Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Camera Rules?

James..

As part of my forthcoming 4.3 reversing cam install, i also cooked up some electronics to add a momentary 'override' switch so I could turn the camera on and off at the press of a button on the dash (don't want a switch you could accidentally leave it on). Now while I haven't actually warmed up the soldering iron to stick all the components together, this got me thinking. Firstly, why not have the cam permanently controlled manually anyway with a dash button- surely it must be irritating having the camera going on and off if you are manoeuvring around and going in and out of reverse?

So, the question I have is: does anyone know what the rules are with regard to having a live camera feed to your dash while you are driving, because the other thing I was thinking of doing was to reuse one of my old (ordinary) headcams as a forward facing infra red camera.

There may well be all sorts of practical technical reasons why it wouldn't work, in fact I'd say there is a 1% chance I'll get it to work, but I quite fancy having a go. BMW have a night vision system installed on a seven series but I think Mr Clarkson said that you couldn't use it while driving??...on the other hand, LR now have multi cam systems like this which appear to work at any speed:

As always, any advice or pointers appreciated! cheers!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links