Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris T180 2007 - Oil Consumption

Steveg8440

HI

This is my first entry on the forum. Can anyone please advise: I have owned several Toyotas over the past 15 years, usually purchased from my Father when he is due a new one. I have never had ANY trouble with ANY of them until now.

I purchased my 2007 Auris T180 approximately 3 years ago. It has done 31 K miles and the last two services were carried out at an independent garage with me supplying Toyota parts and oil as per the schedule.

At the moment I probably do 3 - 4 thousand miles per year. My driving style is 'careful' changing gears when the arrow indicates with the occasional blast every few months to try and clear everything out. It's mostly town driving with the odd run out. To my astonishment I checked the Oil the other day and it was on minimum. I have never had a Toyota that has used Oil. I reckon it has used this Oil over the last 500 - 1000 thousand miles.

Any ideas?

Thanks Steve

HI

This is my first entry on the forum. Can anyone please advise: I have owned several Toyotas over the past 15 years, usually purchased from my Father when he is due a new one. I have never had ANY trouble with ANY of them until now.

I purchased my 2007 Auris T180 approximately 3 years ago. It has done 31 K miles and the last two services were carried out at an independent garage with me supplying Toyota parts and oil as per the schedule.

At the moment I probably do 3 - 4 thousand miles per year. My driving style is 'careful' changing gears when the arrow indicates with the occasional blast every few months to try and clear everything out. It's mostly town driving with the odd run out. To my astonishment I checked the Oil the other day and it was on minimum. I have never had a Toyota that has used Oil. I reckon it has used this Oil over the last 500 - 1000 thousand miles.

Any ideas?

Thanks Steve

Steve check out Charlies guide to the 2 Ad engine in the Rav section of the forum

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132178&hl=&fromsearch=1

Hi there

Thanks for that: interesting and worrying at the same time. I'm actually booked in tomorrow for a once over health check. It will be interesting to see what they say!

Thanks again.

Steve.

Hi there

Thanks for that: interesting and worrying at the same time. I'm actually booked in tomorrow for a once over health check. It will be interesting to see what they say!

Thanks again.

Steve.

Let us know Steve

Hi again Dave

They had the car for about an hour or so and informed me it was not leaking (which I already knew!). I was advised to return in 500 miles and they will check the Oil level to see if it has gone down much. At the moment I am walking and pedalling to work so it will probably take me about 8 + weeks to do that sort of mileage, but I will be returning.

Steve

I'd start driving it mate! because if Toyota pull out the TSB for the extended warranty in a few months time! you could be left with a car that wont be covered!... As you may have seen on the tread concerning the 2AD power units...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I'm pleased te report that my Auris T180 is currently at Toyota having a 3/4 engine fitted/ replaced (Although no one at the garage has actually explained exactly what this involves!)

My advice (after many years of care free Toyota motoring) is avoid the RMB group for Toyota at present (very poor customer service) and consider VW etc before buying a Toyota. I don't think I will be buying from them again, which is quite sad as I thought I would 'stay' with them as I got older and could not imagine a day when we would look at another brand. Although our 05 petrol Corolla is still going strong.

Steve

• 10 months later...

Hi again

My T180 had it's new engine fitted swiftly, but one of the first things I noticed when I got it home was that the gear changes were very difficult and stiff when the car was cold. After yet more visits and leaving the car with RMB they eventually changed the gearbox oil - it feels like brand new now. Why they could not have got that right in the first place I will never understand.

Now my next issue: the new engine has done about 3500 miles and I thought I would give it a good blast the other day when everything was warmed up, for some reason when driving enthusiastically in 2nd or 3rd and maybe 4th gear the engine seems to start sticking at around 4000 RPM. This I find quite unnerving, it seems to stick and then rev higher even though I have eased off the accelerator, sometimes it even seems to keep on revving when I brake.

The first time it happened I presumed I had caught the accelerator whilst braking, but clearly when it happened several times this was not the case. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Sick of RMB I happened to mention it the other day when my Dad picked up his new car and was advised it was possibly a problem with the Fuel Filter - which I am guessing should be new as is the engine.

Thanks Steve

Fuel filter isnt changed as part of the new 3/4 engine. When was your fuel filter last changed?

Alex

Hi Alex

It was changed in March of last year. Even though I was hoping the engine would be changed the car was due one of the Major services and as per the recommendations it was replaced. I thought this was the safest way to do it, just so that RMB couldn't say it did not have the required service record.

This means it's done a maximum of 4500 miles, and probably less.

Steve

Steve

That's not many miles on the clock for a fuel filter unless you have really bad fuel, have seen one clog up in 9k though. I would start looking at the SCV/fuel pumps ect or a can of fuel additive and a good thrashing

Alex

Hi Alex

It's always filled up at Shell, obviously I don't do many miles at the moment as I'm not using it to get to work. The Oil still looks 'clean' when I check it. This is my first diesel, always had petrol Toyota's. If I thrash it once it is warmed up can I do any damage or is the engine limited etc, I must admit it does shift when you try a bit....

Steve

Using the rev range is always good once in a while, helps get everything up to temperature. It does have a limiter so you won't do damage to it unless you repeatedly hold it there

Alex

As with almost any modern diesel, they actually need some heavy footed-ness now & again. Not just once a month, but more like once or twice a week. As long as the engine is fully warmed & you're not trying to break the limiter, it helps to keep the emissions system unblocked & even encourage 'natural' exhaust regeneration (where the 5th injector 'hot-burns' excess soot).

Unfortunately this ritual is just part of the necessary evil that comes with manufacturer's obsession with lower CO2 figures.

Ah well. That's probably whats needed. As I've said the T180 doesn't get used that much, it's spent the last 10 days parked in my garage. It's just annoying as my Wife's 05 petrol Corolla runs like a dream and it has done 20 times as many miles as my replacement engine.

Think I will be looking at a Honda Type R petrol for my next car. Feels like Toyota have let me down with my first diesel - interestingly I see Toyota have agreed a deal with BMW to use their diesel engines from the end of this/ beginning of next year.

Thanks for your advice.

Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links