Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Aygo Go! Stereo

Hi there,

I have an Aygo Go! With the standard head unit + TomTom with iPod and bluetooth connectivity. I have swapped the door and dash Speakers and also have an under seat sub wired into the front door Speakers. This has been working great for a few months now. However the other day I was listening to music on volume 50 and it suddenly stopped. The head unit still functions and displays "Radio 1" or will switch to AUX and let me select a song on my iPod, but there is no sound.

I took the head unit out and assumed some of my wiring had come loose for the subwoofer but this wasn’t the case. All connections were fine, and I tested them by connecting a hi-fi to the brown iso that connects to the head unit and testing all of the Speakers.

I’ve come to the conclusion that there is an issue with the head unit itself. I now have 2 options, fit an aftermarket stereo or buy another standard one from eBay.

If I fit a standard head unit again, I’m worried it will break again. Could it be the internal amplifier is not powerful enough and it doesn’t expect to be on volume 50 or was I just unlucky?

If I fit an aftermarket stereo, is there a connector I could use to make sure it is compatible with the Aygo Go! TomTom without losing any functionality?

Many thanks in advance.

Put the original stuff back and see if the dealer will swap the head unit under warranty. If he does then no doubt when you get the car back you will play with the setup again. If it blows again you know that you will have to change the head unit.

You can get line out from the head unit and use an external amp. My stereo has no internal amp, I broke it :ffs:

But you have to have some electronic soldering skills, it is not easy as plug wires.

If you don't find any solution, tell me.

Hi there,

I have an Aygo Go! With the standard head unit + TomTom with iPod and Bluetooth connectivity. I have swapped the door and dash speakers and also have an under seat sub wired into the front door speakers. This has been working great for a few months now. However the other day I was listening to music on volume 50 and it suddenly stopped. The head unit still functions and displays "Radio 1" or will switch to AUX and let me select a song on my iPod, but there is no sound.

I took the head unit out and assumed some of my wiring had come loose for the subwoofer but this wasn’t the case. All connections were fine, and I tested them by connecting a hi-fi to the brown iso that connects to the head unit and testing all of the speakers.

I’ve come to the conclusion that there is an issue with the head unit itself. I now have 2 options, fit an aftermarket stereo or buy another standard one from eBay.

If I fit a standard head unit again, I’m worried it will break again. Could it be the internal amplifier is not powerful enough and it doesn’t expect to be on volume 50 or was I just unlucky?

If I fit an aftermarket stereo, is there a connector I could use to make sure it is compatible with the Aygo Go! TomTom without losing any functionality?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi :) I've been looking into fittins speakers/subs to the original aygo sound system and whilst I've had a little bit of luck the sound is absolute crap! Now I have an aygo GO I've been told that if I change the headunit that the satnav won't work (well the audio part won't work anyway) but if I was to power new Speakers and a sub thru the original head unit it will basically not work or end up ruining the sub or the head unit cos the lack of power output from the headunit isn't enuff to power both sub and aftermarket Speakers :( its very annoying and disappointing, I do believe thought, as long as ur Speakers and sub r in good working order, if u ditch the crap head unit and get an aftermarket one with good outputs then u will have the sound you want...in my 1st aygo I changed the head unit and the sound was immense, now I don't really have any option unless I wanna lose one of my fave features (the computer thingy that runs off the OEM in the original head unit) or get an external amp which will cost me £300 not incl fitting and speakers haha...I have a new sub which cost 180 and it sounds absolutely pants cos of the crappy lack of output :(

You can get line out from the head unit and use an external amp. My stereo has no internal amp, I broke it :ffs:

But you have to have some electronic soldering skills, it is not easy as plug wires.

If you don't find any solution, tell me.

Hi :) I've had the 'external amp' option thrown at me also...are they really that expensive? i was told 120 for the amp and a further 150 for a power box? (i dnknw wat that is) infact wen i think of an external amp i think of thisbig amp that will take up yet more room in my tiny car hahaa...wat is it and how much can u get them for and r they any good? :)

Hi :) I've had the 'external amp' option thrown at me also...are they really that expensive? i was told 120 for the amp and a further 150 for a power box? (i dnknw wat that is) infact wen i think of an external amp i think of thisbig amp that will take up yet more room in my tiny car hahaa...wat is it and how much can u get them for and r they any good? :)

I don't sell anything. I only can help showing you how to add line-out to the aygo stereo and send the audio to a an external amp. If stokenash has blown the internal amp, he still can get audio from it and use an external amp.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, and for my poor english. I'm from Spain.

I doubt that I should now go with this one. Actually, I'm looking for a small car, one i can do short trips and little run arounds in with really low insurance and great fuel economy, as well as being reliable and stylish, so i naturally went straight to the Toyota Aygo. I'm a cash strapped student so the Aygo looks great to me, group 1 insurance with an average of 61.4mpg with the petrol engine, and i can get a 2006 Aygo with under 40,000 miles for under/around £4000. So it looks like this car could last me a long time. Also, it's a really reliable brand that will hold its value. This sounds perfect for me, especially as i even love the style of it (i find most small cheap cars to look just that, small and cheap. The Aygo, however, looks expensive and gorgeous).

My other option is a Honda Jazz. My Dad wants me to get this one... it's an equally reliable brand, except it's a bit bigger than i was looking for and the insurance group is like, 4 or 5, with less than 50mpg. The styling is ok too...except it lacks a sparkle for me (i blame my Mum for this, as she wants to get one of these lol) My Dad makes a good point that it's a good car too, but i'm concerned it's going to cost me too much to run and maintain in the future with its higher insurance and lower mpg...not to mention the road tax. The Aygo's road tax ranges from £20-£35 for the entire year, while the Jazz costs around £130 i think...and to a poor student these things really matter.

I want to get a really good car that's cheap to run, safe and reliable (both reliable brands, and both got a 4 star NCAP safety rating) both in the long and short term.... so what should i get?

Also, i'm aware that the Citroen C1 and the peugeot 107 are basically the same as the Aygo, but it was Toyota who made the engine and made most of the car, so i don't expect its reliability to be too much affected.

Anyway, which car should i get? I'm seriously torn and need as many opinions and input as i can get.

Anyway, which car should i get? I'm seriously torn and need as many opinions and input as i can get.

Hi Addie,

In my house i own an Aygo (10Reg) and the wife owns a Honda Jazz (07Reg). Both are very good cars and both have been reliable.

The Aygo is alot cheaper to run as i regularly get 60+MPG, but the Jazz averages about 45MPG. Also Aygo road tax is £20, Jazz is £110. Aygo insurance is also cheaper.

However, the Jazz is much more comfortable on long trips when carrying "things" and people. For example when going mountain biking, we can fit two bikes and a weekends worth of kit in the Jazz with no problems at all and it still drives fine on the motorway and up hills, but the Aygo cant fit in as much stuff and also struggles up hills when it is loaded up (even when it just has 4 adults in it you can really notice when there is a hill on a motorway). The Aygo is fine when i am commuting to work and when visiting friends/family just not particularly practical when wanting to fit big/awkward stuff in it!

Really, i think i am saying that as a cheap day to day car the Aygo is probably best, but if you are intending to go on many long distance journeys with lots of people/equipment then the jazz is also a good pick.

Hope that helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links