Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Verso 2007 Engine Problems

jwillett

I’ve had the car since 2007 and had the EGR valve modification
fitted, and engine rebuilt. But in the last couple of months I’ve experienced the
diesel engine seeming to “misfire” when at speed 60 to 70 mph very
occasionally. On a trip to Europe in April with the car full and traveling on
motorways with steeper hills the “misfire” issue become more prevalent. It occurred
when on motorway inclines traveling at the above speeds when the engine starting
violently vibrating (like a cylinder misfire). The only way to cure was to
change down gear and crawl up the hills more slowly; otherwise the engine would
have carried on shaking and vibrating. It seems to load induced with the car
heavier and climbing.

It has done it intermittently in the UK and have taken local
Toyota dealer out, but I cannot replicate when they are in it.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing or any ideas?

Having had the engine problems I’m concerned that this will
get worse and with car strictly out of warranty could have a difficult
discussion.

If you haven`t already done so have a read through the Rav4 section of the forum discussing the 2.2d problems and see if you can draw any comparisons.

My advice would be to take it to Toyota and try for repairs under warranty... what ya got to lose ?

Thanks, I've had a look and cannot see a similar issue. I've taken the vehicle to local toyota dealer who have serviced the vehicle during my ownership, but we have been unable to duplicate situation. I've now ordered an bluetooth ELM 327 so I may run during a longer trip to get some data to return to toyota. Any thoughts to what data I should be recording i.e. fuel pressure, which sensors?

• 1 month later...

Sorry no answer but you are describing exactly a problem that started with my 2008 T spirit 2.2d verso in May this year, and I am having exactly the same issue in replicating it. Interestingly it first happened in France up a hill at 60ish 2000revs, the local Toyota ran a diagnostics check with no results and changed the fuel filter. On return to the UK my dealer who has always serviced this car from new cleaned various bits but lo and behold on the next long run up a hill the same juddering and having to change down to get it going again and yes it is very intermittent. Due to return to the garage tomorrow and will point out your post. If you get to the bottom of it I'd love to know and any ideas welcomed.

Sorry no answer but you are describing exactly a problem that started with my 2008 T spirit 2.2d verso in May this year, and I am having exactly the same issue in replicating it. Interestingly it first happened in France up a hill at 60ish 2000revs, the local Toyota ran a diagnostics check with no results and changed the fuel filter. On return to the UK my dealer who has always serviced this car from new cleaned various bits but lo and behold on the next long run up a hill the same juddering and having to change down to get it going again and yes it is very intermittent. Due to return to the garage tomorrow and will point out your post. If you get to the bottom of it I'd love to know and any ideas welcomed.

I have manged to duplicate the problem with a Toyota technician in the car with his laptop plugged into the car. This stuttering is like running out of fuel. Toyota are starting by investigating the fuel pump.

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Alex

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Alex

Alex, thanks for your question.The fuel filter was changed by the dealer after my first visit. Unfortunatly without resolving the problem.

As was mine, my dealership are now taking the car in for a few days next week, I have passed on the information regarding the fuel pump so thanks for the response.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links