Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Schizophrenic Air Con.

benxt5

The air con in my rav is blowing cold from the passenger side but what feels like ambient temperature (so hot today) from the driver side, even split the centre console blowers. It was not set to dual and both sides were on "Lo" on the display. The pressure from each side is about the same, as far as you can tell by putting your hand in front of it.

Any ideas?

You don't say which exact model (4.2 or 4.3) and year you have.

I believe that Toyota cars fitted with Climate control have a built in diagnostic. On the 4.2 cars you access this by pressing two buttons on ignition start up. I attach the details for the 4.2 below as an example. If you have another model you can access this information at the Toyota tech site.

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/

3 Euros buys you 1 hours access, you enter you cars details and then download as much data as an hour will allow.

AC Self diagnosis.pdf

AC diag codes.pdf

Cheers. The model is a 2006 56reg 4.3 xt5 d4d.

I'll see if it blows ambient or actually hot this morning on the way to work as the outside temperature is a lot lower.

It has been very hot lately, it you were parked in the sun maybe one of the selector flaps has stuck due to plastic expansion and will free up when its cool.

If the fault persists I would check for an error code and then run a flap motor diagnostic test, this cycles through all the flap settings and reports back if any are stuck.

You could try disconnecting the Battery just in case the AC ECU has lost its marbles. (does happen but unlikely) If you do this you will lose any stored codes.

Still doing it. Tried to turn the driver side up to full and back sown again. Did it with engine off and fan on lowest so u could listen in. It makes a whining motor noise and then a few clicks as if the thing that's meant to move is stuck and the motor is skipping over the teeth when it clicks.

I guess that means one of the paddles is stuck.

Please tell me it isn't a dash out job to fix?!?!?

Otherwise I'm imaginging a 20p parts bill and £500 labour!

'fraid so. You need to do the servo test and check for error codes before you contemplate taking the dash out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links