Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do I Repair A Radiator Leak- Avensis 1999

Super Tyke

I have a tiny hole at the top of the radiator, on the engine side, a few inches from the radiator cap. When hot water is released from the engine block to the radiator a fine spray comes out under pressure. The top of the radiator does not look to be metal but I am not convinced it is plastic either. What material can I use to repair the hole? I already have Radweld in the coolant.

Regards

only 'fix' is to replace it ... radweld is only a temp bodge to get you home ... some products like 'bars' have some benefit (lubricant properties for the pump, essential for my old Renault.. but IMO not needed in a Toyota.

I had similar problem with my bike on a track day. A stone punctured a pipe in the radiator. I ran a self tapping screw part way in, removed it, mixed up and applied some JB Cold Weld in a small blob then ran the screw back in. Its still there several years and many many miles later and its never leaked. Never.

If you can afford to replace the radiator that is the best engineering solution. If you can't afford it then you may not need to replace it but you will need to keep an eye on the repair until you are confident that its holding.

£400 plus for a radiator for my bike. It was a no-brainer. Car radiators are much cheaper though.

Use K-Seal best on the market only £10 . The. Best way to do it is to take off the top hose and pour it down the hose the whole bottle that is .replace the top hose run for five mins; then top up with toyota long life coolant . Then check again when cold. The level that is.

for cheaper alternative, apparently egg whites does the same as radweld never tried it myself

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the varied advice on fixing my radiator leak. I tried two different sealants that were supposed to withstand heat and pressure, as well as being suitable for plastics, byut they both failed. I decided to cut my losses and bought a second hand radiator on eBay. Now fitted and seems to be dry. There are no apparent leaks but I had to fill the expansion tank up this morning after only a ten mile run. Possibly due to an air-lock from the fitting but if it continues I will buy some Radweld.

IMO. using a good quality coolant is the main thing. However, if you do feel the need for an additive, I'd lean towards BARS ... it includes some lubricating properties, which might help the watrerpump....

Personally, I've only ever felt the need to use the stuff when driving a french car many years ago... (hence why I drive Japanese now!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links