Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airbags

caffrey

force of the impact was enough to knock the glasses off my face into the passenger footwell and a momentary blackout.

Pretty sure it wa a t-bone - If it was a side swipe i wouldv'e expected a bumper to have fell off - I didn't really want to bring up the crash as its going off topic, I understand it takes many factors to deploy airbags - must've just been unlucky.

As for renumeration for the crash, all I want is not to be left out of pocket for something that isn't my fault - If written off i'm basing car value to be guaranteed final value + my last monthly payments till end of contract - Not sure how I'll go about getting another car tho.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caffrey

• s44gtw

• DFish

• Parts-King

News.

Well apparently the vehicle is being repaired, not sure how happy I am with that decision tho considering - but at least it means i don't have to look for another car.... Repairs will take a fortnight.

(would anyone else be happy having a car repaired with that much damage? Think its worth phoning toyota for a second opinion?) Also not sure if it would affect future resale.

Toyota replied to me and just gave me general airbag info - without even seeing the pictures - some pdf and a covering letter

On further investigation, Toyota told me there was "limited lateral penetration" not sure what that's got to do with anything.

There was 2715 quids worth of damage to the car, i'm really not happy driving it again - but as it stands Toyota won't let me do a voluntary termination either - so guess i'm stuck with it :(

• 4 weeks later...

5 weeks, still haven't got it back, it's being put on a jig apparently... and waiting for parts, are parts hard to obtain for this car?

Is the door pillar being replaced as part of the repair?

Or the complete side of the rear Cell (door pillar/rear quarter) being unpicked and a replacement panel fitted?

I dont see how it can be at the cost you posted!

IMO it can not just have a cosmetic repair and be pulled out.

(being as the Cell is the structure of an iQ and that one has now been weakened where possibly pulling out will never restore as to the structural strength as was designed JMO)

I would have a Private examination done by a Qualified Vehicle engineer, not the Insurance Companied Examiner/Loss Adjuster or the Repair centre they use.

The Estimate of costs that decided the Repair as being 'Economic' or not will have taken into account the provision of a Courtesy Vehicle to yourself possibly, during the repair period..

5x7 days = 35 @ £40 car hire= £1400.

Dont care if this is covered by the repairer, Insurance Company or an Insurance cover with the Insurance Company.

(even if priced at £22 a day, it is £770, and another 3 weeks is £1232)

THe vehicle is very close to being a right off, due to the time it is taking to get a repair done.

This is the loss of vehicle to you at present & the inability to have an economic repair carried out in a timely manner.

I question if it should be getting repaired

& i think you should look at having the iQ Independently Examined.

Possibly Email those pictures to some Vehicle Examiners and enquirer as to them inspecting the vehicle.

(as is your right to have an independent report done & then see where you stand with the Insurance Company as to repair or payment for Total Loss of the vehicle.)

Simply a costing of the replacement exterior panels, and preperation and paint & the interior parts , before the labour required ,let alone a loaner vehicle is a straightforward costing that i can not see coming near the cost you mentioned.

I think you will find that someone is taking the mick here & want the job & has not done a full costing.

New panels are surely required, rear quarter/sill, door, front wing, some interior trim.

If they are not readily available, then they need to say. Does not look like readily available unless they can say your vehicle will be with you by April. (2012)

george

Worst thing is, I've not spoken to the garage in nearly 3 weeks, they just don't phone me (tbh neither do the insurance company) so i've no idea how much longer it'll be......

I'm guessing the current hig residual value of 2nd hand IQs make it worthwhile to repair - i've seen written off cars on eBay with less damage for sale...

When (if) I get it back I'll ask for full parts breakdown and cost, wonder how much the parts are - be interesting to see (both cost and what has been replaced) I can see this dragging on...

How do I go about a independant exam ? Toyota didn't want to know .

Just use Google.

try search like,

accident damage independent vehicle examination

You will see the likes of

DEKRA

enquire about an, Engineers Report / Accident Damage Related Report

https://dekra-expert.co.uk

or

http://www.hartecuk.co.uk

Worth looking at using these or similar,

use your Legal Protection from your insurance, get a solicitor if you need to persue your case, dont trust the Broker or Insurance Companies,

the cost will/can be made up by how much you get in compensation over what the Loss Adjuster is trying to get from the Insurance Company/Underwriter by !Removed! down their outlay.

Costing the Broker or Insurance/underwriter very little to string you along.

Worth getting on the case today,

get an Independent Examination arranged.

*maybe check out with a Company & then call your Insurance Claims Department and inform them of your intentions, back this up with a letter and emails, they need to move their butts IMO.,

If you were the innocent party in this accident then you should not suffer any loss.*

good luck.

george

IMAG0140_m.jpg

Think it did well, new kia sportage at about 30mph. all the interior trim is damaged on the door, think I cracked my head on the grab handle above the door

That held together very well. If you hit a pedestrian at 30 mph, you could easily kill them. I suppose by the look of the damage, they must be designed to go off at a heavier impact. Hope you are ok.

I also think it did its job very well.

These 'creases' are what bothers me if there is another collision with this vehicle..

(a crumple zone that has crumpled should not be allowed to crumple again should it, just because it gets pulled out?)

'They' need to explain if these are being pulled and panel beaten out or the panels are to be replaced. JMO.

george

Thanks for the info, I think i'll start procedures - silly that I have to chase everyone over this when it's not my fault (plus its 0845 numbers...) - but seriously not heard a thing in the last 3 weeks.

Fixing those creases is my big concern too, i'm pretty sure the seat had moved also - at least i've got some photographic proof when the car comes back and those stickers

are missing off the b-post...

Thanks for the info, I think i'll start procedures - silly that I have to chase everyone over this when it's not my fault (plus its 0845 numbers...) - but seriously not heard a thing in the last 3 weeks.

Fixing those creases is my big concern too, i'm pretty sure the seat had moved also - at least i've got some photographic proof when the car comes back and those stickers

are missing off the b-post...

Try going to saynoto0870 to find another number. It works with 0845

tried dekra, it's not what they do, they recommended an independent accident assessor

thanks for the link there, think i've got a "normal" number now - but tbh my heart just isn't upto chasing it anymore, only reason I want my car back is because the hire car is rubbish... ;p

Ha I use that all the time but the other day I had to ring up AXA and found the normal number and an automated voice said" we have detected you are in the UK please re-dial using 0845" cheeky B's

David

Cars back, not happy but i'd be wasting my time chasing a better repair

rear quarter and sill were not replaced

Parts replaced were :-

R/Headlamp Rep kit

R/Headlamp Bracket

RF Wing

R/Door Trim

Door Foils x 1

Offside Q Details

R/Headlamp Bracket

R/Headlamp Bracket (yes twice)

Right Door

R/F Wheel Cover (They didnt even respray the alloy...)

Sound pad x 1

Want to know something really funny ? the door trim cost more than the door.....

Good to hear you got it back, sorry to hear that you're not happy. If you think the quality isn't up to scratch return it straight away. Is it a colour match issue or just the quality of the work?

Fish

Quality of work, in fairness I never was going to be happy getting back in it.

There's some overspray, the damaged wheel wasn't repainted, bit of trim hanging off.

the new door trim that was fitted is scratched - and the manufacturers protective film hasn't been removed.

You can see ripples in the b pillar too, i've no confidence in the Shell protecting me in future - luckily only got months or so of finance to go...

As you describe it, the repair is not to an acceptable standard.

Its going to be a major problem when the vehicle is returned to who ever, for re-sale.

I seriously advise you to get the vehicle and the quality and standard of the repairs inspected.

Your Insurance Company should reject the Repair if it as you say.

It should show no sign of having been repaired.

2012 now, not the old days of Kerb Side Auto Repairs.

Take pictures and post them please,

and send them to your insurance company.

george

Yeap with those faults I'd be taking it back, as when you do come to move on people will see it.

Fish

I'll take pics tomorrow,

Incidently don't break your door trim, considering the cheese they are made out of, they cost 362 quid + vat....

I doubt the insurance company care tbh its been repaired that's all they are bothered about, my concerns about it being repaired fell on deaf ears.

They should be bothered, if its their Authorised Repairers.

The work is Guaranteed, or it should be,

and if you are to suffer loss which you may well when the vehicle with a poorly executed Accident repair is Traded in or returned after lease or similar.

Up to you if you bother, i would not have removed the vehicle or accepted delivery of it from the repairer.

But then i am very fussy being a Spray Painter and having trained as a Body Repairer and panel beater, back when slapping on filler was acceptable.

Its not acceptable these days.

& the type of repairs i did as an apprentice in the 70's were a thing of the past as far as i am concerned.

Send the pictures to your Insurance company and maybe put a link to this thread in the Email,

'They are a disgrace IMHO.'

george

here's a few pics, hard to make out the damage to the wheel

IMAG0155_l.jpg

IMAG0156_l.jpg

hard to make out

IMAG0157_l.jpg

IMAG0158_l.jpg

packaging left on

IMAG0159_l.jpg

not lining up right

IMAG0160_l.jpg

wheel damage (not very clear)

IMAG0161_l.jpg

Ive noticed the door doesn't shut as well as it used to either, just doesn't feel right, especially compared to the passenger side

Overspray on the light,

and cosmetic stuff just shows lack of care and possible lack of interest.

(the light unit should have been removed, if you are not removing you never leave a clue, by not masking properly!!)

I would just get them to sort that.

Obvious for them to see.

Really obvious to a blind man.

(reject the door trim with those scratches, its going to be down to the repairer to wear that cost, careless of them)

Even a half daft Insurance Company representitive can spot the poor quality and attention to detail, just send them the pictures.

It was the structural stuff i was really interested in.

Can you take the pictures of the door pillar & the sill please, (just to give an idea of the executionof the repair)

these are the things that are the possible danger to you or future owners..

george

I'll take pics when I get home, i'm in half a mind to not bother chasing this, i've been without the car for 6 weeks and i'm fed up of it as it is (wasting holidays etc) when it's not even my fault - end of the day the car isn't mine - wonder if I should ask the finance / toyota if they are happy with the repair first... (maybe for evaluation?) no idea how to do that tho or if I can.

As much as you may not be interested in chasing this, you'll lose out a hell of a lot when you come to move it on.

Fish

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links