Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Noise Thats Annoying

DABEAR

hi all my rav makes a funny type grinding noise when driving in all gears, all speeds but dip the clutch and coast no noise peace and quiet, no probs changing up and down, no judders when changing either way, first noticed before xmas very faint whilst on M6 but got a little louder, garage did full service on it and said they've heard noisier, but when stood still out of gear no noise, apart from the engine. any ideas would be most helpful

Ed

hi all my rav makes a funny type grinding noise when driving in all gears, all speeds but dip the clutch and coast no noise peace and quiet, no probs changing up and down, no judders when changing either way, first noticed before xmas very faint whilst on M6 but got a little louder, garage did full service on it and said they've heard noisier, but when stood still out of gear no noise, apart from the engine. any ideas would be most helpful

Ed

Clutch thrust (release) bearing....? Can go like this for ages, so wait until clutch plate also needs done....?

Big Kev

Does it 'chatter/clatter' when sat out of gear and then goes away when you press the clutch in? If so it's thrust release bearing or clutch adjustment issue. Nothing to major to worry about get it done when clutch is replaced as it's a pig to do.

Cheers guys, no it doesn't make any noise when sat out of gear, just when in gear, yesterday tested for when the noise is heard first, its just as clutch bites then its constant in all gears, but if clutch pedal dipped just before clutch bites no noise at all. would this be lack of oil or the Clutch thrust (release) bearing, or even both.

An after thought garage should have checked the oil when service, just looked in the manual and it says the bottom guard has to be removed to check oil, maybe someones not don't that, thik ill have a blast when this wet stuff finishes falling.

But is it safe to drive like this???????????

Ed

Sounds like thrust bearing, mines been doing it for last 2k miles (Im on 104k miles) im waiting until the clutch starts slipping an then I'll do the lot. Im into rallying if it still goes forward it's still working. Turn the radio up it'll go away :)

I have noticed something similar in my car but am putting down to the 4 wheel drive after driving 2wd all my puff!....I hear a increasing slight hum from the transmission and the hum increased as the speed increased. Not sure if they check the tranny oil in a standard service. Had lots of experience with gubbed dual mass flywheel issues ( courtesy of GM ) and thought that a knackered thrust bearing sign is when you push the clutch in at neutral and the sound disappears as you stick it in gear.....but as ever....I may be wrong.....Good Luck A

not sure what your saying allan (thought that a knackered thrust bearing sign is when you push the clutch in at neutral and the sound disappears as you stick it in gear) is it not the other way round as others suggest, is it not knackered when you stick it out of gear into neutral the sound disappears !!!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Ed

I don't know what am saying either....I may have got the thrust bearing anecdote back to front....it was 9 months ago when I had all the trouble.....that wasn't with my Rav though!.....I do have a similar sound although it sounds mechanical ( gear like ) and speeds up as you get faster. It doesn't incresae iN volume....it's quite feint sounding but it's there.

Cheers

A

Cheers guys, But it was the gearbox bearings all (3) replaced (£493.51) car now sounds a dream i can even turn the radio down, Clutch was down to the rivets, thrust bearing nearly pretty evenly worn to max, cover forks badly scored all (3) parts replaced by toyota (Coventry) they collected car at 735am precisely both jobs completed car bought back to my home at 530pm today, car valeted, total vehicle safety check done with report (£791.49) enough said, both jobs were inclusive or parts/labour/Vat

All old parts returned.

Ed

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links