Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Leaking From Expansion Tank Overflow Pipe

steve evz

Hello i hope you can help, when i start my Avensis 2.2 D-4D i hear water rushing through the heater matrix, i have been losing coolant which leaks from the tank expansion pipe, i first noticed the heater started to blow cold for a few mins before returning back hot. The engine temp still sits normal after 40 mins motorway driving, recently i can top up a half a litre a day, but continues to steam/drip from expansion pipe, i'm hoping its an airlock and not a blown head gasket on my 57 reg 94k miles

Thanks

Steve

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistermena

• steve evz

• cabcurtains

• T5NELtim

Hello i hope you can help, when i start my Avensis 2.2 D-4D i hear water rushing through the heater matrix, i have been losing coolant which leaks from the tank expansion pipe, i first noticed the heater started to blow cold for a few mins before returning back hot. The engine temp still sits normal after 40 mins motorway driving, recently i can top up a half a litre a day, but continues to steam/drip from expansion pipe, i'm hoping its an airlock and not a blown head gasket on my 57 reg 94k miles

Thanks

Steve

Sounds like you have the dredded head gasket issue! Have you noticed any white streaks on the black engine cover or a tinge of black in the coolant? Good news is this is covered under Toyota extended good will warranty which covers cars upto 7 years old and 112k on the clock.

Hot foot it down to your Toyota dealer and have a pressure test and if this proves positive you'll get a new 3/4 engine FOC...

Thanks for your fast reply

I have noticed a black tinge in the coolant, i have only had the car 3 months as it was an ex lease car, its got full service history but not all by Toyota, would i still have a case?

Steve

Thanks for your fast reply

I have noticed a black tinge in the coolant, i have only had the car 3 months as it was an ex lease car, its got full service history but not all by Toyota, would i still have a case?

Steve

Then you are in the pound seats mate! You will get a new engine as it doesn't have to be a full Toyota service history! Your new engine will be shipped from Japan and take about 3-5 days to fit... Now how good is that mate! All thanks to Mr Toyota...

Blimey, i didn't expect that answer, was just looking at the lack of pennies in the bank after christmas and breaking the news to my Mrs.. I will call first thing, would this explain the lack of power? Just doesn't seem to pull like it did when i had it.

Blimey, i didn't expect that answer, was just looking at the lack of pennies in the bank after christmas and breaking the news to my Mrs.. I will call first thing, would this explain the lack of power? Just doesn't seem to pull like it did when i had it.

When you get a chance look at the TSB that I posted for you... This also covers the EGR valve that buggers up and could also be the issue that your having. Print the TSB out and take it with you to the dealers just in case they say they dont know out about it, which has happened to some members before. You have all the classic signs of the head issue!...

Ok will do, seriously impressed with your help.

Thanks Again

Ok will do, seriously impressed with your help.

Thanks Again

Not a problem my mate. Let us know how you get on...

Good luck with it :D

The latest, Toyota confirmed absolutely everything you said, now booked in at 8am in the morning for Analysis

just hope they don't find a reason not to fix it!

Will keep you posted.

Fingers crossed all goes to plan either way :thumbsup: you wont be the first if it gets an engine under warranty.

Mr M has memorised the TSB now. Mr T has sent a hitman to stop him :gun_bandana:

Hello, i have just looked at my service book, the first six services were done at Halfords (Halfords?? Are they reputable these days) last 2 services at Toyoya (phew) last service was over 12 months ago & 18,000 miles ago.

Do you think it's been maintained enough?

cheers Mr M & Mr T

Regards

Steve

There are some guidelines somewhere on here, 1 missed/late was classed as reasonable if i remember correctly. Halfords is probably ok as its clearly a proper business, as to whether i would want them to service my car is another story :lol:

Last service 18k ago is a bit shoddy, should be every 10k.

The latest, Toyota confirmed absolutely everything you said, now booked in at 8am in the morning for Analysis

Will keep you posted.

Its in the bag my mate! Dont worry....You'll get an engine... :toast::yahoo:

Will keep you posted.

Its in the bag my mate! Dont worry....You'll get an engine... :toast:

Fingers crossed all goes to plan either way :thumbsup: you wont be the first if it gets an engine under warranty.

Mr M has memorised the TSB now. Mr T has sent a hitman to stop him :gun_bandana:

:yahoo:

LMAO! :angel_not::arabia: I think I have now mate! hahahaha... Its okay as I'll borrow Charlies gun and shoot um back! and if that doesn't work I'll just use me Aikido or some house bricks on them! :angel::2guns::chinese::donatello::nerd::naughty::laughing::nopity::yahoo:

Blimey they're dropping like flies at the moment!!!

I wonder what % of engines have failed

More than I wanna think about Tim! :angry2: :( :wacko::blink:

still think that it's a minority.

& I still don't think that we've seen a complaint for an engine without the dates on the TSB (i.e. for an Avensis built 2009 or later).

still think that it's a minority.

& I still don't think that we've seen a complaint for an engine without the dates on the TSB (i.e. for an Avensis built 2009 or later).

No I guess they have sorted it now (hopefully) so issues will be limited to injector failure, DPF failure, DMF failure :clown:.

I expect that, due to the required mileage to cause the necessary carbon build up, there will be a peak of new cases (perhaps now) and it will tail off. Unfortunately some poor buggers are going to get this issue outside 7yrs 112k pretty soon.

I would not want to own one of these outside warranty now though...(7yrs)

latest, Toyota have had the car just 2 hrs and have called to say the Head Gasket has failed, the technician is confident its caused by carbon deposit build up on the pistons. They have asked my permision to strip the engine down. They did mention if it's not been caused by this issue i will be billed with labour time for stripping and rebuilding! But then was reassured again that the Technician is confident it will be covered by warranty. Fingers crossed.

Steve

latest, Toyota have had the car just 2 hrs and have called to say the Head Gasket has failed, the technician is confident its caused by carbon deposit build up on the pistons. They have asked my permision to strip the engine down. They did mention if it's not been caused by this issue i will be billed with labour time for stripping and rebuilding! But then was reassured again that the Technician is confident it will be covered by warranty. Fingers crossed.

Steve

I wouldn't give them permission to do this mate¬! This issue should be covered under the TOC and you should push for a new 3/4 engine! The bill could be xxx of pounds! Contact Toyota UK and tell them what the dealers has said and see what they have to say!...

Hello Mr M,

Just called Toyota UK, they informed me that it is standard procedure to request a strip down from the Customer to fully determin that the problem is covered by the warranty. I mentioned that i would like an engine replacement but they said they would have to conduct this strip down first.

Nervous now,

Hello Mr M,

Just called Toyota UK, they informed me that it is standard procedure to request a strip down from the Customer to fully determin that the problem is covered by the warranty. I mentioned that i would like an engine replacement but they said they would have to conduct this strip down first.

Nervous now,

Well I've not heard of this and many other members on here haven't had to Shell out for it as they just did an engine replacement! Sounds like you might be getting a bit of a run around! If the car is carboned up I'd ask how that happened then! Because if this is the EGR valve that caused this then it is covered on the TOC!

Will do, hopefully it's heading in the right direction, just a thought but wouldn't it be in their best interest to change the engine as they just bill Toyota for the work, more work for the franchise means more proffit? Or have i got a misunderstanding?

Will do, hopefully it's heading in the right direction, just a thought but wouldn't it be in their best interest to change the engine as they just bill Toyota for the work, more work for the franchise means more proffit? Or have i got a misunderstanding?

Send me a PM mate if you wanna have a chat on the phone about this...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links