Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fan And A/c Problems

barrycoll

during the recent hot weather, the fan a/c unit gave up the ghost....hopefully this is just a blown fuse on the fan, but I have no idea where, and how to check this, and possibly replace it???

any blow by blow instructions, would be sincerely appreciated............a visit to Toy.Town is always fraught ...(eg your a/c unit is burn out Sir, and a replacement unit is £425 plus fitting and VAT!!!)

so I will go for the fuse option first ....

yours Expectantly

Barryc.

Inside the car take a look at the left hand side of the left hand footwell. There should be a removal panel in the trim in front of the passenger seat kind of at the front of the door.

If you pop off that cover and look upwards you might find a fuse box with a removable cover. Pop that cover off and take a look for a 10 amp fuse which is fuse number 3.

According to the handbook that is the fuse for "Air conditioning system, wiper deicer, rear window defogger"

I can't see a fuse in the list specifically for the heater fans though so not sure if it comes under the air conditioning system or not.

Craig.

Isn't it still under warranty? Thats what I would be telling them.

Fish

When you say gave up the ghost. Do you mean the display has gone blank as well? Or the fan stopped working. Does the heat part work. Is it just the cooling. Sorry in the Med so cant check stuff fir you Barry

David

thanks folks...

thanks Craig, I will check out the passengers footwell, although I would imagine that the fan motor would have its own fuse.......AND plastic panel removal usually defeats me.........just not Bold enough

Thanks Tarquin, and No all the dash lights are On, as if the fan,a/c,temp were operating, but no fan, and so no heat ∧ no cooling.....????

thanks Dan for reminding me.....the car is 09, so may just scrap into a warranty look from T's.

cheers barryc

While my experience with Toyota/Scion is limited, I do work for a car company, and I see similar situations all the time with Chevys, which is what I deal with. If this kind of situation were on a Chevy, I would likely think that the heater fan resister was the problem. Not saying it is in your case, as I don't know if the iQ is set up the same way. But from what you're describing, it sounds like the same kind of situation.

The fan control isnt like older car design whre the fan controller is basically 2 hiigh wattage resistors normally mounted near the front to take advantage of air rusging by to cool them. The switch selects either resistor or none depending on speed is required. The iQ is of stepper motor design and is controlled by PCM. Pulse code modulation basically digitally controlled from the ECU. Overal though controlled via a fuse. First port of call

David

thanks David, and fingers X'd that it is just a fuse

I have just realised that as the car is an early 09, it was warranted up until March 31st 2012!!!.....5 days ago!

so have booked it in to a very nice Toy town mob in West Hampstead, called Twin Spark.....so will se if they are happy about the 5 days, or suggest that it is 'tuff luck'

cheers barryc

Fingers crossed there will be a bit of good will on their part. :)

Fish

took the car to Twin Spark Motors thsi morning, and they were excellent....asked me if I could wait for an hour, and they whipped the dash out (a la Tarquin!), and stripped all those thingies that David was talking about, put it all back together again...............and it worked!

they were happy to order a new motor etc, but its seems to have been a dodgy connection, but thay say that they are happy to replace the motor if it happens again...

AND, no mention of any charge...!!!

seriously impressed, and now may change the Golf for a Prius/Avensis when the time comes

cheers folks barryc.

Great result Barry. It's nice to hear a good story about Mr. T. now and again ain't it? Good will and all that soppy stuff. Oh dear, I think I'm welling up... BWAAAAAH :crybaby:

Big up to the guys at Twin Spark for not charging you. That doesn't happen very often nowadays.

Fish

thanks Dan...thanks Robert

interestingly, although the Mr Toy warranty expired at the end of March., Marshal Motors, who sold me the car, also gave a 12 months warranty, although lord knows how one access's it???

cheer barryc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links