Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Samsung Galaxy Mini + Alternatives

Red diesel

So the old Nokia is deciding to have a hissy fit - it works fine when at college

But at my parents place it picks up reception whenever it feels like it, clearly an antanna issue because all the other mobiles in the family work fine and the

damn Nokia also used to work fine - until about a month ago.

Given that i like looking up the internet - im going to bite the bullet and get a proper smartphone.

So has anybody on here got any experience of the Samsung Galaxy Mini, they seem cheap but im wondering if theres a reason for this that im missing.

I would also be interested in any alternatives to said Samsung Galaxy Mini

Happy new year and thanks in advance for any advice offered

Red diesel

It will never get to rub shoulders with the big and scary smartphones. But it's not all bad you know. Not bad at all actually for what basically is an entry level smartphone with complete connectivity, social networking, internet, Android apps and music. It's the right kind of device for smartphone newbies. A good option if you just don't want to spend a truck-load of money on a smartphone.

Key Features

Quad-Band GSM and dual-band 3G support

7.2 Mbps HSDPA

3.14" 256K-color QVGA TFT touchscreen

ARMv6 600MHz processor, 384MB RAM

Android OS v2.2 (Froyo) with TouchWiz v3.0 UI

160MB internal storage, hot-swappable MicroSD slot, 2GB card included

3.15 MP fixed-focus camera with geotagging

GPS receiver with A-GPS

Stereo FM radio with RDS

3.5mm audio jack

Document editor

Accelerometer and proximity sensor

Swype text input

MicroUSB port (charging) and stereo bluetooth 2.1

Social network integration

Good build, youthful styling

Main disadvantages

Low screen resolution limits choice of apps

Fixed focus camera

No secondary video-call camera

No flash, no dedicated camera key

Poor video recording QVGA @ 15fps

The Galaxy Mini was not made to impress. It was made to serve and be simple to use. It's a solid little smartphone that has all the important ingredients. It can do most of the things your Galaxy S can, just without the stuff that pushes the price up.

Poor screen and a low spec camera spoil an otherwise reasonable mobile.

Not knowing if you are going on contract or PAYG this may be of interest as you can do it either way.

It might be worth looking at.

HTC_WildfireS_white_spec.jpg

The HTC Wildfire S is what you get when you rub technology and design togetheryou create something special.

The 3.2-inch touchscreen and glass display combine to produce an enthralling user experience whether you are sending an email or texting friends.

Capture fun memories with the 5 megapixel camera, or listen to the music on the FM radio.

With so many options available, this phone will be hot for some time to come.

dimensions

weight: 102g

length: 101.3 mm

width: 59.4 mm

depth: 12.4 mm

Battery life

talk time: 7 hours standby:

5 megapixel auto focus camera

3.2-inch touchscreen

Signal Boost

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

accelerometer

touch sensitive controls

loudspeaker

3.5 mm stereo headphone plug

GPRS

Contacts Backup

HSDPA, 7.2Mbps

HSUPA

Bluetooth® 3.0

micro USB v2.0

geo-tagging

Java games and apps

FM radio RDS

3G

quad band

MMS

multimedia

I have a Galaxy S2 and love it!

- I didn't want a smartphone either, but my trusty C902 broke when I took it to bits... (like most of my cars)

I've had a HTC Desire HD for over a year and now it's sporting a custom rom with all the latest goodies on it and it rocks. :thumbsup:

utf-8BMjAxMi0wMS0wNV8xNy00NS0yOS5qcGc.jpg

Roll on the devs with Ice Cream Sandwich

Unfortunately i think the HTC desire might be bit too pricey - shame :crybaby: .

But the Samsung should do the job - just one thing though - will i be able to post on this site using a Galaxy Mini.

The Nokia will let you browse but you can't log in and post and what not - its a basic as :censor: when it comes to internet capabilities.

That wasn't an issue when i bought it 2 years ago - at the time i thought internet browsing on a phone was a waste of time - expensive and you couldn't read it properly and stuff.

I only got into browsing the internet on the phone when i was bored out of my mind one night and said :censor: it i will test out the phone internet. And it was okay(ish) at the time and cost a lot less than i thought.

Looking forward to getting a smart phone - could very well be posting tomorrow evening on here with a smart phone - if it can do it lol

Thanks very much for the help

Red diesel

I see no reason why you can't post as long as you have a good internet connection, I do when I'm out and about at work. :thumbsup:

If this works my new Galaxy will have successfully posted on Toc

Thanks for the help

Red diesel

I very nearly went with the HTC Sensation, I like the Sense UI.

I played with them both side by side at the shop and settled on the Galaxy S2 because it was thiner had a better screen and a longer Battery life.

The girl that served me in the vodafone shop was cute too :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links