Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel 2Ad Engine - Doom And Gloom

crustyclam

It's wrong, it's the other way around.

Just looked at the TSB... Yep its the wrong way round...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jedi134

• CharlieFarlie

• crustyclam

• Mistermena

That number is printed on the head - its a 3/4 engine.

I don't doubt the above comments are correct. My replacement or 3/4 engine looks brand new to to bottom... Shame its burning oil.

I was told that most of the Japan engines are re manufactured units. Some are brand new. Apparently the engine fitted to My car is the latter.. This might explain the difference in appearance ..

Even I have no energy for this problem any more? Its confusing the jedi blood out of me?

Lightweight ...................... :D

Ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need more info? Im as confused as you now Charlie? I now know how you feel and I dont own a 2AD engine?

Ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need more info? Im as confused as you now Charlie? I now know how you feel and I dont own a 2AD engine?

Aint You the lucky one ...........................................................

Seems that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sell up and buy a 4.2 RAV.................. :D

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Thanks but No thanks....

Why are you confused? Its quite simple, they are still fitting 3/4 engines and they may consume fully synthetic oil.

Well done Crusty - looking good.

Well this is what the papaerwork says regarding replacement:-

ENGINEREPLACEMENT001.jpg

Why are you confused? Its quite simple, they are still fitting 3/4 engines and they may consume fully synthetic oil.

Thankyou i am over the moon, the service i have received has been great, in for a replacement intermediate steering shaft due to clunking issues. Replaced with no quibble.

Come out with an engine swap to boot, problem caught early potentially saving me an inconvenient breakdown.

I for one am happy...no doom and gloom for me now. (fingers crossed)

Thankyou i am over the moon, the service i have received has been great, in for a replacement intermediate steering shaft due to clunking issues. Replaced with no quibble.

All sounds good!!!!!!!!!! just make sure theres no crisps packets or tie wraps in there ah Anchs!!!!!!!! <_<

just reading all the posts with people saying different things?????

Why confused ? On another thread Don You insisted that the engines will not consume oil Toyota that's both the dealer and TGB say the engine should not burn oil. Now You say they can burn oil ......

From the other thread

Using thin oil doesn't make any difference to oil consumption or protection. You cannot compress a fluid, using a lower viscosity allows you to pump it around very small spaces very quickly and reduces friction so increasing economy.

Does this help to explain My confusion ??

Thanks for the list Lee!

However, I can't see the complete DPF or EGR changes on it! Did these stay the same?... just gasket, gasket... and gasket and O ring.

Jozsef

Good to see the list mate! But I dont see a fat lot other that gaskets to! And no new DPF or 5th injector or new EGR as stated above! I would have thought there would have been mod pistons an all! This looks total different to my £6500 re-build!... But I'm happy that the car is running well for you mate :)

Thanks for the list Lee!

However, I can't see the complete DPF or EGR changes on it! Did these stay the same?... just gasket, gasket... and gasket and O ring.

Jozsef

Gasket gasket!! Tie wrap! Old kitkat wrapper! Gasket! O ring! Gasket! Coke can!! Gasket! Gasket! Brillo pad! Gasket! Mr mussel! O ring! Gasket! Gasket! 20w60 oil! Gasket! BP Hoover token 10mins! Gasket! 4 split rings from a keyring! Gasket! Gasket! ..........and a partridge in a pear tree!!!

Gasket!

Why confused ? On another thread Don You insisted that the engines will not consume oil Toyota that's both the dealer and TGB say the engine should not burn oil. Now You say they can burn oil ......

From the other thread

Using thin oil doesn't make any difference to oil consumption or protection. You cannot compress a fluid, using a lower viscosity allows you to pump it around very small spaces very quickly and reduces friction so increasing economy.

Does this help to explain My confusion ??

I don't know what I've said to confuse you Charlie. The spec for these T180 engines is B2 (look in the data sheets pinned). I know for a fact that Guy was sold B2 oil for his T180 because I changed it for him (Kev has seen the bottle). It seems that some people are fitting C2 low ash oil in early models but in fact that is for post 2009 models according to the data sheets. Now I must admit that I was confused for a while with all this oil spec business and I had to do a lot of reading before I started to get the picture. However, we can summarise by saying that B2 is semi-synthetic and C2 is fully synthetic (as far as Toyota are concerned). Neither Guys T180 or any of the other 2AD engines that RRG have fitted for my mates are using (burning) B2 oil but you said that your engine started to use oil after you changed it to C2 oil. It is a fact that fully synthetic oil can make its way into the upper cylinder so given that and your account we can do no other than assume your oil consumption is down to the fully synthetic oil. Unless something failed on your engine at the same time as you changed your oil there is no other explanation as it only started to consume oil from when you put in the fully synthetic. I only know Hoovie with a post 2009 2AD that should have C2 oil in from new so until he gives us some info we don't know if this applies to the new 150 engine. Does it matter if an engine consumes oil? Well clearly it is better if it doesn't but a small amount isn't harmful and fully synthetic oil in a new engine is forgiveable but I would hope it settles after a while. I will photograph my dipstick if I get chance tomorrow and you will see that it has niether moved or changed colour in the 1100 miles it has been in.

I don't know why my comment about thin oil is confusing either. It is a fact that very high performance engines go for very thin oil for the reasons stated. I know for a fact that Audi are advocates of 0W/20 oil to aid fuel economy/circulation and it is pumped around very quickly even when very cold. The thickness is irrelevant. You can no more compress water than you can 90s gear oil but you would sieze an engine if you tried to pump gear oil around it. I do feel strongly that significant oil consumption and poor fuel is a recipe for disaster. My mates 57 plate Discovery has to have 2 EGRs fitted that have been knackered by it (according to LR).

I don't want to cause any confusion and I don't think I've changed my tune (I can't think what I have posted that sounds that way - can you find it?). Its a shame that you feel uncomfortable about your new engine and I will be sorry to see you change but if you feel so strongly and don't want to wait it really is up to you. I think with all the other niggles you have just lost confidence now - some people are perfectionists and some will tolerate rattles like a bag of pots. I think I am somewhere inbetween although I like everything tickety boo. I used to be manic about rattles and squeaks but driving 22 year old trains cured that.

Do you really belive the poor fuel storys anchs?

I know maybe super fuels run better and give more mpg.

But to say supermarket fuels damage engines? I really don't know?

If they did they surely would not sell it, and Toyota would recoupe the money for engines from the fuel companys.

If I got a blocked bottom or diorea from eating Tesco own brand beans, surely they would not sell them for edable usage?

There would be up roar in more ways that one :-)

Thanks for the list Lee!

Jozsef

they were replaced in 2010, on a service. Although on reading it said particular filter, so not sure if that was actually a DPF.

Yes lots of gaskets!

I doubt you would get a blocked bottom from Tesco beans, they are mainly all juice.

You won't ruin an engine by running it on Tesco fuel as long as it is healthy but an engine that uses significant quanities of oil like 1 litre per 1000 miles and that also is vulnerable to carbon deposits like an early 2AD engine will not benefit from the cleaning qualities of branded fuel or better still high grade branded fuel.

Your local supermarket isn't there for the benefit of the people of the town, it is there to lure you in with the offers on the end of the aisles and promptly shaft you for everything else. Nowt to do with volume or competition, its to do with profit and shareholders and one of their most seductive lures is to get you through the gates to buy something we all readily compare prices with and that is 2 or 3 pence off fuel. Hoorah - good old Tesco, the peoples champion.

Like a tin of beans, it won't harm you but like a tin of 12p value beans and a tin of 50p Heinz beans there is a difference.

People tend to think of fuel as fuel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links