Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Last Post On Runflats....honest

Big Kev

Like many of us, I have removed the runflats from my SR 180 and now carry a spare, and have indeed been instrumental only very recently in helping a new member decide to have hers removed too...the price of retaining was also a deciding factor naturally.

Thanks in part to research done by Charlie, and recent postifications from him and others, I will be telling my insurance peeps that I have indeed refused to contribute to the Bridgestone / Toyota Rubber Cartel, and have removed the blasted things.

Me being me, I thought I would ask a simple question.....why am I telling my insurers....?

The immediate answer is probably the most obvious one...."it's a safety feature..."

Long winded me as usual gets to the point....how much of a SAFETY feature is it compared to how much of a CONVENIENCE feature ?????

SAFETY : You can drive for 50 miles at 50mph...aye, sure....would you....? Within that 50 miles are you going to come across a Toyota dealer or independent who has a WORKING machine and tyres readily available....?

CONVENIENCE : It just might get you home, so some other poor bgr. gets the job of changing it.

By that time, a normally repairable tyre would be in tatters, along with its possibly misnomerised "safety ring"......so nice wee earner for The Cartel again.

So on what premise am I actually telling my insurers.....JUST TO PAY THEM (POSSIBLY) MERR CASH.....?

Big Kev

Kev You have to tell Your insurance because You have made fundamental changes to the vehicles standard equipment..

Each and every time We re insure We get read chapter and verse a wee statement and part of that is the question. Is the vehicle standard and had no modifications...

If You reply No its as it left the factory then in the event of brown hitting fan blades the insurance could be nullified .....

Even swapping the wheels like I have or having a tow bar should and must be declared...

As said before. What You have done is simply bought the car up to the standard level of equipment fitted to the very latest cars like say Hoovies SR..

So because the latest SR has Normal tyres and a repair kit it sets a precedent and for that reason No extra premium is normally asked for.

Charlie, you say that you are telling the insurance company you are swapping the wheels - Am I right in thinking you are informing them not for the reason that you are switching from Winter to Summer Tyres, but the reason that you are switching from Non Run-Flat to Run Flat wheels?

(Just asking as the reason I was very particular about getting the same 18" wheels for my Winter Tyre set was that in that way all I am doing is essentially changing tyre brands, which is not a requirement as far as advising an Insurance company about AFAIK)

I told my insurance company that the latest RAV SR on the same size alloys does not have this system because Toyota realised it was crap!

I also mentioned the issue of having to drive 50 miles on a puncture to get it repaired...which is riskier than going to a local tyre dealer (even with it in the back of another car if the puncture is that bad) and get it sorted right away.

To be honest...I dont think they needed that much convincing....as long as you say the alloys haven't been replaced and the exact same size tyre has been fitted, so it is now like the current RAV spec.

You would think that insurers would prefer this set-up as opposed to people having to drive around many miles on a steel band looking for a Toyota dealer with the gear to rip them off!

Mate. My wheels with the winter tyres on are not original Toyota wheels. They are WSP Catanias which are replica wheels but are of original wheel quality and construction. WSP stands for Wheel Spare Parts as they manufacture wheels made as direct replacements for say a damaged original. So each and every wheel carries an individual bar-code.

But they are non original wheels so yes the insurance has been notified of the change to and tyres.. As the wheels are ratified as equal or above OE wheel quality no extra premium was requested.

Likewise because all tyres were the same IE no mix of run flats and normal tyres no extra premium was requested

Many after-market wheels would have carried an increased premium as they are not ratified so considered an extra risk.

By fitting OE Toyota wheels and normal albeit winter tyres You will be just fine though again You do have to inform them of the change to winter tyres...

By fitting OE Toyota wheels and normal albeit

I told my insurance company that the latest RAV SR on the same size alloys does not have this system because Toyota realised it was crap!

I also mentioned the issue of having to drive 50 miles on a puncture to get it repaired...which is riskier than going to a local tyre dealer (even with it in the back of another car if the puncture is that bad) and get it sorted right away.

To be honest...I dont think they needed that much convincing....as long as you say the alloys haven't been replaced and the exact same size tyre has been fitted, so it is now like the current RAV spec.

You would think that insurers would prefer this set-up as opposed to people having to drive around many miles on a steel band looking for a Toyota dealer with the gear to rip them off!

There are many things to consider and many implications safety wise relating to run flats...

IE Say I was to have a puncture on the forth road bridge... Or on a busy motorway ?? Surely it would be safer to drive off the bridge or the motorway on My run flats than to mess around trying to change the wheel ?

I believe the recommendations are to drive on a punctured run flat the MINIMUM distance that you can to either get the tyre repaired or to a place of safety.. 50 miles is the absolute maximum distance not one they encourage you to drive !!

If My Wife were out driving I would rather that She were on run flats than normal tyres.. Lets not confuse safety with convenience or cost..............

Well luckily my wife wont drive the RAV...on the literaly one or two occasions she has, its been local within a few miles(no motorways for 40 miles).

I agree, it is a nice to have (especially if you do lots of miles and on motorways etc)....but I drive mainly local on short distances, so from my perspective it means Toyota and Bridgestone having me by the goolies!! Which I do not like.

The more I think about it, I feel so much more happier knowing they are gone (or going).

How heavy are these BSRs? Are they significantly weighty enough to give me better MPG when discarded?

Well luckily my wife wont drive the RAV...on the literaly one or two occasions she has, its been local within a few miles(no motorways for 40 miles).

I agree, it is a nice to have (especially if you do lots of miles and on motorways etc)....but I drive mainly local on short distances, so from my perspective it means Toyota and Bridgestone having me by the goolies!! Which I do not like.

The more I think about it, I feel so much more happier knowing they are gone (or going).

How heavy are these BSRs? Are they significantly weighty enough to give me better MPG when discarded?

Mate I was trying to illustrate what the insurance view may be not Our view.. I am or would have been ditching the run flats but as the car is being sold or traded in its just not on !!

The wheel with BSR is around 50% heavier that a wheel with a normal tyre .. You have to remember that the weight of the ring and kit has to be added to the 3 to 4 kilos of lubricating fluid that is in there to stop the tyre and BSR ring from destroying each other in the event of a deflation..

I doubt MPG will be any better especially if You like I carry a spare wheel.

Kev You have to tell Your insurance because You have made fundamental changes to the vehicles standard equipment..

Each and every time We re insure We get read chapter and verse a wee statement and part of that is the question. Is the vehicle standard and had no modifications...

If You reply No its as it left the factory then in the event of brown hitting fan blades the insurance could be nullified .....

Even swapping the wheels like I have or having a tow bar should and must be declared...

As said before. What You have done is simply bought the car up to the standard level of equipment fitted to the very latest cars like say Hoovies SR..

So because the latest SR has Normal tyres and a repair kit it sets a precedent and for that reason No extra premium is normally asked for.

Thanks Charlie min....insurance all seen to (Aviva) and they will confirm in writing no probs with having doneded away with them Flunrats.

Big Kev

Hi Big Kev,

Run flats again.

Did you inform your insurance co.that you had removed the inner doughnut thing and that you would be using normal tyres .

My insurance co. is the same as yours .

Months ago I asked them I wanted to fit normal tyres and they said that was no problem.

I have since had the inner doughnut thing removed so tha t I can have tyres fitted at any garage( I now carry a spare wheel)

I have still kept the warning system if the tyre defalates.

My rav is the sr 180 and I love it.

Thanks for all the information and topics on this site.

All the best

Bobby 2011

I have also had issues with my SR180 runflats

However today I a set of Wolfrace Lugano Sterling Silver 18" alloys with Toyo tyres.

A new wrench, jack and one of the runflats in the boot.

The car looks stunning. It drives soooo much smoother.

Interestingly the pressure warning light has not come on.

My insurance was an extra £30.

What is a great car is now an even better one

Anyone want the other 3 runflats!!

I have also had issues with my SR180 runflats

However today I a set of Wolfrace Lugano Sterling Silver 18" alloys with Toyo tyres.

A new wrench, jack and one of the runflats in the boot.

The car looks stunning. It drives soooo much smoother.

Interestingly the pressure warning light has not come on.

My insurance was an extra £30.

What is a great car is now an even better one

Anyone want the other 3 runflats!!

It takes approximately 100 miles before the light will start to flash..... Then it will as sure as eggs are eggs ...

This is the most ridiculous thing about the whole system.. I could leave home with a partially deflated or damaged tyre and be 100 miles or an hour and a half from home before the light comes on..........

Did Your car not come with a jack and wheel brace ? Mt T180 did ....

I would not be in to much of a hurry to part with those original wheels and run flats as trading in a car without them can prove very difficult !! Best hang on to them Mate !!

I really can't make my mind up what to do, rang quite a few toyota garages and only one said they would change them. Although another said they would, but later on returned my call to say they couldn't.

Had the stories about TMPS light being permantley being on. Informed them that users on this forum kept the sensors fitted with normal tyres, and others disabled the warning by snipping a certain wire. Still wouldn't do them though.

Rang the nearest independant in Cheshire his machine is broke. Rang another independant whose machine was also broke and awaiting a spare part. The chap i spoke to said he has tried to seek clarification from both Toyota and Bridgestone if its safe to fit normal tyres, but no luck on that. He also said the alloys looks virtually the same between a runflat and non runflat, but the ridge part on the runflat alloy is slighly different and looks to be machined down so not as thick. (Hence the reason he has tried seeking clarification) He advised not to fit normal due to this, he said it may well be ok, but he would not do the job because of not receiving clarification. He also said that he has seen posts on the forums about alloys being exaclty the same, and still said not true.

I think for now i may just keep my eyes peeled and see if any spares comeup on eBay, i saw one complete the other day for £275, which really is similar to having a tyre fitted.

If Your tyres are worn out why not remove them with an angle grinder ? Should take no more than half an hour for each wheel and then take the wheels and get normal tyres fitted ??

The wheels will be perfectly fine.. There is so much BS talked at the Dealers and tyre fitters simply because they do not fully understand so will not risk getting involved...

But You have to bear in mind the implications of binning the run-flat kit come time to trade the car in... Toyota Dealers will take a car in PX that has had it removed but will adjust the trade in price to allow for new BST kit and tyres..........

I have been trying to trade in My T180 and its the first question asked !! "Are the run flats still in place sir"

I have a set of Replic wheels fitted with winter tyres and was going to cut off the runnies and fit normal tyres.. I even offered them on here because they have 6mm of tread on them they are like new !! But no body wanted them !!

I will be removing the winter tyres this week and fitting summer ones and leaving the standard wheels and runnies where they are till the car is sold ... !Removed! things !

The replica wheels are a better finished wheel with a brighter colour anyway to be honest !

RavWinterwheels002.jpg

Hi Big Kev,

Run flats again.

Did you inform your insurance co.that you had removed the inner doughnut thing and that you would be using normal tyres .

My insurance co. is the same as yours .

Months ago I asked them I wanted to fit normal tyres and they said that was no problem.

I have since had the inner doughnut thing removed so tha t I can have tyres fitted at any garage( I now carry a spare wheel)

I have still kept the warning system if the tyre defalates.

My rav is the sr 180 and I love it.

Thanks for all the information and topics on this site.

All the best

Bobby 2011

aye, Bobby....they are now well aware that all traces of the runflat system have been removed and I am now running on normal run of the mill tyres....he had to go "off line" a couple of times just to check the info and any repercussions with his supervisor p[erson, but he knows I require written confirmation prior to cash changing hands. good nod fgrom Charlie was also used that it just makes the car same as current build spec.

Having said that "all traces of the system have been removed" is a slight fib.....all TPMS sensors (5) are in place ready to be switched back on should I (or a Toyota Dealer) wish to do so. there was no way I was going to try and explain all that to Aviva's Call Centre personnel....they are happy with my disclosure and I will be too on written conflirtation.

Big Kev

Charlie, my alloys have slight signs of corrosion, two fronts are at 4mm, backs at 5mm, one front has a really really slow puncture. I would prefer to ditch as i'll be keeping this vehicle for a good number of years and want to make sure long term the tyres are cost effective. I always change tyres at 3mm, so not much left in the fronts anyway.

Angle grinder......don't do power tools!! I like my fingers just where they are.

The replica does look very good, and i would certainly consider purchasing a set depending on price.(Can you say where you got them and on price how do they compare to a oem one) At the end of the day £250 - £275 for a tyre, £1000 odd all round. I'd prefer a set of fresh alloys and normal tyres for a little more.

See here Mate.. You will get a deal of around £750 for the four wheels delivered.. I bought 4 wheels fitted with Vredestien Wintrac 4 extremes for 1500 quid delivered with centre caps ect all new bolts balanced ready to fit..

Quality is far superior to Toyota genuine wheels.. Paint is deeper ( I have a tool that measures paint thickness). Metal flake is brighter....

I will be fitting them To My new SR when I get it as I do not like the smoked finish on the latest wheels !!

Link....

http://wheelsworldwide.co.uk/wheels/wsp/catania_w1750/silver

RavWinterwheels006.jpg

RavWinterwheels003.jpg

RavWinterwheels012.jpg

RavWinterwheels015.jpg

I could store those grey alloys for you Charlie - on my car, I think they are really nice. :flowers:

Thank you Charlie for the link, that does seem reasonable compared to oem alloys, especially with paint thickness being greater.

Something for me to think about, long term i think a worthwhile investmnent, combined with a nicer looking rav. Every time i wash the wheels i think why didn't i spot the bubbles

Hi Big Kev,

Thank you very much for more information.

Will contact insurance co.shortly.

Thank you again.

All trhe best.

Bobby2011

I could store those grey alloys for you Charlie - on my car, I think they are really nice. :flowers:

I just prefer the bright silver wheels.. Honestly think one of the best features of the T180 / SR 180 like Kevins one is the the wheels !! really suit the car !!

I'm getting the winter tyres off the set above this week and replacing them with likely Geolanders.. So will put them on the new SR when I get the 180 sold and store those grey ones till its time to move on again. Though that I hope wont be for some considerable time ""

I just prefer the bright silver wheels.. Honestly think one of the best features of the T180 / SR 180 like Kevins one is the the wheels !! really suit the car !!

I'm getting the winter tyres off the set above this week and replacing them with likely Geolanders.. So will put them on the new SR when I get the 180 sold and store those grey ones till its time to move on again. Though that I hope wont be for some considerable time ""

Thank you Charlie for the link, that does seem reasonable compared to oem alloys, especially with paint thickness being greater.

Something for me to think about, long term i think a worthwhile investmnent, combined with a nicer looking rav. Every time i wash the wheels i think why didn't i spot the bubbles

If You go to Projex the Guys name is Stuart.. Nice bloke and dead straight !! But ask for a PROPER deal !! Mention My name to him . Tell Him Charlie from Scotland....

Why does removing the rings affect the TPMS?

My front two rings were done last year, but light has never come on...will now be waiting for it to come on since rears done.

Why does removing the rings affect the TPMS?

My front two rings were done last year, but light has never come on...will now be waiting for it to come on since rears done.

Removing the ring itself DOES NOT affect the TPMS system or light. The main way it affected the system was if some ham-fisted Tyre Tech broke the bleeders whilst removing and replacing worn runflats and doughnuts by all stories....!!!!!

When my light came on steady for the second time, a very civil child at Mr.T tried to tell me "they were not sure if the sensors worked properly in normal tyres like mine", which is total mince. Shortly after that I switched the bloody thing aff using Charlie and shcm's instructments (albeit remember.....IT IS STILL THEIR TO BE SWITCHED BACK OAN AGAIN.......) and thanks to my yet again raising this boring Runflat question, have been taught that I should retain my Bridgestone Rings too, in the event that I try to trade in my car to a Mr.T......I was just about to fling them in the Dan Flynn.

Big Kev

and thanks to my yet again raising this boring Runflat question

Please can I start a topic "what the best lubricant oil and lubricant additive for my run flat support rings?" :bangin::death::lol:

...please, please............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links