Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wonky Suspension

tingtong101

Hi Guys, I have a 2010 iQ 1.0 and i've noticed its on the wonk at the rear, the tyre pressures are all good but its about 4-5mm lower on the offside rear, compared to the nearside rear, it doesn't sound much but its quite noticeable when looking at the rear of the vehicle.

The front suspension is even both sides, I hadn't noticed this before with the car and i've owned it from new.

Has anyone else noticed this on there car? Is it normal? Or do I have a slightly collapsed spring?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Hi Guys, I have a 2010 iQ 1.0 and i've noticed its on the wonk at the rear, the tyre pressures are all good but its about 4-5mm lower on the offside rear, compared to the nearside rear, it doesn't sound much but its quite noticeable when looking at the rear of the vehicle.

The front suspension is even both sides, I hadn't noticed this before with the car and i've owned it from new.

Has anyone else noticed this on there car? Is it normal? Or do I have a slightly collapsed spring?

Just a daft thought..if the fuel tank, which is on the nearside, is not full then it is possible that the nearside of the car could be very slightly higher than the offside.

As more fuel is added then the difference would diminish.

I know, clutching at straws, but the amount of fuel in a car must affect the ride height, and if the tank is offset as in an IQ, then the ride height from side to side could vary. 4mm is not very much.

The front springs are much stiffer and the difference would only show up at the rear.

Another thing could be if the driver is very heavy and a passenger is not normally carried then the offside suspension could "settle" more than the nearside.

Or the car has a fault!

Thanks for speedy reply, there is no one sat in the car when i'm looking at it and the tank is half full.

Its booked into Turners Toyota in Cambridge to be looked at on the 19th.....it's quite noticeable though :(

Thanks for speedy reply, there is no one sat in the car when i'm looking at it and the tank is half full.

Its booked into Turners Toyota in Cambridge to be looked at on the 19th.....it's quite noticeable though :(

Please let us know their findings after they check it.

Have it checked,

Incaset a Spring has gone, not seated ect. Someting worn or faulty.

But

I think though you will find your car is 'Handed' for driving in the UK on the left carraigeway.

Look at most cars parked on the flat & you will see it to some extent on all of them.

More obvious on some more than on others.

ie,

Roads have cambers & vehicles are built to suit the country they are being sold in.

Some vehicles have 'Handed' springs.

The Drivers side of vehicles always have a Driver & a steering wheel, Steering pump etc and drive with them near the white line, (the high side of the road.).

The suspension suits driving along to be able to stay driving straight.

*Try sometimes when its safe, crossing the white line and driving along the wrong lane, not quite so easy to proceed without correcting the steering*

Taking a left hand drive car from main land Europe to the UK & driving here it is not so noticable because the Factories design & set the suspension geometory to suit their roads which are not cambered as much as ours.

When we lift offroad 4x4's suspension for offroad only we remove the 'Handed' road springs and put on matched rear & front springs.

With Suzuki 4x4's the lean on standard suspension is called the 'Gangster lean'.

Some will poo poo all i wrote here,

but i have played about with vehicle suspension, Castor, Track etc for many years.

Never surprised how often people buy replacement springs and do not check for left or right hand poundage & length..

In short, if worried have your suspension checked out.

george

Hmm... really sounds like a broken spring/coil.

You have to lift the car up, so, the rear tires do not touch the ground anymore... and look at the springs...

Ìf they break... its mostly at the end... so up above or way below....

Peter

Let us know... what it was...

PS As George here up above... does say it right.. have them springs tested... easy done...

Tingtong did you mean 45mm or 4 to 5mm in your original post?

I assumed you wrote 4 to 5mm, which is a very small amount and could be accounted for by the reasons I gave previously, although a fault could still be present.

40mm on the other hand would be very noticable and probably due to a failed spring.

Tingtong did you mean 45mm or 4 to 5mm in your original post?

I assumed you wrote 4 to 5mm, which is a very small amount and could be accounted for by the reasons I gave previously, although a fault could still be present.

40mm on the other hand would be very noticable and probably due to a failed spring.

Hi, sorry, yeah I meant 4 to 5mm......45mm would be VERY noticeable!

My thoughts would be that a spring might not be seated properly on the rubber.

Fish

Rubber??? Could be a very good suggestion, Fish.

It's a kind of a "clamp"... that fits around the coil/spring.

Left upper:

DSC00324-1-1.jpg

Left lower:

DSC00324-1-2.jpg

Here a better view Right Upper...

DSC00181-1-1.jpg

From the lower part I do not have a good pic/jpg.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, my iQ went in today and after a 2 hour wait I was told yes "it is 5mm lower" but that's within spec for the vehicle. My car was cleaned and I was again told about the steering rack recall that I have declined to have fixed as I don't fancy having my lower dash pulled to bits. The service was good but I'm surprised at the outcome, I would have thought it would have required a spring replacement? What are your thoughts guys? Cheers :0)

If the Service Manager has signed the Work Shop Time Sheet confirming that the Suspension has been inspected & it is within allowed tollerance i would accept that.

(then i would go to an independant workshop and ask them to check my suspension)

I seriously advise you to have the re-call work carried out, it is rather important & in the event of an incident you could find yourself with a problem regarding your insurance company if it was found that you had ignored a Re-call which was instigated because of a concern over safety.

5mm difference in suspension height to drive on cambered UK roads would concern me less than steering that could fail.

Take pictures of your interior before submitting our vehicle for any work, and accept no damage,

get the Rececption desk person to come look at your interior before puting it in their care.

do not accept it back if they put the steering wheel back on squint.

george

Hey guys, I called the garage a couple of days ago to request some documentation that outlined what was considered "within spec" with regards to the difference in ride height between the off side and near side rear suspension, the guy on service reception was extremely helpful and said he'd get it in the post for me. I received the documentation in the post today and it details "tire inspection" "Measure Vehicle Height" "inspect Camber" and finally "inspect Toe-In" but nowhere in there does it mention the vehicle height difference or tolerances for that. I called up and spoke to the same guy (again very helpful) and told him that there was no reference to the 5mm difference in ride height being acceptable and could I speak to there service manager. I also said I was slightly miffed that i'd wasted 2 hours of my day off to effectively just have my car valeted and that I was still no further forward in actually finding out if Toyota did indeed see this difference in ride height acceptable. He said if it was his car he wouldn't be happy with it either.....they would arrange a courtesy car and he would call me tomorrow to arrange for the car to be booked in and whatever part needed replacing to fix the problem would be replaced! I'm now left feeling slightly confused......and slightly dare I say cynical as it almost seems they fobbed me off.....then sent docs that didn't explain the issue (but were suitably technical and confusing) and then when challenged on the issue and the mention of speaking to Toyota UK now want to fix a problem that they had previously said was "within spec" hmmmmm! I'm pleased that the issue now looks as if it will be resolved soon but annoyed that its wasted and will waste more of my time to do so. I'll let you know what happens.....

WOW.... very strange indeed... :eek:

Good hopes they will replace the springs now, eh..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links