Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pcv Valve

BigMo82

I have been advised by someone on another site that the smoke I am getting from my car may be down to the positive crankcase ventilation valve. Does anyone know where this is located and if its difficult to replace?

Thanks

Mo

i cleaned mine mo its on the top right hand side of engine looking into engine bay.(1.8vvti) T25. it has a hose that comes from that to the intake manifold.it was a 19mm deep socket i used.(will check to make sure) just take it out and clean with some carb cleaner and shake it to hear the ball bearing moving inside.if it dont move around in it you need a new 1...to replace just use some plumbers

tape (p.t.f.e tape) about 2 wraps is enough.or use some loctite thread lock.dont over tighten it!! then check for leaks...

• Like 1

Frankie thanks for the reply. I will try to clean the valve first to see if that ammends it. Any chance of a photo showing the exact location?

Mo

post-114983-0-51693300-1366413334.jpg thats the PCV valve coming from that hose! it goes down to the intake manifold..take off hose and undo the valve which is i think 19mm? clean with carb/intake cleaner shake until u hear the valve rattle it operates like a non-return valve.replace with PTFE tape or loctite and dont over tighten it. hope that helps mo!! :)

Thanks for the reply Frankie. The photo really helped, going to give it a go tomorrow. Also do you know if the egr valve easy to get to?

Mo

There isnt one on the petrol just the diesel has them.unless u have a turbo on your petrol 2.0vvti..goin back to ur post wat smoke is coming out of car??

I wasn't aware that the petrol didn't have a egr. I assumed it did as my old petrol Vauxhall astra had one.

I am getting smoke which starts about 30 - 45 seconds after start up. The smoke continues when the car is idling and even when driving. As the weather gets warmed the smoke becomes barely visible but like this morning when it's cold it's very obvious and definitely not the norm.

I have however had a full service, had the oxygen sensor replaced. I have no fault codes. No overheating what so ever. Coolant and oil haven't dropped at all in nearly 2000 miles, checked the coolant with a block test kit and the liquid in the tube didn't change colour at all. No mayo on the dip stick or oil cap. Oil is nice and clean as is the coolant.

Only problem is the smoke and slightly rough idle.

Mo

what colour is the smoke? also check the hose on pcv and clean if needed..have u cleaned throttle body too?

The smoke is whitish/bluish but not very thick. I have seen a few videos showing symptoms of stuck pcv valves and mine looks similar but not as bad as some.

I haven't cleaned the throttle body yet but on previous cars doing this has helped sort idling issues so I hope it will resolve the idle on this car. However on my previous cars the throttle bodies were cables and not electronic so I'm a little worried I may mess that up!

Mo

Frankie my engine is quite different to that. I have posted a few photos of mine with the engine cover off. Any ideas which pipe leads to the pcv and also the idle control valve?

Really appreciate your help with all this mate.

post-129758-0-93064800-1366543612_thumb.

post-129758-0-92575200-1366543745_thumb.

Ok update, found the pcv valve. Checked the hose and it was clean, took the valve out and gave it a shake and I could hear a clear rattle. I still used some carb cleaner and have reinstalled it. Will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if it has made any difference.

Mo

ya found the pcv ok then mo?.the idle control is on the throttle body along with the throttle position sensor.clean throttle body too mo..sorry for late reply.

Frankie no need to apologise mate I am thankful for your help and advice. I will try the throttle body tomorrow. Is it difficult to remove? Or is it best to clean it while still fitted?

Mo

not too sure if its easy to get at on your 2.0 vvti. mines was easy four bolts and two clips for electrics for sensors undid them cleaned the TB front and back and the port for the idle control.shouldnt be too hard mate.it might idle high for a bit (other posts on this) mine did the same but i cleared the throttle position sensor on it too and think this reset done it back to 700RPM..key in engine off turn key but dont start count till 10sec turn off do this 3 times should work.

• 8 years later...
On 4/21/2013 at 7:47 PM, BigMo82 said:

Ok update, found the pcv valve. Checked the hose and it was clean, took the valve out and gave it a shake and I could hear a clear rattle. I still used some carb cleaner and have reinstalled it. Will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if it has made any difference.

Mo

Hi mate. 

Where is located the pcv valve? 

I have the same engine 2.0 vvti direct injection. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, Socrate Tudor said:

Hi mate. 

Where is located the pcv valve? 

I have the same engine 2.0 vvti direct injection. 

Thank you

Have not seen BigMo82 in a while, but the PCV is located on the back of the cam cover, near the timing chain side. Here is a diagram - http://www.japan-parts.eu/EU/3/120271B.png

There is a video - 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links