Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot `door` Hinge Wider Opening

scotrav4

Hi to all you seasoned Rav4 owners from a newbie 2006 owner :D first post so be Gentle

Being a 2006 it has the spare wheel attatched to the back door but dosnt open quite as wide as the new one i seen in the showroom today, I`m assuming its to stop the spare clouting off anything as it sticks out further, i looked at the `stay` arm that stops the door opening wider, it looks similer to the new model 2012 only shorter, would any of you knowledgable peeps know if they are interchangeable, and if so how easy/difficult would it be to a 3 spanner (haynes) novice such as myself ?

loving the Rav4 by the way, overtaking ooomph is magic :D

Thanks for the quick reply buddy, I did try the search but every time I searched it told me every word was to short and to try again, chuffed its as easy as it looks and the jap part is only 45 delivered ... Now to let the good lady know its an essential mod ... It was one of my first comments when I opened the boot

Cheers Hoovie

Just found the list of 'how to's , should have spent more time lookin around the site , cheers

The 'short' stay is meant to prevent an open door/spare wheel from obscuring one rear light, when you park on the left side of the road (ie RHD models) at night - potentially lethal. LHD models don't have this issue, unless brought to RHD countries!

A really good 'conversion' to long stay would include an additional light fitted to the rear door edge, at the same height as the existing tail-lights.

C.

The long stay strap has a 'stop' point part way along which can be used if opening door on an unlit road at nighttime to avoid that situation, although loading or unloading a car in that situation would be ill-advised whatever the vehicle and rear door/tailgate arrangement.

If this is so potentially lethal, why do other similar vehicles not have this restriction, such as Suzuki GV, Honda CR-V?

Using full-length reflective strips on the complete door length on the side is effective, quick and easy to do, is very visible and does the job.

Not wishing to bash the point, but reflective strips are only effective in the path of something with headlights, and this may not always be the case. Any vehicle parked with obscured/without off-side lighting on a dark road is asking for trouble, and the RAV is no exception. How other marques view this is anyone's guess. I'm sure the point can be argued either way if you're determined.

Chris

Simple enough to piggy back a red LED light from the useless rear door boot light. Lots of versions available that will fit onto door edge as above.

Thanks for the quick reply buddy, I did try the search but every time I searched it told me every word was to short and to try again, chuffed its as easy as it looks and the jap part is only 45 delivered ... Now to let the good lady know its an essential mod ... It was one of my first comments when I opened the boot

Cheers Hoovie

Hello

If you dont mind where are you buying the part from for £45 ? i would like to fit one myself.

Thanks

Andy

pm sent moody man :D ... i take no reponsability once you`ve fitted it if an artic runs up yer ***** because he didnt see you on an un-lit road because you left yer boot open too long... :P

Yoda just looked at the listing for yours and it looks to be £52+ postage dont know why yours would be more, sorry to build your hopes up :dontgetit: mby there not expecting to sell as many to my year seeing as the spare dissapeared into oblivion aftr a couple of years of this version

Hmm not so cheap after all, I might just make one out of an old cost hanger,..... :D

I doubt you'd be the first.....................

Quite a few people have just knocked out the centre pin to allow the door to open fully on the occasion they need it, though it is obviously more hassle that way.

I now have in my possesion, a used, but in very good condition standard (i.e short) stay arm thingy for a rav4 4.3 2006 boot door :P £45 delivered to your door.... oooh I`m bad, only joking members can have it for £40 :P

good to go Mr Moody Andy, quick delivery and good price,

cheers all, very easy swap, 10 mins max, although popping the trim off was a bit scary, all came away intact went back on easily...

Mark :D

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Just reading your string.

Can I suggest you go to "Rear Door Mod"

Regards

Brian

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links