Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A Prius

rickers

My dad is looking at either a new corolla verso or a prius.

Can you share your thoughts with me what it is like owning a prius.

what don't you like?

bear in mind hes alone and 72.

thanks

rickers

Hate to say it but it's probably a good car for an older driver - the more gentle you are with it, the less fuel it uses. Also, the seats are quite high of the ground making it easy to get in and out.

It may seem like a complicated car but if you ignore all the gadgets and drive it, it is very simple being an auto.

If you want me to nit-pick then I'm strugling but here goes:

- Radio not brilliant but CD is.

- No permanently on cig lighter socket for my fridge

- Rear visibility - but you get used to it.

- Noisy engine if you floor it - so just don't floor it. Otherwise very quiet.

- In-cabin reversing beeper

- To get the MPG up you need to give it some good runs. It is only efficient once warm. If it willonly ever go a mile to church and back forget it.

All that said, I think it's brilliant!

I'm inclined to agree. The Prius will suit an older driver - well I'm late 50's myself and I love it!

If I had to choose one thing which I disliked, then it would be thr restricted visibility through the right hand side of the front windscreen caused by the thick pillar. I find it causes me some problems particualrly when turning right.

thanks guys

- Noisy engine if you floor it - so just don't floor it. Otherwise very quiet

is that in relation to another car or compares to the electric motor?

do they do reversing camera ? thought i read something about it?

in-cabin revering peeper: i got it i find it usefull actually :)

thanks again peeps

rickers

The engine is not really that noisy just sounds a little harsh when it revs high (I think 5,000 rpm is the top end). It's not helped by the fact that the car is so quiet even when using the engine.

SilverT4 has a point - the thick pillar can be tricky. I have a slight problem seeing the kerb on the left. You get used to looking through the little triangular window.

BTW, I'm late 40s but feel like late 50s having washed and polished the darned thing today :!Removed!:

Don't think they have a camera option but you can get a reversing sensor system.

was given the opportunity to drive one last weekend, very strange as there is no noise, when you set off, pulls well. but once youre used to it the specialty seems to wear off :( or is it because mmy car is rarer then a prius :ph34r:

it didn't stirr my soul to much, but then it's for my dad.

fuel ecomomy, wasn't brill either. sales guy jwas around 50/gallon, which compared to the other thread isn't that good. maybe he should buy the new corolla verso diesel instead and save himself a few grand. can you still get the grant?

rickers

Mine does around 50mpg. But it does it regardless of around town or motorway or touring in Devon. Quite a big car to get that kid of mileage from and the CO2 output is low.

Guess you pays your money and takes your choice....and afterall, I am getting on a bit :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links