Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing The Drivers Seat

CharlieFarlie

Due to the creaking from the Driver seat in My car I will be removing the seat so I can try and stop the noise which is now driving Me round the !Removed! bend..

I know there is some procedure that has to be followed when disconnecting the wiring so the Airbag does not go off ??

So the question... Is simply disconnecting the Battery enough ? Or is there a residual charge somewhere that might catch Me out ??

Help please as I am seriously only one step off setting fire to this flaming car..(Pun intended)

Thanks.

Charlie.

If you do remove the seat I normally disconnect the Battery and wait 10 minutes to let any capacitors discharge. This delay is probably excessive but it always makes me feel good. I believe you are normally meant to remove the airbag connector and then insert a special "service" shorting connector that prevents accidental static discharging the bag.

I have never bothered as I consider this a slight risk, however, in today’s low risk high litigation culture you must make your own "risk assessment" :fireman:

Due to the creaking from the Driver seat in My car I will be removing the seat so I can try and stop the noise which is now driving Me round the !Removed! bend..

I know there is some procedure that has to be followed when disconnecting the wiring so the Airbag does not go off ??

So the question... Is simply disconnecting the battery enough ? Or is there a residual charge somewhere that might catch Me out ??

Help please as I am seriously only one step off setting fire to this flaming car..(Pun intended)

Thanks.

Charlie.

Yes Charlie, simply disconnecting the Battery negative pole, and wait 1-2 minutes before removing the seat. Four corner.... four screw + two interface and the seat free. Very easy job.

Only the clock end radio chanels reconfigure when Battery negative pole again join.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Jozsef

Thanks Guys !! I did think it was just a case of disconnecting the Battery but its far easier to ask than make what could be a very big and silly mistake..

Thanks for the PDF Don.. I have tried everything on the outside of the seat including all the belt runs ect but I think its one of the seat springs creaking in those clips that hold them in place.

If I can replicate the noise when the seat is out it will be easy to sort. If not I will tweak the springs and apply some spray grease to all areas to see if I can sort it that way.. I have around 6000 miles to cover in the next 6 weeks and cant stand it any longer !

As a temporary solution, you could get a bit liberal with some PTFE Spray?

I did this with the Punto drivers seat when there was just a squeak too far (I cannot stand squeaks and creaks in cars!)

Tried that Dave.. My car stinks like an oil fetishists convention after I put the seat fully forward and sprayed as far up as I could reach with silicone spray ......

Made no difference whatsoever ... Bugger ...

I have around 6000 miles to cover in the next 6 weeks and cant stand it any longer !

I`m so sorry mate but you do set yourself up for them.. :D

"Make sure you pack 6 liters of oil for your trip" :P

My Golfs got a squeeky drivers seat, I too have no idea whats causing it.................but she is 12 years old now......so i`ll let her off.

Tried that Dave.. My car stinks like an oil fetishists convention after I put the seat fully forward and sprayed as far up as I could reach with silicone spray ......

Made no difference whatsoever ... Bugger ...

So it didn't cure that pain in the @rse either then Charlie :rolleyes:

Dont you start! :P

If i`m over stepping the mark please let me know and I`ll stop... :mellow:

I come in peace and mean no one any harm :!Removed!:

After several hours spraying and lubing and finally putting the seat back in I drove it to the gun club this afternoon and the !Removed! thing is just the same...

Time to get shot of this car now as I simply have had enough. I'm off to Edinburgh Audi tomorrow and will be doing My utmost to get the Rav traded in hopefully before My next trip south..

Sorry to hear that Charlie......Your rav looks great on Rav4 world forum.............But I have no idea as to what goes on internaly... and what you do on your seats? :o

But be ware of the A6 All road...................I`ve heard reports its number 2 in the charts as being the most unreliable car in the universe?????????????????????

Your own reseach need here.

Hate to see you end up with a bag of !Removed! again mate.

Your a star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep posting!!!!!! what ever the topic :thumbsup:

It really doesn't matter what brand or type of vehicle I either suggest or buy.. Someone will say its crap.. Or Their uncles father in laws sisters second cousin twice removed had on and it was crap..

I was offered a deal on a brand new Titanium X AWD Kuga just this week and if I have no joy at Audi tomorrow and if the Ford Dealer can have it on the road by Friday next week I will buy that..

OK I know all Fords are rubbish and they break down all the time but if I get half the agg I've had with the Rav I will consider Myself lucky ...

Good luck with your trials tomorrow :thumbsup:

I think for every person who would recommend a car, you can guarantee 10 more will tell you about all the problems, so can't win really.

Personally I would stick with Far Eastern motors and not touch a Kuga (mainly as it is pig ugly!).

Have you considered a Nissan Murano? Could maybe get a nice deal on one of those as they have been dropped from the range?

I think for every person who would recommend a car, you can guarantee 10 more will tell you about all the problems, so can't win really.

Personally I would stick with Far Eastern motors and not touch a Kuga (mainly as it is pig ugly!).

Have you considered a Nissan Murano? Could maybe get a nice deal on one of those as they have been dropped from the range?

Mate it will not be another Japanese car.. I do not like Nissan's. If Im totally honest the interior of all Japanese cars are much of a likeness .. A little err antiseptic.. While this is not a deal breaker on the right car the interiors of Nissan's is just awful..

I have only ever owned a handful of Jap cars .. A Subaru Imprezza, A Toyota MR2 Roadster when they first came out and this Rav..

The interiors on all of them have been the only aesthetic part of any of the cars that I have considered a bit of a compromise.

The Scooby was very robust and reliable despite it only getting driven on the race track. The MR2 likewise was seemingly bullet proof only slight moan was the plasticy insides..

I quite like the look of the Ford and as I really want another car with AWD capability and reasonable space then it narrows the field. I suppose having owned so many Fords over the Years and having had no trouble with them influences what I buy next..

I have always bough new or nearly new mostly Pre registered vehicles and if any minor problems have occurred simply handed them back till they were fixed. That is the benefit of a full and comprehensive warranty..

I bought the Rav in a trying to be sensible mode. I was offered the car and thought it would live up to the legendary Toyota build quality and reliability reputation.. It hasn't and the car is now very irritating so it has to go and go fast.

Preference is another Audi. Failing that the Kuga will be the next car.

The Kuga is nice, its a like a 9/10ths scale Volvo XC60 :D ;)

Mate it will not be another Japanese car.. I do not like Nissan's. If Im totally honest the interior of all Japanese cars are much of a likeness .. A little err antiseptic.. While this is not a deal breaker on the right car the interiors of Nissan's is just awful..

I have only ever owned a handful of Jap cars .. A Subaru Imprezza, A Toyota MR2 Roadster when they first came out and this Rav..

The interiors on all of them have been the only aesthetic part of any of the cars that I have considered a bit of a compromise.

The Scooby was very robust and reliable despite it only getting driven on the race track. The MR2 likewise was seemingly bullet proof only slight moan was the plasticy insides..

I quite like the look of the Ford and as I really want another car with AWD capability and reasonable space then it narrows the field. I suppose having owned so many Fords over the Years and having had no trouble with them influences what I buy next..

I have always bough new or nearly new mostly Pre registered vehicles and if any minor problems have occurred simply handed them back till they were fixed. That is the benefit of a full and comprehensive warranty..

I bought the Rav in a trying to be sensible mode. I was offered the car and thought it would live up to the legendary Toyota build quality and reliability reputation.. It hasn't and the car is now very irritating so it has to go and go fast.

Charlie have you seen THIS before?

Also found THIS one on RAV4 World.

Paul. Thanks for that Mate.. I did note those pins as this is what You use to re locate the seat. I would imagine the seat would have to move slightly before the two surfaces could come together.

What I have is a creak that I can actually feel in the seat base or squab as its called. I'm fairly sure that it is one of the wire springs under the seat that is giving the noise and not from the locating parts that hold the spring in place, The only cure I fear is a new or second hand seat.. Said seats are just over 1100 quid... Yes eleven hundred finest English pounds.. Used ones are unobtainable due to the leather being of extremely poor quality and the bolsters cracking and splitting. Many were replaced under warranty ; leaving any at breakers very sought after by those who did not have them sorted within warranty..

This noise really is like a form of Chinese water torture and its simply the straw that has broken the donkeys back..

But Thank You for the heads up Mate !!!..........................

Charlie have you seen THIS before?

Also found THIS one on RAV4 World.

The Kuga is nice, its a like a 9/10ths scale Volvo XC60 :D ;)

Titter Titter ............................

I've long sang the praises of the Kuga on here, I would have one in a heartbeat and

stuff the anti Ford car snobs.Would also like to add another contender to your list

Charlie, Mazda CX7, which I believe Ford played a big part in designing when they

had a big stake in Mazda.There is also some dogs nuts engines coming out in the

new Mazda's. Sky Active they are called and getting great reviews.Good luck

whichever way you go :thumbsup:

I've long sang the praises of the Kuga on here, I would have one in a heartbeat and

stuff the anti Ford car snobs.Would also like to add another contender to your list

Charlie, Mazda CX7, which I believe Ford played a big part in designing when they

had a big stake in Mazda.There is also some dogs nuts engines coming out in the

new Mazda's. Sky Active they are called and getting great reviews.Good luck

whichever way you go :thumbsup:

Thanks Mate ! I think the Mazda is a manual only transmission and sunroof is not an option.

Kuga Titanium X has Powershift Auto and a sunroof and all the goodies that The T180 has.

In all seriousness the Kuga is a very nice car and i would have one, however i just can't run a Ford that's in warranty after previous issues with their attitude at Manufacturer and Dealer level. They were just so busy that they didnt have the time to treat you like a retail aftersales customer.

That is a great thing about the various motors available today.... lots of choice to suit all tastes and just about every option is in reality a good reliable car and a decent buy.

Ref the Kuga - I just don't like the looks of the car much, but it gets good reviews and I am sure deservingly :)

I liked the looked of the Mazda, but no dealership within 60 miles put me off :(

My power driver's seat started creaking several months back. It was most noticeable when cornering. When I had my RAV in for servicing at the Toyota dealer I mentioned it and asked for a technician to ride with me around the lot. He heard it and said he could take care of it. First he tried the TSB where the indexing pins are removed, but that didn't work so he ordered a new seat frame. After about 2 weeks, I went back, they replaced the seat frame and it's been perfectly quiet ever since. Since I still had a month or so left on the warranty, it was free of charge from Mr. T!

Full details here:

http://www.rav4world...ivers-seat.html

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links