Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Crank Pulley.

achray

Not that many German Car Manufacturers prepared to give a 5 or 7 year Manufacturers Warranty.

(They will sell you an extra year or 2.)

Or even Makers that are part of German Car Groups, like VAG.

Maybe why some Far Eastern Car Manufacturers try to get out of the Take Overs that the German Companies did in the past.

An example being Suzuki & VAG.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15867168

'If only everything in life was as reliable as a Golf',

Only they are not, but the Advertising is good.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/62383/german-cars-among-worst-engine-failures

Volkswagen reputation in Australia, China,Japan etc is really bad now because of various failures,

like DSG boxes, which they have been made to recall, modify and extend warranties on of 100,000 miles.

The Engines, Gearboxes and even the vehicles might well be Built in the Far East, Asia etc plants,

But surely thats German Engineering and Production, and specifications.

Lots of German Engines/Vehicles are now built in South America and elsewhere around the world,

Central and Eastern Europe but not Germany.

Maybe they get better Quality Control from there as well as cheep labour costs.

I like the reliability and engineering quality from my Suzuki's that are built in Hungary

& my Skoda from CZ, but many are sadly let down by the parts shared with VW & Audi..

george

• Like 1

We have a VW Bora and it has been one of the most troublesome cars we have owned. Admittedly it has never broken down whilst driving, but it has had to have constant repairs. Throttle bodies, catalytic convertors, air con pumps and various electrical and fuel failures.

• Like 1

I have owned a few VW's in the past all very old ones, Old VW Beetle's, Old Golf's, both of which ran almost forever and never ever went wrong or broke down, Perhaps I was just lucky ?

Based on some of the above posts, perhaps I can admit that I am now "living in the past", when German Engineering was truly good Quality and also very reliable German Engineering in my view, now it seems that todays cars all all becoming the same in terms of:

1) Produced all over the world

2) Engineering and quality standards are not what they used to be ?

3) Good Old fashioned High Quality German engineering is perhaps now not what it used to be ?

After my "IQ experience" has expired in a few years I might just revert to good old fashioned engineering and buy a old "classic car", probably a old Merc, with no computer, and almost bullet proof engineering, rebuild it myself back to "as new" or better than "as new" and drop completly out the "rat race" related to this subject debate.

As I only cover about 5000miles a year this could well be my best and most suitable option.

This will leave you all to continue to struggle with todays "Rat Race"and manufacturers that are starting to become all the same as each other.

In the meantime, until then I guess the debates we all have will continue on this forum and many other places !

Lastly I do enjoy reading all the various views that forum members have and reading about their experiences, that sometimes are vastly differ from each other.

Positive Regards,

Bob.

• Like 1

Sorry OT again,

but this is going to cost a major manufacturing group rather a lot of dosh.

Their reputation is suffering rather badly at present.

(these recalls are not for Europe but there are articles in the likes of Autocar, saying that some of these Gearboxes are built in Europe and the same as in UK models.)

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/audi-follows-volkswagen-recall-20130612-2o3o5.html

Car has been back on the road for 1 week now no issues. New Toyota belts crank oil seal & crank bolt, cost £40 ish. Local garage fitted free in 30 mins. No joking & they also used tread lock unlike Toyota. The local Toyota garage quoted £550 including a new pulley. Do you ever think they are ripping us off.

Again we're not getting the complete story here. You imply you've had the repair done for around £40, but in one of your earlier posts you said you had bought a replacement crank pulley from a breakers for £50 - which puts the repair cost up to around £90. I also suspect that a Toyota dealer hasn't actually seen the car since it was recovered, so has been unable to determine exactly what work was required. They have probably had to quote on a worst case scenario basis - hence the £550.

Wish you every success in swapping your IQ for an Audi.

The bottom line of this post remains the same, Crank Pulley should not fall off, as it seems to have happened on more than "one" IQ it will probably happen to some others.

There is rarely such a problem as a "one off"

It seems that "Root Cause" is still unknown.

The full story is the services where all carried out by a reputable vat registered garage, who also service our jeep wrangler, land rover defender, audi tt, & 1972 mgb roadster. I have used them for about 30 yrs. There is no legal requirement to use a toyota agent for servising (@ double the hourly rates) to remain in manufacturers warranty. The toyota garage have confirmed that if they had serviced the car they would not have checked the pully bolt & the belts are not checked untill 60,000 miles, so this would still have occured. They have been helpfull but toyot gb are a total waste of time, infact the girl i spoke to verged on being rude. I have ordered new belts, crank bolt, oil seal & woodruff key & have found a 2011 pully @ a breakers for £50.The local garage who service our vehicles are fitting for them FREE (take note toyota). I will be selling the car as soon as it is repaired & replacing with an audi (who i know give superb customer care)

I have only owned one Audi a new (year 2008 i think) ? A4 it was a superb car very well engineered in my view and was 100% trouble free for me. Just my view.

The bottom line of this post remains the same, Crank Pulley should not fall off, as it seems to have happened on more than "one" IQ it will probably happen to some others.

I thought there had only been one report of a pulley actually coming off, the OP of this thread, and one or two premature worn belts. It doesn't sound like common problem to me.

I would have thought there could be plenty of scope for 'one off' problems?

I thought there had only been one report of a pulley actually coming off, the OP of this thread, and one or two premature worn belts. It doesn't sound like common problem to me.

I would have thought there could be plenty of scope for 'one off' problems?

Post No 5 on page 1 of this thread eludes to another "similar" or "same" problem ? Perhaps I misread it ?

This thread was about a 'Crank bolt sheared',

very different from 'Came Loose', no Thread Lock used etc.

'Sheared' is often because of 'over tightened', but not always obviously.

sometimes its when something seizes.

Post #11 covers the differences very well.

Post #5 does say "i had similar'. But was that similar as in 'sheared' or was it similar but 'came loose and off'.

I think Toyota should be offered the 'sheared parts' to have checked out,

to see the cause and if Fatigue/stress or similar.

george

The Honest John website is usually pretty good at highlighting problem areas. This afternoon I have checked the 'What's bad' section of the reviews for the Aygo, IQ, Yaris (2011-present), and Yaris (2006-2011) - all of which use the same 1 litre engine.
There is no mention of either crank pulleys coming off or crankshaft bolts coming loose or shearing.

There are currently around 14,500 IQ's (1 litre models) registered in the UK - even if the 2 cases highlighted in this topic were down to a manufacturing fault (and there is no evidence to suggest this) these represent a percentage of 0.013% of IQ's in the UK with this reported problem.

The percentage gets even smaller when one considers the Aygo, Yaris, Peugeot 107, Citroen C1, Daihatsu Sirion, and Perodua Myvi have all used the same engine.

The Honest John website is usually pretty good at highlighting problem areas. This afternoon I have checked the 'What's bad' section of the reviews for the Aygo, IQ, Yaris (2011-present), and Yaris (2006-2011) - all of which use the same 1 litre engine.

There is no mention of either crank pulleys coming off or crankshaft bolts coming loose or shearing.

There are currently around 14,500 IQ's (1 litre models) registered in the UK - even if the 2 cases highlighted in this topic were down to a manufacturing fault (and there is no evidence to suggest this) these represent a percentage of 0.013% of IQ's in the UK with this reported problem.

The percentage gets even smaller when one considers the Aygo, Yaris, Peugeot 107, Citroen C1, Daihatsu Sirion, and Perodua Myvi have all used the same engine.

Hi Mike, Now I'm starting to feel better, and perhaps the risk of my crank pulley coming off is almost zero, thanks to you for sharing your info, Positive Regards Bob.

I think that Mike as a staff moderator of this forum, does a great job of putting sense into some of the threads when we (including me) go "off on one" about a paticular issue and get worried that our little IQ's could also be effected by a specific problem.

My thanks to Mike for keeping us in line (including me) and providing some "facts" to get closer to the real issues.

Positive Regards,

Bob.

Frostyballs you are wrong the iq was @ a the supplying dealership for no less than 4 days. They actually removed the threaded part of the retaining bolt from inside the crank. It had sheared off. They also returned the woodruff key to me which was found lodged under the engine. You are correct in pointing out the Toyota parts cost £40 + £50 for a pulley from a breakers a total of £90. The dealership DID quote £550 for repairs. I doubt a new pulley + fitting is £510? By the way a new woodruff key could not be obtained as they where on back order? Strange eh!

Not disputing the dealer's quote, it was your implied cost of repair I disputed.

Further to my comments of yesterday, do a 'Google' search for any combination of 'Toyota IQ crank bolt problems' or Toyota IQ crank pulley failure' - all you get relating to the IQ are posts from this TOC topic.

The fact that a part is on back order doesn't mean that parts are in high demand - could be the reverse.

For example, when we had a Mazda 2 and the coil pack/HT lead needed replacing under warranty, Mazda had the HT lead on back-order for 10 weeks due to little demand for that particular part.

As the car was built by Ford at the Fiesta/Fusion plant in Valencia, I insisted that Mazda UK order and fit the equivalent Ford HT lead - done the next day.

. The dealership DID quote £550 for repairs. I doubt a new pulley + fitting is £510? By the way a new woodruff key could not be obtained as they where on back order? Strange eh!

I can see it easily coming to that. The parts are just shy of £300 and a couple of hours labour faffing around, the VAT, it all adds up very quickly

You cannot draw any conclusions about the woodruff key being out of stock. No demand, no stock

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links