would only be affected when the spare is on board. It would be very easy to hinge the floor anyway so You could flip up one side for access to the kit You use most....

Wee Charlie.

Morning Charlie - GRP sounds a good solution. I imagine a sandwich construction with a foam core perhaps? 'Ever played with carbon? - I'm starting to get a enthusiastic about this! Maybe remove the existing boot floor and built in storage first? :Jumpy:

I will make it fit snugly into the rear nearside corner of the boot floor.

Wee Charlie.

Charlie, if you site it nearside it makes putting other stuff in more awkward as bulk of space would be at the hinge side. Additionally, the pocket in the rear door gives a fraction more depth on that side. Not sure what the overall diameter of your 18" wheel is but my 17" one with standard tyre lays down on the offside and I can shut the door with rear seats fully back and at a comfortable rake angle.

HTH

Congrats on the star by the way :thumbsup:

I will make it fit snugly into the rear nearside corner of the boot floor.

Wee Charlie.

Charlie, if you site it nearside it makes putting other stuff in more awkward as bulk of space would be at the hinge side. Additionally, the pocket in the rear door gives a fraction more depth on that side. Not sure what the overall diameter of your 18" wheel is but my 17" one with standard tyre lays down on the offside and I can shut the door with rear seats fully back and at a comfortable rake angle.

HTH

Congrats on the star by the way :thumbsup:

Thanks David !! The 18 inch wheel is a big beast !! Im still playing with where to put it so thanks for the input !! With You being the master of posting links could You find the post of Anchormans wheel cover ??

Chris.. Fibreglass and all the resins colours and components I can get FOC. Carbon WOW... But expensive....

Wee Charlie.

Thanks David !! The 18 inch wheel is a big beast !! Im still playing with where to put it so thanks for the input !! With You being the master of posting links could You find the post of Anchormans wheel cover ??

Chris.. Fibreglass and all the resins colours and components I can get FOC. Carbon WOW... But expensive....

Wee Charlie.

This is what SCHM and Anchs came up with: My link Go to post #29

Very neat :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

This is what SCHM and Anchs came up with: My link Go to post #29

Very neat :thumbsup:

Thanks David !! Yes very good indeed !! Good point about being able to get the wheel out without having to unload the boot !! Wheel bag is a great idea as well....

Thanks again !

Wee Charlie.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links