Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello And How I Came To Own A Rav

Ex Tiff

Thought I'd introduce myself to the forum by describing how I came to buy a RAV

After deciding to swap a Yaris D4D MMT and Suzuki Jimny auto for one car decided that replacement should have the following:-

4WD as we wanted to go back to a touring caravan and don't rate fwd cars for towing on wet fields

Full size spare wheel – few of the alternatives are recommended for use when towing

Diesel for economy - expecting to do over 20K miles per year

Auto - my personal preference strengthened by partners refusal to drive a manual shift

Lift up tailgate so boot can be accessed with trailer attached

Car not to be too large due to limited size of garage and parking bay

anything else would be nice to have but not essential

Decided on new car as very few diesel autos were available prior to 2010

Ended up with a shortlist of Skoda Yeti / Kia Sportage / Toyota RAV

Skoda Yeti 4X4 dsg 140

Smallest of the three, bit choppy ride, great engine although sounded a bit gruff, cheapest of choices.

Dealer apologised that he could not realistically take an order as there was no planned production of diesel auto for the next 9 months and he expected this to get longer as people were taking the 2WD to avoid wait. His advice was to go next door and see if VW could offer a better lead time on the Tiguan.

Strike 1

Kia Sportage/Hyundai ix35

The only one to meet all requirements, didn't feel as surefooted as RAV on test drive,otherwise it is almost a clone of the RAV with full leather, Dealer said delivery time minimum of 6 months due to orders exceeding expectation. Strike 2

Toyota RAV4

Good but quite a bit pricier than others but no spare and side opening boot. Asked for test drive and was given an XT-R auto for a full day unsupervised, tried the ST but thought the ride was harsher on larger lower profile tyres. When I asked the delivery lead time the answer was 2 weeks in any colour or spec required.

Game over. I ordered the XT-R with protection pack and towbar. Downside was whilst mine was being prepped for delivery Mr T was reported in Auto Express as advancing 2012 upgrades to Feb 1st. The XTR now having reversing camera and keyless entry at no extra cost. Drat after months of searching I missed the upgrade by 5 days. Such is luck.

After 5400 miles it's starting to free up nicely and is a comfortable drive, convincing me that I ended up with an excellent vehicle if not my first choice.

Fuel consumption calculated brim to brim 38.3 mpg overall, dash readout 38.3. Last tankful calculated at 42.9 since diesels usually continue to improve for some time I'm impressed. The Yaris was still showing a very gradual improvement after 54K miles ending at 56.7mpg overall.

From my experience it is no wonder Mr T has become the largest motor manufacturer in the world.

Having read of the engine problems suffered by some on this forum I wonder if, for all the assurances that the engine problems have been cured on the newer models, have they. It seems the only real difference between the 136,180 and 150 engines is the ECU setting and some having the D-Cat. If any components have been changed on later models curing the problems, surely none of the replaced engines would fail as they would be exactly the same engine build as the later models but some have failed more than once. Only a thought as I had a panic moment when at about 3000 miles the instantaneous readout stuck resolutely at about 15mpg and the overall mpg readout fell steadily for about 100 miles. I nearly took it back to the dealer but it cleared and has sounded and performed much better since, could this be the d-cat self cleaning? My driving style is fairly gentle as I try to stay inside the speed limits (I hate giving money to the government that I don't have to). The hardest thing has been trying to use the full rev range while running in as the auto box keeps the revs below 2400 through all changes up to 70mph. I did try the paddle shifters but after a couple of minutes got bored with it and went back to auto.

John

Welcome to the RAV fold John.

I can assure you that the previous engine issues are sorted with your RAV and the big difference is that the block is modified along with the pistons and rings rather than the pistons and rings on reworked engines.

You can coax the RAV to change later by using sport mode and keep the EGR and engine internals healthy by using at least branded fuel or better still high grade.

Welcome to the RAV fold John. I can assure you that the previous engine issues are sorted with your RAV and the big difference is that the block is modified along with the pistons and rings rather than the pistons and rings on reworked engines. You can coax the RAV to change later by using sport mode and keep the EGR and engine internals healthy by using at least branded fuel or better still high grade.

Thanks Don,

I normally use branded fuels as my local Shell is cheaper than supermarkets. I always seem to find my place in the queue lands on a pump with only standard diesel and choice of petrol. Must admit though I never noticed any difference in performance or economy in the Yaris whatever fuel used. Servicing always done by supplying dealer so I am certain that correct Toyota spec consumables used.

John

You won't necessarily notice any difference in performance but it you were to look at carbon deposits inside the engine you would.

Hi John. Welcme to TOC.

Good economy you are getting there :). I must admit I found no visible benefit of using premium fuels over standard branded.

I only tried the paddle shifts for a few mins on various occasions and went back to auto each time as it was so much simpler.

if you think the engine could benefit from running at higher revs for a period, then you can easily set the auto to not go above a certain gear, so once at that chosen gear, the revs will just increase with speed rather then shift up further.

I do tend to have trust in Toyota Dealers, but I would not assume they always use the right consumables (my SR was serviced with the C2 instead of C3 spec oil by supplying dealer)

Don,

I'm hoping I'll never open another engine up, got oily often enough. Bucket and sponge is enough for me, unless I get carried away and try to match Charlies paintwork though I doubt I'll ever have the patience or dedication.

Hoovie,

My dealer has always printed out the model specification and part nos used on servicing invoice. Not much room for error and reassuring. On the economy I have always been fairly gentle on machinery, spent too much time fixing broken oily things to want to break them. Retirement means I now have clean hands and no broken fingernails.

John

Don,

I'm hoping I'll never open another engine up, got oily often enough. Bucket and sponge is enough for me, unless I get carried away and try to match Charlies paintwork though I doubt I'll ever have the patience or dedication.

Hoovie,

My dealer has always printed out the model specification and part nos used on servicing invoice. Not much room for error and reassuring. On the economy I have always been fairly gentle on machinery, spent too much time fixing broken oily things to want to break them. Retirement means I now have clean hands and no broken fingernails.

John

John. Retirement means I now have the time to tinker and polish My cars.. Though I always used to find the time to do it before I actually look forward to a day on the car.. All this is to change soon though as I am returning to work cos I'm bored to tears.. Perhaps 52 was a little to early to retire...

I'm sure Your car will be a cracker.. I envy that Auto transmission.

Have fun and welcome to the mad house.

Oh and on Fuel.. I would rather push My cars than put crap fuel in them ........

Welcome to the forum John.

Great choice in the Rav, it's a brilliant motor. A shame you missed the upgrades as I have keyless entry on my XTR and it's a joy to have.

I'm in Dijon at the moment in mine, bound for lake Como in the morning. Stuck at 70 on the motorway and I'm getting very high 40's mpg out of mine and a cracking comfortable ride to boot.

Enjoy your motor

Charlie,

Many thanks the auto is excellent meant paying to buy new, my eyes are still watering at the cost. I waited till 60 to quit relaxed for 6 months and the old ticker stopped, two years on and I no longer have any desire for the rat race unless the money runs out of course. Till then I'm planning to see some of the 90 per cent of Britain I only ever bypassed when working.

John

Charlie,

Many thanks the auto is excellent meant paying to buy new, my eyes are still watering at the cost. I waited till 60 to quit relaxed for 6 months and the old ticker stopped, two years on and I no longer have any desire for the rat race unless the money runs out of course. Till then I'm planning to see some of the 90 per cent of Britain I only ever bypassed when working.

John

John maybe I should have hung on till say 60 ?? I have tried to fill the time with many hobbies..

Golf.... MMmmm Disaster !! Cant hit the !Removed! ball...

Jet skiing... Great fun but after an hour I'm bored again...

I spend 3 mornings a week in the gym and still instruct Martial arts so that helps.....

Shooting... Love it but need to improve,,

All sorts and anything I will have a go at but the moment the **** hits the chair I'm bored again.. I used to work 6 days a week and be bored on Sunday.. So heaven knows how I though I could retire....

What do You do to fill all the time in ??

My many trips up and down country help but its not the same .. MMmmmmmm

I'm sure You will have fun touring round in the new car. I am impressed by Your fuel figures. For an auto that's very good.

Charlie,

John

John maybe I should have hung on till say 60 ?? I have tried to fill the time with many hobbies..

I spend 3 mornings a week in the gym and still instruct Martial arts so that helps.....

All sorts and anything I will have a go at but the moment the ***** hits the chair I'm bored again.. I used to work 6 days a week and be bored on Sunday.. So heaven knows how I though I could retire....

I'm sure You will have fun touring round in the new car. I am impressed by Your fuel figures. For an auto that's very good.

Charlie,

I learned to watch the world go by after my ticker decided to stop. I came out of that weak as a kitten with no stamina whatever. I now spend a lot of time in the gym and walking around the moors trying to get back to normal. Slowing right down was forced on me, not a choice, now whatever I need to do magically expands to fill the day. I still get bored to tears but have learned to accept it. If you enjoy your work why ever stop while the challenge is still there? I believe you ran your own business and it's a hell of a lot harder to leave that behind than quitting a faceless corporation and daily grind. Hobbies are great to fill in time but don't often provide the real challenge we need long term. Another option is to work for charitable causes if you are financially secure, it gets you out there mixing with people outside your normal circle which is probably the thing I miss most about work. You might gather I would probably still be there if I had full choice. By the way best of luck with the shooting, England v Scotland with guns, frightening thought they get excited enough over a football

John

Charlie,

John

All sorts and anything I will have a go at but the moment the ***** hits the chair I'm bored again.. I used to work 6 days a week and be bored on Sunday.. So heaven knows how I though I could retire....

Charlie,

I learned to watch the world go by after my ticker decided to stop. I came out of that weak as a kitten with no stamina whatever. I now spend a lot of time in the gym and walking around the moors trying to get back to normal. Slowing right down was forced on me, not a choice, now whatever I need to do magically expands to fill the day. I still get bored to tears but have learned to accept it. If you enjoy your work why ever stop while the challenge is still there? I believe you ran your own business and it's a hell of a lot harder to leave that behind than quitting a faceless corporation and daily grind. Hobbies are great to fill in time but don't often provide the real challenge we need long term. Another option is to work for charitable causes if you are financially secure, it gets you out there mixing with people outside your normal circle which is probably the thing I miss most about work. You might gather I would probably still be there if I had full choice. By the way best of luck with the shooting, England v Scotland with guns, frightening thought they get excited enough over a football

John

Appreciate what You are saying John and in a way that sort of explains where I'm at without having realised it !!

I still have a financial interest in the Company I passed on to a colleague and friend ..

But I face a new challenge in taking over the business of a lifelong friend who is terminally ill in order to try and fulfil My assurances to Him that I will do My best for His family... So I'm filled with the excitement of the challenge and the fear I will get it wrong as It could not be further from what I did for all those years.... Will give it my best shot though and have the support of a great family !!

Glad Your on the mend though really am !!

Well, Charlie, I spent yesterday getting down and oily working on the overhaul on this:

www.5542.co.uk

Would that I had more time to spare for t but the day job interferes with that. It keeps me off the streets at the weekends though.

Now that is a piece of kit Mike!

There is no spare wheel tho :unsure:

Yeah, but it doesn't have a DMF either :thumbsup:

And I'm pretty sure it can be made to run with a wheel missing too..........

Yeah, but it doesn't have a DMF either :thumbsup:

And I'm pretty sure it can be made to run with a wheel missing too..........

Working pressure 200psi with a superheater instead of a turbo. Working on it calls for flippin big spanners tho

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links