Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres.........again

baz1631

good morning Gentlemen or in my case good evening (cause im workin nights now!) I'm toying with the idea of buying new tyres, preferably chunky type ones to handle the potholes and future winter weather, (i know its early yet but determined to be prepared this year !) It would b very helpfull if I could get some feedback on type and performance/capeability etc, at the moment Ive got my eyes on "marix puma" 235/60/16 and wondered if it would handle ok on wet tarmac, also I do very little m-way driving as im nearly 100 mls from one! but ocasionaly go down to "the big smoke" (glesca) (see Bothy for translation) Thanx for any comments and advice.,PS: Hope you are all keeping well !

Just looked at pics of your chosen tyre. Nice chunky looking tyre. Looks great for snow and off road but surely must be compromised for any road use (don't need a motorway to do 60mph). So the decision is compromise between looks/ability off road compared to road noise etc. I live very South so don't see a lot of snow, but what we had was no match for the standard Geolandars that come on the 4.3 Ravs of mines age. So I'd only need a tyre like that if I was going proper off road. I do a little driving on forest tracks etc but again standard Tyres (in good condition) cope perfectly well with all that.

Dave

Hi DJ, The tyres i was looking at were 80/20 type and apparently road legal. what dose the "80/20" part mean?

here?Hi DJ, The tyres i was looking at were 80/20 type and apparently road legal. what dose the "80/20" part mean? are they ok when braking cornering on normal roads? d'you think I should look at others.( I do think they'd look good on a rav!)

good morning Gentlemen or in my case good evening (cause im workin nights now!) I'm toying with the idea of buying new tyres, preferably chunky type ones to handle the potholes and future winter weather, (i know its early yet but determined to be prepared this year !) It would b very helpfull if I could get some feedback on type and performance/capeability etc, at the moment Ive got my eyes on "marix puma" 235/60/16 and wondered if it would handle ok on wet tarmac, also I do very little m-way driving as im nearly 100 mls from one! but ocasionaly go down to "the big smoke" (glesca) (see Bothy for translation) Thanx for any comments and advice.,PS: Hope you are all keeping well !

if you like all in tyres -- please consider these ---Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S G012

they look better, on my opinion and for all road condition. regards / Igor

here?Hi DJ, The tyres i was looking at were 80/20 type and apparently road legal. what dose the "80/20" part mean? are they ok when braking cornering on normal roads? d'you think I should look at others.( I do think they'd look good on a rav!)

They're lent towards 80% off road and 20% on road.

I think I saw a quote of "also travels well on road", so you get the picture. As I said I think they look great, but I'd only have them either for the look or if I was doing serious off road stuff (which I don't!)

Dave

Wotsha Bazmin but.....

Unlike Dave, AH HUVNAE bothered to look up your suggested tyres, but anything that's recommended for 80% off road use will require industrial ear defenders in normal use mucker. Much as you live where "Deliverance" was filmed, you have some half decent tarmac roads, which don't require chocolate bar tread to get around.

Must agree with my big buddy in The Ukraine.......well treaded Geolanders (or Bridgestones) will suffice.

Big Kev

Hi,

I agree with Big Kev there on the 80/20 bit. They'll not not only very noisy but will do significant damage to your fuel economy (and I think chunky tread patterns tends to wear faster also, so likely to cost you more pence per mile in just basic tyre wear)

I am going to suggest another tyre to you for you RAV4.2 model, and that is the ever-popular General Grabber UHP tyre. Good value tyre and I found it great on both Motorways, ordinary country roads and some of the dirt tracks that pass for roads both in Devon and in Scotland.

I found the Bridgstones as fitted originally to the RAV4.2 nowhere near as good in comparison.

Agree with BK & Hoovie re noise & useage. Noise only becomes a real problem when you can't do anything about it & is probably the single most tiring thing to cope with in a car.

I've used Bridgestone Duelers for years & recently fitted a set of Cooper CS4's to our 3-dr, which are quiet but look quite chunky fitted. They have turned out to be really good on the noise front, at least on a par with the Contis I was going to buy and which are reckoned to be the best in terms of noise.

Don't be fooled by appearances however, most of the standard fitments (Duelers, Geolanders,Contis, etc) are more than adequate for anything this far from the Arctic.

Good luck.

Thankyou guys fur all yer comments, will take my time an' go through the price range! might also get the "chunky" ones later in the year if the wife isnae lookin'!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links