Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Engine Story

Big Kev

That should have said crossed wire !! Blooming phones !!

That should have said crossed wire !! Blooming phones !!

No problem! Sometimes threads get a bit long and weildy and I will reply to something said earlier on and it makes no sense at all when I read it :lol:

so are pre september 07 engines not stripped for inspection merely oil/coolant checks after test mileage ?

so are pre september 07 engines not stripped for inspection merely oil/coolant checks after test mileage ?

Please see Devon's post number 88

thanks.... yes thread got a little long struggling finding previous info on mobile.

Here is what you are looking for..

From Devon Aygos post

If however your car was built after September 2007 then Toyota do not recognize head gasket failure as being covered under the warranty extension, unless it can be shown that the head gasket failed due to "carbon stamping" ( caused by excessive oil consumption ) to confirm his your dealer would have to either confirm oil consumption by making a judgement call as to whether your head gasket issue can last another 621 miles and doing a consumption test or if the engine is unlikely to last that long informing you that the be engine will have to be stripped for inspection of the pistons to confirm carbon build up, if this is the case you will have to be aware that diagnosis and future repair costs will down to you if carbon stamping is not found as any other cause is not covered by the warranty.
Though I have to say this is news to me.. I thought if a diagnosis was made at the dealership then that was that..
So now engines may be opened up ???

Update - dealership didn't have a courtesy car today so we are without a car now. The very basic standards of customer service have failed miserably. So now we are reliant on lifts to work and can't even pick our children up from the inlaws - yes lots of favours to call but this is so wrong. The more I think of this if the engine was going to fail it would have done it sooner. I suspect at this time, though I have no evidence that the problem occurred at that point, that the insertion of the new injectors has contributed to failure of the engine. Toyota agab not been in touch yet and will be moving vehicle another dealership, this one will not be getting anymore cash from me!

Feeling your pain mate... Toyota agab? Not sure what this means ? Been one of those days..

Hope you get this sorted soon....

Typo Toyota GB Plc that was meant to mean - long day!!!

thanks.... yes thread got a little long struggling finding previous info on mobile.

Read your pm's Neil.

You tend to need to book cars about a week in advance to be assured of getting one.

I sincerely hope you get somewhere with all this but try and avoid losing patience, keep your chin up and expect the worst. Anything better is a bonus. I am very pleased that Charlie has spoken to you as he knows the ropes and how far they can be pulled.

You tend to need to book cars about a week in advance to be assured of getting one.

I sincerely hope you get somewhere with all this but try and avoid losing patience, keep your chin up and expect the worst. Anything better is a bonus. I am very pleased that Charlie has spoken to you as he knows the ropes and how far they can be pulled.

I have 2 cars booked in and asked 8 days before for a courtesy car and none available!

David

Courtesy cars aren't a right, they are a courtesy. If I want to have a courtesy car I will ring a couple of weeks in front of my appointment and ask when a car is available, then book my appointment to fit the courtesy car.

I have on occasions been offered them in less than a week when I have reported something out of the blue. At any one day they must have 20-30 cars in RRG at Macc and they are a little dealership. You can't expect them to have the same number of cars lay about to loan out.

When my last RAV went in for 'things' (bit more frequent then expected), I used to get a Hi-Lux double-cab loaner :) worth seeing about those 'outside the box' loaners as most customers would not want one ;)

So now engines may be opened up ???

Only in that specific head gasket situation Charlie

The current gudline bulletin is some 80 odd pages long. You dealer has to go through a SPECIFIC SET PROCEDURE to ensure that if a claim is to be made, that he has all the correct information to hand, if anything is missed or done out of sync, the dealer risks having the claim rejected and all the costs will have to be borne by the dealer. You can understand that they don't want that happening too often!

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks all. Well still no news from the Toyota central network as yet. The emotions have settled though frustrated as hell over this. However I am now clear in focus thanks to the abundance of advice on here and from other places. I have no doubt that my comments and original précis of events have been viewed by Toyota GB this after all is a rare event and they must be thinking as well why this has happened to what is essentially a lovely vehicle? I have been reminded numerous times about the age of my car during this process. It's quite funny really as when I enquired about part chopping it against the new Rav4 which I like - a lot - I was told my Rav was a vehicle of low mileage and reasonable age. I have been asked by some Rav owners online and by a couple of neighbours who are naturally concerned, however nobody knows really what the cause is until the engine failure is forensically investigated, which may never happen as its for me to pay for, bearing in mind they probably advise for a reman engine, and tbh that's what I would want to ensure some more years of safe driving. It's amazing how we take our vehicles for granted, it was very strange today relying on others for lifts to work and for people I supervise giving the boss a lift home:).

My summation on this one is that on one hand we have a person who one the evidence provided has been maybe let down by the dealer.. We do of course have only Simons summary of this so we should not condemn out if hand..

On the other hand we have Toyota who lets be fair about this have been outstanding in extending the warranty to seven years !! We also have to accept Toyota are a business and cannot warrant indefinstely ..

In this case it seems and I repeat we have what we ate told that the Dealer may have missed the cause of the problem so without malice deprived the OP of getting his car sorted once and for all back in December last year..

All we can hope for is that Toyota may take the view that perhaps the engine should have been replaced in December and will treat this as a retrospective claim ... OR that the charge to fix this car can be made minimal by providing an Optifit engine and parts at cost and the labour charges again be kept to a minimum....

sold the rav today, good bye toyota. Take care all, over and out.

Keep in touch saggy.

All the best with your new motor what ever it may be!

See Ya Saggyknackers ....................................

Toyota agree with this if proven..... Yes it's more than 7 years old now but if the problem stems from before then, then that's the date that's important - cause and effect, lets face engines with 50k miles don't spontaneously blow!

All those with the same car as I have - do you have extended warranties???? Does this process make you think maybe you should or do you still have faith in the brand????

If I get a reman engine which I pay for i am likely to sell on, take the financial hit and lease from this point on, probably a Volvo....ironically the financial hit would buy me another 2006 Rav4 with av mileage - sickening!!!!!!

Depeding on your disposition, an option for you could then be to buy another car and sell the existing one in parts or for someone else to fix.

Toyota agree with this if proven..... Yes it's more than 7 years old now but if the problem stems from before then, then that's the date that's important - cause and effect, lets face engines with 50k miles don't spontaneously blow!

All those with the same car as I have - do you have extended warranties???? Does this process make you think maybe you should or do you still have faith in the brand????

If I get a reman engine which I pay for i am likely to sell on, take the financial hit and lease from this point on, probably a Volvo....ironically the financial hit would buy me another 2006 Rav4 with av mileage - sickening!!!!!!

Depeding on your disposition, an option for you could then be to buy another car and sell the existing one in parts or for someone else to fix.

Unfortunately the OP has spelled out his position is not so great.. To sell a car like this would mean selling for very little as the residuals of these cars must not be brilliant......

Parting out is quite an undertaking I think....

I am no different to most in the UK who can't afford to take a £7k hit from a most unexpected source. If I was plush I would still see this through as its a matter of principle. Between the initial purchase from new and services, repairs I have invested £28k in that vehicle over the years - it owes me so I am not simply going to walk away. The vehicle is in far better hands now so let's see what the next couple of weeks bring?

Would a company like warranty direct look at the Rav4, more importantly, would they pay out if bang bang occurred? .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links