Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Today I Was Mostly Blanking Off My Egr **getto Sytle***

jedi134

Back in my rallying days, I once used a roll of gaffer tape to hold a windscreen in place on an RAC Rally AND it got past the scrutineers

On another event at Oulton Park, I fitted TWO old head gaskets one on top of each other with plenty of hermatite, the car ran well AND we finished in the top ten

Those were the days.........

I bet Jedi could fix aircraft wings together with an old barrell of 20/50 he has in the garage :D: :D:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jedi134

• anchorman

• Mistermena

• tatteam

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can picture Jedi as Bodie in the Professional actually :) Where he makes a head gasket for a knackered old Land Rover out of a roll of lino with just a penknife :thumbsup:

Waste of a good bit of lino, that is. :P

Fair Point Well Made :lol:

Back in my rallying days, I once used a roll of gaffer tape to hold a windscreen in place on an RAC Rally AND it got past the scrutineers

On another event at Oulton Park, I fitted TWO old head gaskets one on top of each other with plenty of hermatite, the car ran well AND we finished in the top ten

Those were the days.........

I bet Jedi could fix aircraft wings together with an old barrell of 20/50 he has in the garage :D: :D:

A mate of mine had a Fiat 126 (not the most robust of vehicles it has to be said) and every week at college, the thick underseal seemed to have crept further and further up the car sides as an effort to keep it all together until the whole car turned into a 'stealthmobile' :)

Maybe we should start a Rav4 rally team with all the experience on here? Bolt the Turbo off a truck onto a 4.3 bit of control from a chip an boosh a beast is born lol

After removing the EGR on the Freelander I was shocked at what I saw after only 10k miles.. It was origonaly blanked off and bypassed, but me being a tad anal wanted everything OEM and manufacturers spec....so I bought a EGR from a scrappy and fitted it 10K ago.

What I found in there when I took it of yesterday was a thick goo of black tar like substance, both in the EGR and in the plastic intake manifold, which I had cleaned 10k previous, how the engine could actually breath through an opening the size of a 1 pence piece is beyond me (Respect to the BMW TD4 M47 engine). any way all cleaned and by pass fitted again. will see how it goes.

Sorry no pics of Freelander as I was covered in the black goo, and did not want to get camera covered in it too, which was in my pocket.....Thats how gooy it was.....Still cant get it of me hands now.............

So onto the Rav

As I have a few days off and the sun is shinning in Jedivil I thought I`d blank off the ravs EGR and see if there is any benifit:

So I pulled off the EGR , nice to see a crisp velverty sooty substance and not a black tar so no problems it that department.

DSCF2446.jpg

I then set out to make the blanking plate, all high tech this so take note, I opted for my favourite metal, a Kronenbourg 1664 can (only the best) :D

Hacked it to a managable size and Va La!!!!

DSCF2442.jpg

I now just traced around the origional gasket and cut to shape using a very technical tool called............. a pair of scissors.

DSCF2443.jpg

Punched out some holes......very roughly as this is only a trial.....

DSCF2444.jpg

Now I put my home made Getto style Kronebourg 1664 blanking gasket onto the engine block, in place of the origional.

DSCF2447.jpg

Bolted the EGR back on and off for a test drive...........

Engine was cold, started her up, No CEL everything hunky dory :thumbsup:, when for a little drive until she warmed up, everything still ok, so so far jobs a good en , no problems.

I have noticed and it could all be in my tiny brain.....the engine picks up better at lower revs, like the turbo kicks in earlier.....more grunt lower in the rev range, certainly seems more responsive....but only time will tell.

So what is the point of the EGR? is it just to save a few trees, or does it benifit the engine in any way? So far I see not use for the EGR other than to pass emmissions tests.....

My Mot is due soon so will see what happens when they probe it.

I may up the gasket to a thicker metal like a beans can, but I am unsure whether to go for tescos own brand tin or a branded Heinz tin............I will have to think about that one.

:thumbsup:

getto jedi :lol:

so you done this to your rav yeah?

any idea if this would work on a 2008 2.2 d4d xtr?

I could not tell you, the Gasket will probably be a different shape, but I think someone said you can actually buy them for this engine, I think it was Anchs :D

Can't see why it would not work......

I personally would not like to touch even the oil filler cap on this engine, just incase it disintergrated in my hand :P

Got this today? Looks like it will be going back to oem spec if it comes up again.

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android

=================================================

Vehicle VIN: Not present

Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown

Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present

Current Fault Log

------------------

P0400: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow

Pending Fault Log

------------------

P0400: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow

Historic Fault Log

------------------

ECU reports no historic faults

End of report.

I wondered how long it would be before that happened.

The EGR is electric controlled instead of vacuum controlled, so any failure to open/close will be logged and a fault code will pop up.

You could clear the fault and try drilling a small hole in the 'gasket' to see if that helps. On the Mondeo forums there were people trying this and found 9mm to be the magic number, but these are different engines so it may not work.

It should still open and close, nothings changed in that department, but it Seems to know its getting no exhaust? How?

It's just the same principle as a vacuum egr, only there's a stepper motor instead of a diaphragm, the actual valve is the same is it not?

Is there another sensor somewhere? Detecting how much exhaust is going in there?

If I clear it, the cel goes off, but nearly straight away diags say this fault is pending?

A small hole you say? I will have to look into this, any links?

There will be a sensor after the EGR, so it should be able to read current temps/NOX/etc and then read a difference when the EGR is in use. If there is no difference but the EGR is open, it will know there is something wrong and light up a warning for you.

Clearing the code will remove it, but it will come back.

If the engine is running better, and you have the fault code reader in the car, you can always continue to drive it as it is and clear the code when it springs up. It takes seconds, and you are able to check it isn't a different fault that goes ignored.

If you search for 'EGR' on stdrivers.co.uk you will find pages and pages of info. The MK3 was fitted with a vacuum EGR on earlier (<05/55) models, and electric EGR's on newer (>06/07) engines due to euro compliance changes on the facelift version.

Be warned, there are pages and pages of complains about them...

If you have 'Torque' running, why not monitor the EGR values and see if you can spot anything.

I think you can log different parameters (not tried it myself) so maybe log the EGR values on a run with the gasket on and removed, and compare?

Exhaust temperatures can easily reach temperatures high enough to melt lightweight can grade aluminium.

I would suggest using something more robust on the long term.

May have to find some better metal, maybe the metal from an old computer PSU casing, thats a lot thicker and the type that cuts your fingers if not handled carefully. :D

As for EGR sensors, theres nothing on the exhaust side, and only the Turbo Presure sensor and the Air intake temp sensor on the inlet side......Unless the MAF has something to do with it?

So does the ECU detect EGR gas by:

1: The extra pressure in the intake manifold via Turbo Pressure sensor?

2: The extra heat in the intake manifold from the exhaust gas, via air temp sensor

3: Something to do with the MAF and ECU???????????????

I can`t see any sensors that sniff out the actual gas`s.......Lambda sensors???

Edit: just read this, it Seems more complicated than just blanking it off, there are other Forces at play, think ill put it back how it was...........at some point, will keep running it for now....

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/egr-system-clogging-TDI.htm

Updated EGR gasket:

Sourced some new donor metal, an old power supply case from and old Epson printer :D

post-73910-0-12986200-1332506650_thumb.j

As this metal was thicker I had to up my technical cutting tool from scissors to these I found lying in the garage :naughty:

After a bit of TLC and some 5w/40 oil :sneaky2: they were operational again :yahoo:

post-73910-0-88705200-1332506861_thumb.j

I then commenced cutting, taking great care not to guillotine any fingers off, :death:

Once cut to shape I decided to form some indents to help seal the gasket to the cylinder head a bit better, using my home made indentation makers:

post-73910-0-43716000-1332507276_thumb.j

These are set up as in the picture below:

post-73910-0-03676600-1332507484_thumb.j

And then hit repeatedly with this Bronze aged relic from a time gone by... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

post-73910-0-82168300-1332507799_thumb.j

Until you get the desired effect Va la!!!!!!!!!

post-73910-0-73542600-1332507987_thumb.j

Drill some holes and jobs a good un :nerd:

post-73910-0-37818200-1332508125_thumb.j

Tune into next weeks episode, where I will be showing you how to fit a new CV boot :thumbsup:

Here`s a little taster of what`s to come :D

post-73910-0-42369400-1332509244_thumb.j

Edit: After reading more of that VW TDi link, I think im going back to stock, mines not that advanced, but on the later Rav`s It will be and just blanking the EGR cant be good for the engine I would think, unless someone knows otherwise?

what a waste of time that was :D

glad I haven't bothered blocking it off now

It will work. Just cancel the light and it will probably never come on again. Me and Kev had the light after cleaning the EGR but once cancelled it never came on again.

Update:

Well the engine managment light came on a few times after being reset, so I`ve decided to go back to stock(how it was)

This is what was left of my Kronenbourg can:

post-73910-0-49501200-1332768412_thumb.j

post-73910-0-48198900-1332768461_thumb.j

Now I did not bother fitting the thicker metal gasket as I belive the engine managment light will still come on, I belive it was just the exhaust side that melted a hole through the gasket, the air intake side was intact, and in effect would still have been blanked..

Also what I noticed also is my engine has a Shutter Assy Intake the part circled in red, Now is this like a butterfly valve?..As I belive diesel engines do not require such a valve as revs are controled via fuel input, this can only be for the EGR system, to aid mixing of the Exhaust gas and air. So there must be more to this EGR stuff that just blanking off?

The Freelander seems to be going well, but this has the older Vaccum type EGR......No engine lights so far.....hopefully fuel comsumption is better as it has a bigger hole to breathe through :D

post-73910-0-64780100-1332769193_thumb.j

@Anchs: has your mate had any problems when he blanked of his EGR on his 2AD which I would think is a lot more complicated than the one on my engine??

Wonder where that molten aluminium went........................

Wonder where that molten aluminium went........................

Right down the side of the thick oil control ring :D: :D: :D:

Maybe Jedi's found a new way of building up worn cylinder bores. Vapourise some aluminium and use the pistons to smear it on :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links