Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Leaking From Expansion Tank Overflow Pipe

steve evz

I had the dreaded coolant leak on '57 2.2D, which has been confirmed as a Head Gasket problem. Just called my local Toyta Centre who to my great surprise just booked the car in and confirmed that they would fix it free of charge once they have diagnosed it themselves.

The only point is that the car was last serviced by a non-Toyota garage, and they said that I would need to get the 60,000 service done with them for the repair to be done. Does this ring true with anyone?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistermena

• steve evz

• cabcurtains

• T5NELtim

The extended warranty thats in place for the known HG isssue says on the TSB that as long as its been reasonably maitained then you should be fine! The car doesn't have to have a full main dealer service history in order to make use of the warranty. If they want you to get the car serviced there, then I'd just do it! as you'll end up with a new 3/4 engine worth over 5k at the end of the day...

The extended warranty thats in place for the known HG isssue says on the TSB that as long as its been reasonably maitained then you should be fine! The car doesn't have to have a full main dealer service history in order to make use of the warranty. If they want you to get the car serviced there, then I'd just do it! as you'll end up with a new 3/4 engine worth over 5k at the end of the day...

Absolutely, so long as the service isnt £6500 biggrin.pngtongue.pngwink.png

Absolutely, so long as the service isnt £6500 biggrin.pngtongue.pngwink.png

You never know with Mr T...

• 1 month later...

hi,

First of all this the far best forum (information wise). i have 2007 avensis 2.2 d4d and same as all head gasket is gone.

Having the same simptoms like everyone ie white spots on the engine cover, water rushing noise through heater matrix. Taken down to the local toyota dealer for diagnosis and there thechnician confirms in two minutes its the head gasket.

Drop off the car today and toyota already aproved the repair without any hassel. Still didn't know why the few people having bad experience about that problem Oh and that was an ex lease care HSBC with full toyota service history.

Just a question this new 3/4 engine and part will it cure the problem or its just a temp fix? thanks will post once get the car back ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Really interesting. I'm having the same/similar problems on my 2008 Avensis 2.0 d4d TR. Is the 2.0 litre covered or is it just the 2.2? Help please,Jerry

Really interesting. I'm having the same/similar problems on my 2008 Avensis 2.0 d4d TR. Is the 2.0 litre covered or is it just the 2.2? Help please,Jerry

Yes Jerry the 2.0 litter are also covered and the extended warranty 7 years or 112k miles.

hi,

First of all this the far best forum (information wise). i have 2007 avensis 2.2 d4d and same as all head gasket is gone.

Just a question this new 3/4 engine and part will it cure the problem or its just a temp fix? thanks will post once get the car back ;)

An update to the post which was long due. Had my car back with in 3 days with new 3/4 engine. All is good at the moment going in again next week for first 1000 mile checkup / service. And thumbs up to Toyota Snow Southampton for providing such a excellent service. Avery happy customer.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys... I have an Avensis 2.2d4d on a 56 plate. My car went in for a routine service at an independant garage (not Toyota) and the mechanic noticed white water like marks on the engine cover, plus the coolant was low. I had the servicing work carried out (using genuine Toyota parts) and my mileage was showing 111,998. I can also hear water flowing through the heater matrix when i start the car in the morning. I think my car is most probably suffering from this head gasket issue too. I decided to replace the radiator cap (genuine Toyota cap) and its still loosing coolant!!! So i decided to call my local Toyota garage and spoke to the service manager who acknowledged this is a common problem with this engine and also confirmed the extended warranty does cover the engine. He went onto say the mileage cutoff point is 111,814 and because my car was showing 111,998, he would need to refer to Toyota HQ to see if they would honour this under the warranty, as i am slightly above the mileage cutoff point. The next day he called me and said Toyota have refused to honour this under the warranty. So far i have driven a few hundred miles since the service and i haven't noticed any water marks on the engine cover and no sign of overheating or loosing power. But the coolant is still seeping through the overflow pipe next to the radiator cap??? I haven't yet done a pressure test so cant be certain it's definately the head gasket???

Any help / advice would be very much appreciated. Can i still somehow get Toyota to replace my engine if i carry out a pressure test which confirms it's definately this head gasket issue???

My car is showing all the symptoms of head gasket failure too. Booked in to my local toyota dealership in 2 weeks as that's the earliest they have a courtesy car available.

Hoping/assuming it's covered under the extended warranty as it's done 97k miles, been serviced 9 times and is 4 years old so well within the 7 year/112k parameters.

Didn't expect this from a toyota but as long as I'm not out of pocket I can't complain too much I guess. Think I'll buy a petrol next. I agree with Mr M - diesels are getting too complicated, therefore, less reliable now.

Fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, After reading this thread, I too have the dreaded HG problem - my car is Toyota Avensis 2 LTR d4d - I've taken this too the dealer yesterday and they have done the test and confirm that engine is shot. So I need a new engine. The slight problem is that I have only 80% servicing and so they have faxed Toyota UK and I'm still waiting the answer to see if I can have a new engine fitted FOC. My car is 2 months over 5 yrs and has 68000 miles on the clock. I hope they will do this. Any comment?

You don't need a full Toyota service history to claim against the 7 year 112k extended warranty! Take a look as the TSB on this subject thats been posted on the forum many times... You'll be fine. My mate Scott will be along shortly to tell you all about it! :drunk:

Hi Mistermena, Thank you for your thoughts this gives me hope, when I said that I have only 80% servicing this is because one of the services was done about 12000 miles late. However this was serviced last about 12 months ago and it went through the MOT only about 2 months ago. In between I had other small jobs like tyres, brake pads etc. So is this still OK and do you think that I will get this put through. my fingers are crossed along with everything else lol.

12000 miles late is rather alot tbh mate! You may find that you're on a sticky wicket. Lets hope that Toyota look kindly upon you here. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on... :drunk:

"He went onto say the mileage cutoff point is 111,814 and because my car was showing 111,998, "

How convenient for them! From which cloud in the sky was that cut-off point mileage plucked? That just looks like a totally random number picked out of thin air for their convenience. Why not 111,000 or 112,000?

think that it's 180000km & that's wht it translates to in miles.

Hi Mistermena, Great news for me.... Toyota have just called and said that they would honour my out of extended warranty and are going to replace my engine. They say it's a reconditioned engine not a new one but, eh this is still good isn't it! I have booked the car in next Saturday and they have said that it will take a week before; I can get my car back. They say that the clock mileage on my car will not change but that I will be getting a new engine number that I will have to send into DVLA and that I will only have to get the next service after 10,000 miles. How long do you think a reconditioned engine will last - is this almost as good as having a new engine? What exactly does the engine entail? Thanks very much for this forum, without this I would have been in a bit of a mess...

Whey hay! happy days mate. You should get a new 3/4 engine made in Japan and shipped over to the UK. They use to re-build the engines over here at the dealer using new engine block/crank/shells/mod pistons ect. They will use the old Turbo/injectors ect unless they are deamed to be part of the fault and covered under the extended warranty. You should also get a new D-CAT and 5th injector.

Lets us know how you get on :drunk:

• 2 weeks later...

Got my car back today.. complete with a new engine, not been given any paperwork but the engine is very clean... runs very well and is a lot quieter than what I remember. However, they say that I need to update my service book and as I am overdue that I need to have a service soon. So booked this for November. seemed a bit odd to me to have a service on a new engine but they say it's the car that's due a service. So I thought it would be a good idea - ready for winter too! They say the new engine has a 12 month warranty. Overall I'm very pleased so far, think I need to open this up over the next few days to see how it responds.

• 5 months later...

Hi all, just joined as I found this thread looking for coolant loss from my 11plate Avensis 2.0l D4D.

It's been fully serviced according to the Toyota warranty specifications by an independant garage.

Ive had to put nearly a litre of coolant in over the last 2k miles. Just noticed today there was steam coming from the coolant tank.

The mileage has just reached 104,000. Just booked into Toyota for next week for them to have a look at it.

I did take it in to Toyota for excessive smoke when it had 50k miles on it but they found no fault.

It does have a 1AD engine code but is it covered by this extended warranty?

Many thanks, oh and a nice forum by the way!

Hello Mike and welcome,

you shouldn't have any worries getting that fixed at that mileage as it's below the 112k for that problem ... BUT ... what I find strange is that a 2010/11 reg car has a head gasket failure, the fault was sorted after 2009 or so they say.

Please keep us posted with how you get on and fingers crossed all will be ok and it's just something like a stuck thermostat or a small leak somewhere.

Regards

Pete.

Thanks Pete

Hopefully not the head gasket then, but I will keep you posted. By the time toyota get it I will have put another 1k miles on it!

Mike

Guess what? It's the head gasket!

The Toyota dealer has said to contact toyota UK...

They said Toyota woundn't pay for it as it hasn't been serviced by a Toyota dealer.

It has a full history from the same garage using genuine parts.

Will have to ring customer relations at Toyota tommorrow and see if they can help.

as long as it has been serviced according to Toyota schedule & using Toyota consumables/parts (or of equivalent or better spec.) by a competent garage (usually with Toyota that means VAT registered) that shouldn't really matter (the EU has rules to prevent independent garages being "locked out" by manufacturers).

However, as your car is beyond the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty that it came with you will have to rely on Toyota doing something as a goodwill gesture.

At least you will have something to point to as a precedent ...

Unfortunately the car has done 104,800. It;s not even 2 years old yet!

Fully serviced (6 services in the first year!)

Will post back when we've spoken to Toyota tommorrow.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links