Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Repair Kits

cruiseonout

Hi All...new to the TOC and this is my first post so apologies if in wrong place. I have become the owner of an Urban Cruiser Its the AWD diesel which comes witha tyre repair kit rather thatn a spare wheel. Can anyone tell me mre about these. I understand that if I use it I have to replace the whole compressor at a cost of £76.30 PLUS VAT. Also the fluid has a shelf life so I need to replace it even if I don't use it. Sounds like a nice little earner for the dealer. does anyone know if the unit an be refilled. If not it looks as though I'll be buying an independent one or a can of tyre sealant should I need to. Also can the tyre be repaired if I use this stuff in it or is it a case of a new tyre.

Thanks

How do they work?

Lightweight kits featuring a sealing agent and compressor unit, allows you to repair standard punctures and continue driving for a limited distance.

The advantages are that repair kits can act as an alternative to a spare tyre, meaning more space in the boot and less weight in your vehicle.

Furthermore, they offer a quicker and easier way to get back on the road than replacing the tyre completely.

However, the repair will only be sufficient to let you travel a limited distance, and you will have to get the tyre replaced anyway.

Also, you'll be unable to repair any major damage to the tyre using one of these kits and they can be expensive considering that they only offer a temporary solution.

In other words get a spare wheel. In my experience these repair kits are a backward step in motoring terms and even when used correctly don't alaways make an effective get-you-homerepair.

It's the equivalent of saying "Oh dear you got a minor punture which is probably repairable for a few quid but if you use this kit it's gonna cost you a heck of a lot more for a new tyre - bend over sir and give me your wallet"

Thanks People. I have contacted Toyota GB re this and had a couple of very matter of fact replies which confirm that the tyre cannot be replaced, the kit needs to be replaced after use or by expiry date. They also say that I could of course buy a sparew heel for £147 plus vat, but that it may affect my fuel consumption. They have been polite but have skirted around responding to any of my crticisms or to comments re execessive cost of all this.

I understand that with the AWD Cruiser a spare wheel would take up too much boot space, (and yes it would affect fuel consumption).

Looks like I'll buy a can of Tyre Weld or similar that I can get for around £7.

It must be no surprise to car manufacturers that customers buy independent spares or kit even when they would prefer OEM.

You are spot on Jamesbelfast....it is really a case of "bend over sir"

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links