Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4Th Vehicle In A Collision, How Long Does It Take Insurance?

bitman

hi all,

on 7 dec 2011 swmbo her rav 4 was rear ended while she was waiting for the red traffic light to become green. :angry2:

in total there were 4 cars involved she was number 4 so number 3 hit her and number 2 hit number 3 and number 1 hit number 2. all cars with number 4, 3 & 2 were standing still waiting for the red light to become green. car number 1 was a large mitsubishi 4x4 who pushed all other vehicles forward due the impact.

so to make a long story short... swmbo still drives in a rental car around not knowing when her beloved rav 4 will be fixed...

any one knows how long this can going on?

also we renewed our insurance 1st of feb 2012 for a car what is stored somewhere in a body shop waiting for the green light to be repaired... also what about the road tax and the mot coming up in july? :dontgetit:

I don't think you needed to insure it, accident happened in previous years cover, no mot or tax needed as its of the road.

Once fixed then get everything in order, why pay for it when not in use.

You could try and get the tax disc back and get a refund on what's left, if you have no idea how long the claim will take.

No idea how long it will take every one will be claiming from the one behind, depends what the insurance companys are like, I surpose? Anyone claiming injurys could slow thinks down.

I don't think you needed to insure it, accident happened in previous years cover, no mot or tax needed as its of the road.

Once fixed then get everything in order, why pay for it when not in use.

You could try and get the tax disc back and get a refund on what's left, if you have no idea how long the claim will take.

AS FAR AS SWANSEA IS CONCERNED, IT IS NOT OFF ROAD UNLESS YOU FILL IN THE RELEVANT "SORN" FORM TELLING THEM THAT,,,,"STATUTORY AFF ROAD NOTIFICATION"....excuse catapult letters, again....if the body shop, say, parks it each day out on Auntie Betty's highway, the car could accrue as many tickets as they want to give it for not being taxed.

Big Kev

If the tax is going to expire SORN it or you will get fined, you could cancel the insurance but you need a water tight letter of cover from whoever is currently storing the vehicle in case the worst happens. If you cancel the insurance and dont SORN it you will also get fined.

If the MOT expires the bodyshop should stick it on trade plates and take it for test, or they dump it on your drive and take the trade plates off. Then you book the MOT and go straight there as thats legal, dont deviate though! You would like to think its fixed by July though!

As for all the other stuff your in the lap of the gods.

surely your claim is with car #3 and it is down to car #3's insurance company to get their money off car #2 and so on. Tell your insurance company to pull their finger out!

My uncomplicated claim took 4 weeks to agree write off then another 4 weeks to agree a sum... Roughly.

I was the only person involved so there were no complications.

You can have your insurance company fix the car then they will fight the other insurance companies in the background for the money... There should be no reason why your car can't be fixed immediately... Unless forensics are involved.

I did hear a radio program a while back that was saying that insurance companies - when they know they are not the ones who will be paying out - provide a hire car and have no interest in chasing repairs to their insured p arty as they are making loads of extra money on excessive rental charges back-charged to the other party ... which is why sometimes, people get a flash courtesy car.

And in the end, we all pay for this through increased insurance premiums.

Leave it taxed and insured, it is far less complicated, you only need somebody to road test it and get picked up on an ANPR camera and you have a heap more hassle on your hands

Get onto the insurance company and demand to know what is happening, get the name of the manager at the bodyshop and call him daily to find out what is happening, he wont be in too much of a hurry to start work if he is charging the insurance company a daily rate for storage. Make his life uncomrtable knowing you will be ringing and chasing progress

Kingo :thumbsup:

If the tax is going to expire SORN it or you will get fined, you could cancel the insurance but you need a water tight letter of cover from whoever is currently storing the vehicle in case the worst happens. If you cancel the insurance and dont SORN it you will also get fined.

If the MOT expires the bodyshop should stick it on trade plates and take it for test, or they dump it on your drive and take the trade plates off. Then you book the MOT and go straight there as thats legal, dont deviate though! You would like to think its fixed by July though!

As for all the other stuff your in the lap of the gods.

Agree with Cabz on this one, Bitmanmin.....get it back on yer own driveway, SORN it, and that way ye know it comes to no further harm, or bits start "being replaced" OR "RESCUED" WHILST OUT OF YOUR SIGHT.....

Big Kev

I did hear a radio program a while back that was saying that insurance companies - when they know they are not the ones who will be paying out - provide a hire car and have no interest in chasing repairs to their insured p arty as they are making loads of extra money on excessive rental charges back-charged to the other party ... which is why sometimes, people get a flash courtesy car.

you spot on hoovie, they have given her the most expensive g*ylander (sorry freelander) hse / sd4 / auto / fully loaded (£37.500). what a bag of spanners, it's worse then a german beer pipe! in december swmbo paid about £45 per week fuel (petrol rav4 auto), with this land rover junk she pays over £110 per week (diesel).

she still dives the same route every day, no change in that.

today accident exchange is going to give her a rav 4 diesel auto... so lets see what uses on fuel.

P1020691.jpg

34.5 mpg at the moment (according the onboard computer) not a great figure for such a little suv (got that easy with the petrol rav 4)

the story gets even better (worse)...

yesterday Nick Sharp from Accident Exchange called to tell swmbo that the 2nd car owner claims that his vehicle doesn't has any damage...

now what this has to do with us as the 3rd car did hit ours (4th car) is be joint me and i'm going to write a letter demanding them to stop wasting our insurance money and start fixing our rav 4 and claim it on the 3rd car insurance.

we don't care that the 1st and the 2nd are arguing with each other. the only thing we know for fact is that the 3rd car did hit our rav 4 while standing still waiting for the red traffic light. techically spoken when a vehicle is stationary (not moving at all) it isn't a partition taker in moving traffic so everything what hits it is at fault. and the 3rd car did hit our rav 4 in the rear.

those insurances are the same as those greedy bankers, well insurance companies are bankers :censor:

Yep insurance companys are scammers, we got rear ended in the rav also, but the guy coughed up, company van and all, and it was just him. We got a top of the range disco for 2 months. :D

They will all be blaming each other....

Then you have to worry whether the repair is going to be done properly.....have you seen the state of insurance approved body shops?

Yep insurance companys are scammers, we got rear ended in the rav also, but the guy coughed up, company van and all, and it was just him. We got a top of the range disco for 2 months. :D

... which is why sometimes, people get a flash courtesy car.

Then you have to worry whether the repair is going to be done properly.....have you seen the state of insurance approved body shops?

Yes, but she will be repaired at a Toyota approved body shop.

We didnt ask for a top of the range Disco? thats what came?........cost a fortune in diesel :D

Esure was the insurance company? thats where our premiums go? Its the insurance companys that help them selves....Pirates....

I went to an Vauxhall approved boby shop, and it was like a scap yard. a guy was spraying a sill on a brand new Vectra outside, in dusty summer conditions....so glad it was a company van I was picking up and not my own...........hopefully Toyota are better :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

update:

Nick Sharp from Accident Exchange called to tell swmbo that they found a widness and her rav 4 will be repaired asap :D

so finally i can swap those tires and do some maintance.

• 1 month later...

update;

as of 25 may 2012 (since 7 dec 2011) we have our rav 4 back! well we had to collect her from the body shop repaired and all but not washed.

as we have been driving for some months in a 'new' rav 4 all we can tell that the 4.2 drives better, sorry guys.

anyway it's booked this monday for a quick check over at mr.t as she had been standing still for 6 months. there wasn't a mechanic available today. swmbo is using my sorento for now.

ta,

bt

Great news indeed bt

Must feel good to have the old friend back home and fully recovered.

Del

when driving away from the body shop swmbo did hear some squeaking noises and some times a hard bang from the rear of the car!

report from mr. t;

snapped rear coil spring (fresh crack, no rust)

most rubber bushes are badley perished

pictues taken by the body shop and it's back to the insurance what happens next :o

also found Wiper Blades perished

bear in mind that she was collecting dust at the body shop from dec 2011 till may 2012, poor girl

There may be an outstanding extended warranty on this one BT. Might be worth phoning TGB.

There may be an outstanding extended warranty on this one BT. Might be worth phoning TGB.

thank you anchorman,

just off the phone with mr. t customer service and given the chassis number there are no outstanding extended warranties on her...

a pitty but always worth a try :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links