Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door Open Light Always On

Mark Olive

My Gen 7 Celica developed a fault last night - the 'door open' warning on the dash won't go off. I have tried opening and shutting all doors of course, with no success. This means remote locking no longer works, but I can fortunately still lock the car manually with the key.

I realised that the internal light in the boot stays on when all doors are closed, so I presume that's where the fault is. I cannot find an obvious switch/sensor in the boot to signal that it is closed, unlike the doors - is it in the locking mechanism itself? Also, is it possible to take this mechanism apart and fix/replace the sensor myself? Any information/pictures of the procedure would be helpful! Thanks.

Normally this issue is a case of the boot not being shut properly. Been there & done it!

I’d suggest you open everything (doors, boot & bonnet), then one at a time give them a good close. Then try using the fob to lock the car.

I’ve not heard of this being a common fault. But the fob not locking the car is common for a door/boot not being shut properly.

I've tried closing it a few dozen times now, and checked for any obstructions. The boot closes normally and locks fine.

Nobody's had this problem? Or has had to take the boot locking mechanism apart for other reasons?

• 1 year later...

I've had the same problem with my 05 Celica.

Basically I started with the boot light not working / central locking re locking after 30's when opening boot. Suspecting a door lock issue I removed back door panel to find that lock open switch was not connected. Upon reconnecting I found exactly same issue as you where the door open light was permenantly on/car won't lock from key fob - boot light works though!

So I removed the door lock itself to find that the switch extends into the lock(30mm metal strip). It appears that this has fractured over time(with previous owner) and now is constantly touching the metal casing(closed circuit). There seems to be no other alternative other than to replace the lock.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links