Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid Excel Space For Spare Wheel?

Bazbell

I got the kit for the space saver today from the dealer. Just took the kit home didn`t think I would need help. However when I tried to fit it I found that I could not align the central hole in the wheel with the bracket attache to the cars bodywork. I can manipulate one of the holes that the wheel bolts fit in so that the supplied spindle can be rotated to secure the wheel to the cars bracket. Is this correct or should the spindle fit in the central hole of the wheel? I don`t seem to be able to manipulate the wheel in anyway to get the wheel aligned to the bracket.

Also i have 4 rubber blocks. Where are these blocks stuck to? Are they for the wheel or to prevent the floor from buckling at the edges.

I know I can take the thing back to dealer for help but off in morning for holidays and would like to fix wheel securely before i set off.

On my Auris (2012 first generation) the spindle has a large plastic spacer which, when the spindle is screwed down, fits against the edges of the hole.

I have had cars though where the spindle secures the wheel using one of the wheel bolt holes, rather than the centre hole.

Thanks Frosty. It does work with the spindle through a bolt hole, however the shaped spindle does seem designed for the central hole. Maybe in other cars the same spindle works and they have just used a part they have already sourced to do a similar job (as they didn`t design the car to have a space saver!!!)

My first feeling about the blocks is to attach them to the side of the boot to provide support to the edge of the shelf which does not sit flush as the space saver pushes it up. However don`t want to stick these into position (they are ready glued) until I am confident that I am correct. Just wonder why a diagram was not included or information with the kit.

Maybe Mr T been caught with his trousers down and rushed out a quick fix to keep angry customers quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

From a topic in the Auris forum the four rubber blocks fit in the wheel well in North, East, South and West positions - to stop wheel movement.

I bought the kit that my Toy dealer recommended which included the 4 rubber blocks. I have been back to the Toy dealer and asked if the space saver should be able to be screwed in with the supplied fitting to the factory fitted connection through the central hole of the space saver, as I could only do it through one of the wheel bolt holes and then the space saver would not fit in flat.

On going out to look at the car the parts guy tried to fit it and had the same problem as me it appears that I need a new panel at the rear of the boot which has a curve section which will then allow the space saver to sit flat in the recess, I have ordered this (more expense) and will report back when if it turns up. If I had known this before it would have been obvious where the rubber bungs go.

Just wish that Toyota had offered the car in the first place with an option with a space saver or with gunge. However suppose if they had done that then they would have had to publish official mpg figures when a SS was included and they would not be able to publish a high figure for publicity.

When space savers were first used by manufacturers I always said I would never buy a car with one. Now I`m desperate to get one into a new cars boot and paying for the privilege. Not all progress seems to be good.

I will be very interested to hear how you get on with fitting the spare wheel flat in your boot. I was told yesterday by my Toyota dealer that I would not be able to fit a spare in mine without causing the boot floor to be unstable as the wheel would only fit in at an angle.

Once you get your wheel fitted properly, would you mind commenting on the fit (is it flat or angled) and whether you lose boot space out if it affects the fitting of the boot floor (split level bit).

And also to be extra cheeky, could you list every part & number that you have had to buy so that I and others can go to our dealers armed with the right info?

Many thanks!

I will certainly post the part number if I get the panel.

However, I am starting to wonder if the guy in the parts department who told me there was a rear panel with a curved section actually was correct. Part was suppose to be delivered last Thursday, when I phoned he said he had been promised it would be in on Friday. When I went in on Friday, it still had not appeared and he said he would phone me today but no call. Hoping its just the holidays that is holding things up ,not thats its a figment of his imagination.

Hi

I think we are at cross purposes, some are talking about a spare wheel and others about space saver spare. The space saver being of thinner cross section fits in the well without disturbing the lower split level floor. The part numbers required are shown on a previous e-mail and those were the ones I ordered, although the Cover Deck Trim was not required,

.T64778-02040 Protector, Spar 4 in no £2.44 + VAT each

T09120-02130 Bag, Tool £3.06 + VAT

T51931-02020 Carrier, S/Wheel £1.53 + VAT

T64716-02130-C0 Cover, Deck Tri £9.16 + VAT

T42600-05810 Wheel Assy £66.90 + VAT

Hope this helps

Ok, apologies, my first couple of cars had proper full size spares, then my last only had a space saver, but it was still a spare to me.

I would quite happily class a round of cheese as a spare wheel and trust it on my car before I use the gunge.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your space saver spare was bought for the estate version of the Auris, while this may share the same chassis as the hatchback, I don't know if the actual boot trim is the same, so before I Shell out for a spare, I need to know if it will fit properly in the hatchback without ruining the boot floor.

I'm just anal and want the best of both worlds!

Hi Colin

You are correct, my car is the Tourer Sports so I am sorry I cannot help you with the hatchback.

Well I have the space saver and yes it can fit into the well but if I get it flat in the well the bracket that connects the wheel through the centre of the space saver does not align with the tyre, also the lower split floor is sitting on top of the tyre. By having a curved panel I am hoping that the space saver will align with the bracket and hopefully sit lower so the lower split floor will be in its normal position ie resting on the ledges at the side of the boot rather than sitting on top of the space saver. This assumes that the toyota parts guy is correct that there is a curved rear panel for the Auris.

Here's hoping! If it can be done properly then I'll be happy to buy the kit.

If you do buy the kit Ace be careful as it does include another jack. So might be better to buy the parts separately rather than just the kit.

• 1 year later...

I just got the bits to fit a spare in my Auris Excel (non hybrid) and am also wondering about the correct positioning for the four rubber blocks?

Anyone got a picture of them factory fitted?

It also seems to me the weight gain of having the space saver tyre versus the repair kit must be pretty nominal so why don't they just fit the spare?

EDIT: Found the answer

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/165118-spacesaver-spare-wheel-kits/#entry1368299

Given the owners' manual shows the three options - repair kit, space-saver, and full-size wheel - which are available for different markets, surely it would be a simple matter to offer the alternatives as options. If other manufacturers can do it, it shouldn't be beyond the capability of Toyota

Given the owners' manual shows the three options - repair kit, space-saver, and full-size wheel - which are available for different markets, surely it would be a simple matter to offer the alternatives as options. If other manufacturers can do it, it shouldn't be beyond the capability of Toyota

The space saver is offered as an option on all UK spec Auris however:

The Auris Hyrid hatch looses the lower boot space in order to fit the space saver, it fits without issue on all other models

All models would require a raised boot floor to fit a full sized wheel, costing a lot to fit as an accessory part & sacrificing boot space which no one wants.

it shouldn't be beyond the capability of Toyota

You would think so but, we have the bonkers situation (but it is getting better) that Toyota options available in other EU countries (like choice of wheel size) are not available in the UK.

I accept there is the problem of LHD and RHD vehicles, but options which are universal (like spare wheels) are somehow 'banned' for the UK.

Someone here quoted parts numbers for changing the underfloor trays in a Gen 3 Prius to accommodate a full sized spare wheel.

My dealer looked up the prices for me, and it was nearly £400 plus I'd have to throw away the existing trays, then buy a full size spare wheel and tyre - the whole lot would be nearly £800, and I'd have an unwanted space saver too.

At least if the space saver had been optional, I might be able to sell the old trays and wheel.

I agree with the previous sentiment; how hard could it possibly be (arrgh! I sound like Jeremy C!) to make it all optional, given nothing's even screwed in???

Therein lies the problem with Toyota at the moment I think, the lack of offering customers the right to choose. This is without a doubt in my opinion the area where they fall down the most. They have reliability off to a fine art. Drivability, well they are working on that. But when it comes to extras and choice including the basic requirement of a spare wheel not to mention price, they have a really odd approach, a sort of "you will have what we decide you can have and nothing more" which is fine until other manufacturers say otherwise and decide to exploit that weakness.

I don't see it matters to you now that you've chosen a Seat as your next vehicle. Skoda (a more successful part of VAG) made the spare wheel a cost option on some of their cars years ago. So In that respect VAG cars are no different to Toyota currently.

I commented because its a striking example of Toyota charging an extortionate amount of money for an option. This coupled with the lack of choice to UK customers was the a major driving force behind my decision to go elsewhere for my next vehicle. Choice and high cost is what is being discussed and my opinion is just as valid as anybody else's.

When we've changed vehicle (17 new cars bought and counting) and decided to change manufacturer for whatever reason (whether it is because the previous manufacturer is no longer able to provide what we want from a vehicle, or another reason), we draw a line under the experience and move on.
The subject of the thread isn't choice and high cost, but whether the Auris hybrid Excel has space for a spare wheel - as per the title of the topic.

Just for the record - the "compact spare" has just been fitted to my Auris HSD, after a delay of a month, and whilst the lower cover doesn't fit perfectly, they've wedged it under a support bracket and the lower boot space is approx. 90% useable. So I'm reasonably satisfied.

Further to the above - photos:

The wheel:

5i2ioFs.jpg

Lower boot space:

lcv3kDM.jpg

Upper boot:

OAh0Fla.jpg

Shouldn't the wheel be the other way up with the jack sat in the middle ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links