Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shocked By High Insurance Quote On The Rav!

Scorpion-gb

I know this is a topic that turns up a lot but I've just had my insurance renewal from Admiral. They have always been the cheapest insurers for my BMW for the last three years. Last year fully comp with PNCB was £226.00 for the BMW, I replaced the BMW with the Rav4. Imagine my shock this year when Admiral wanted £357.00 to insure the Rav!!!!

I'm 57 with full no claims bonus, no accidents, no convictions, not even a speeding ticket. Mileage is limited to 8000, car is garaged at night, I live in a nice area where car theft is extremely rare but none of this made any difference to the premium.

I finally managed to get a best quote price of £281.00 from Hastings. Does anyone else pay premiums this high on a 2005 Rav4 XT-R diesel, or am I too easily shocked?

Right then, sit back and hold onto your seats. 41 yrs old over 20 yrs NCB ( max ur allowed is 5 i think that insures allow as full). No penalties or claims weve got 2 Ravs both 4.2's diesel GX and a 2.0 auto vvti my mrs is virtually the same history as myself one is usually in the garage and the other on the drive

in total this years Renewal from admiral came back as £2437 for both with £500 excess I shop around every year and had no luck at all. rang Toyota Insurance and paid £1169 for both

I know I live in a rubbish place so to say however we're in the decent part i suppose. Insurance is a nightmare here

i had achat with our newly elected MP Mr Galloway who has promised that it will be raised in the commons but i dont think that would make a difference. I think its already been raised by the Government but i dont think it'll make a difference

I lived in Fort William for a few years way back when i was younger if i get a quote on that address for both cars it comes to just a touch over £500

think i feel like chopping the heads of all these car thieves and people who make fraudulent claims now after reading about how their actions affect the honest folk :giljotiini:

to be honest i appreciate it does make a difference to your premium on where you live but im sure they could find a fairer way of quoting based on an individual basis. its so unfair that all us decent hard working people have to pay for the actions of all the thieving little ****es out there.It effects everyone and who ends paying through the nose as always all the honest people. I can rant on forever and all being well we are hoping to move in the near future and the first thing ill be checking is the insurance postcode ratings :angry: :angry:

Ash, there is a company called "insure4excess" that you can buy a policy from which will cover your excess of £500 (if you make a claim that is greater then £500 of course), which maybe worth looking into with that high excess level? It may even be postcode-neutral!

When I renewed my Policy, I decided to go from a £ZERO excess whatsoever and have a couple of hudred pound instead, and the saving went a fair way to pay for this excess insurance policy (which also covers excess on house, travel and pet insurances).

Ash, there is a company called "insure4excess" that you can buy a policy from which will cover your excess of £500 (if you make a claim that is greater then £500 of course), which maybe worth looking into with that high excess level? It may even be postcode-neutral!

When I renewed my Policy, I decided to go from a £ZERO excess whatsoever and have a couple of hudred pound instead, and the saving went a fair way to pay for this excess insurance policy (which also covers excess on house, travel and pet insurances).

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at that tonight. It's a shame to be honest that it's postcode based

What winds me up even more is how many uninsured drivers there are out there and seem to get away with it

I know recently with new technology a lot more are being caught out but that's probably about less than 2-3%

I'll let you know if it makes a difference

Ash

I know this is a topic that turns up a lot but I've just had my insurance renewal from Admiral. They have always been the cheapest insurers for my BMW for the last three years. Last year fully comp with PNCB was £226.00 for the BMW, I replaced the BMW with the Rav4. Imagine my shock this year when Admiral wanted £357.00 to insure the Rav!!!!

I'm 57 with full no claims bonus, no accidents, no convictions, not even a speeding ticket. Mileage is limited to 8000, car is garaged at night, I live in a nice area where car theft is extremely rare but none of this made any difference to the premium.

I finally managed to get a best quote price of £281.00 from Hastings. Does anyone else pay premiums this high on a 2005 Rav4 XT-R diesel, or am I too easily shocked?

Right then, sit back and hold onto your seats. 41 yrs old over 20 yrs NCB ( max ur allowed is 5 i think that insures allow as full). No penalties or claims weve got 2 Ravs both 4.2's diesel GX and a 2.0 auto vvti my mrs is virtually the same history as myself one is usually in the garage and the other on the drive

in total this years Renewal from admiral came back as £2437 for both with £500 excess I shop around every year and had no luck at all. rang Toyota Insurance and paid £1169 for both

I know I live in a rubbish place so to say however we're in the decent part i suppose. Insurance is a nightmare here

i had achat with our newly elected MP Mr Galloway who has promised that it will be raised in the commons but i dont think that would make a difference. I think its already been raised by the Government but i dont think it'll make a difference

I lived in Fort William for a few years way back when i was younger if i get a quote on that address for both cars it comes to just a touch over £500

think i feel like chopping the heads of all these car thieves and people who make fraudulent claims now after reading about how their actions affect the honest folk :giljotiini:

to be honest i appreciate it does make a difference to your premium on where you live but im sure they could find a fairer way of quoting based on an individual basis. its so unfair that all us decent hard working people have to pay for the actions of all the thieving little ****es out there.It effects everyone and who ends paying through the nose as always all the honest people. I can rant on forever and all being well we are hoping to move in the near future and the first thing ill be checking is the insurance postcode ratings :angry: :angry:

Sympathies on two fronts there, Ash....uitterly shocking price to have to pay for insurance, and secondly having that wee piece of Scottish self centred egotistical excrement as your MP......if he does any good on this front, or any other, that will be a miracle. He spends most of his time deeply in love, but must find it difficult carrying that full length mirror around at his age.....

Rant O'Ver

Sympathies on two fronts there, Ash....uitterly shocking price to have to pay for insurance, and secondly having that wee piece of Scottish self centred egotistical excrement as your MP......if he does any good on this front, or any other, that will be a miracle. He spends most of his time deeply in love, but must find it difficult carrying that full length mirror around at his age.....

Rant O'Ver

Lol kev

I can assure you he never got my vote

Ash

Well, there is clearly nothing new under the sun.

After years of cursing the insurance industry for being nothing more than licensed burglars, I've just received my renewal from Swiftsure and it has gone DOWN by £25 to £361 (My NCB is still building up due to having had company cars for years). This is a first for me (& my wife). Maybe I can improve on this by doing the comparison site conga but if I can avoid that, it will be an enormous blessing. Apart from the hassle of inputting all the details again, you end up spending ages deleting unsolicited emails once you get the quotes.

I think I'll just enjoy the moment for now.......

If your RENEWAL has gone down by £25 then you can be pretty sure other companies will be cheaper the last years quotes. You would be mad not to give it a go.

Places like confused.com you just put the details in once and not only does it use then across companies, but it is saved so next year, and the year after, and .... Your details are there already and Just need to check for any changes. How easy do you want it?! :D

Well, there is clearly nothing new under the sun.

After years of cursing the insurance industry for being nothing more than licensed burglars, I've just received my renewal from Swiftsure and it has gone DOWN by £25 to £361 (My NCB is still building up due to having had company cars for years). This is a first for me (& my wife). Maybe I can improve on this by doing the comparison site conga but if I can avoid that, it will be an enormous blessing. Apart from the hassle of inputting all the details again, you end up spending ages deleting unsolicited emails once you get the quotes.

I think I'll just enjoy the moment for now.......

Jimbob min....try Aviva on a multi policy for you and wifey. I too had company cars up to retiring at 55 four years ago, so had to plead poverty to Saga at the time....who gave me 6 years NCB AND A GOOD QUOTE.....THEN TRIED TO HUMP ME IN THE SECOND YEAR !!!! Went to Esure, who did same bloody thing.

These people obviously keeping the dartboard industry alive.....that's where their actuaries get their numbers from......

Big Kev

You're probably right, Hoovie but it still takes time to edit your profile and, maybe it's me. but depending on which site you're on, it never, ever goes smoothly. I've lost track of the number of times I've logged off in frustration because the site in question didn't want to play.

I've never had any luck with Aviva (nor Saga nor TGB's own) but premiums are so dependent upon things that are unique to that company, you never know where you might score. So, i will give them a try & see what happens.

I went Admiral multicar and managed to get fully comp insurance for a Subaru RB320 for £212 group 42. My diesel rav 2.2 was £185 and the better halves petrol 3 door Rav is just about the £200 mark. All in all I saved enough to get the Subaru tax for free £444, well chuffed.

I do a search around every year and Hastings have always been in the best three cheapest, so stick with them.

BUT when Hastings give you the renewal THEIR own on line quote will beat it!

Therefore, every year, I have to turn down the renewal, cancel the policy, and go through it all again every year! It is absurd, but the only way to get the best price.

NB when comparing always check the crucial bits to get a fair price. NCD protection, legal cover, excess, voluntary excess, courtesy car, breakdown cover etc etc!! They all make a huge difference.

I don't know if Toyota insurance are the same but for my LR I've always stuck with "LR Insurance" because they are the ONLY insurance co that guarantee repairs from a LR garage (also cover trailer while towing and cover whilst "off road" which most companies don't!). Remember that if you're playing with the Rav on the green stuff you may MOT be insured!

Dave

(oops, just noticed I said LR 3 times in one post- incoming! As some say!)

I do a search around every year and Hastings have always been in the best three cheapest, so stick with them.

Therefore, every year, I have to turn down the renewal, cancel the policy, and go through it all again every year! It is absurd, but the only way to get the best price.

NB when comparing always check the crucial bits to get a fair price. NCD protection, legal cover, excess, voluntary excess, courtesy car, breakdown cover etc etc!! They all make a huge difference.

I don't know if Toyota insurance are the same but for my LR I've always stuck with "LR Insurance" because they are the ONLY insurance co that guarantee repairs from a LR garage (also cover trailer while towing and cover whilst "off road" which most companies don't!). Remember that if you're playing with the Rav on the green stuff you may MOT be insured!

Dave

You have just confirmed my wee jibe re the dartboard industry, Dave....what a kafuffle to have to go through each year for the same insurer. I would phone up their call centre next year and say you will change to another insurer if they don't give you the online rate.....you will immediately be "escalated" to a supervisor who will suddenly capitulate.....did it myself.

Big Kev

Dave

You have just confirmed my wee jibe re the dartboard industry, Dave....what a kafuffle to have to go through each year for the same insurer. I would phone up their call centre next year and say you will change to another insurer if they don't give you the online rate.....you will immediately be "escalated" to a supervisor who will suddenly capitulate.....did it myself.

Big Kev

I did tell them that! I said every time they MAKE me go on line and get a quote again I'll be looking round and sooner or later will go elsewhere. Tbh they didn't seem that bothered!!

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links