Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glowplugs ?

CharlieFarlie

A very simple test on a cold engine is that they will feel warm after the light goes out but be careful as the could be at the hot end of warm!

I don't think they have been in long enough to cause you a problem undoing them so I've created a little pdf from the manual that shows how to test them and the torques for putting them back.

However, I'm not entirely convinced that they are the cause of your problem from what you describe. I think I would change the fuel filter first then if it is still cranking slowly, it could be the starter. There have been several occasions on this forum where owners have found they tend to crank slowly after some age and mileage. I wouldn't bother too much if a replacement SR is on the horizon.

Glow plugs.pdf

Useful to know the correct torque Don..bet it's no more than about 10Nm?

Useful to know the correct torque Don..bet it's no more than about 10Nm?

You're way out - 12.3Nm!!!

• Like 1

Don.. Fuel filter was done end of last summer but I have no problem dropping in another if you think its worth it ? Cant do any harm...

I connected the optimate charger / tender last night and at 6.30 this morning both green lights were lit indicating the Battery is fully charged.. The optimate would take several days to charge a Battery if it was even remotely low so I think that rules the Battery and charging gear out..

Would the glow plugs have been replaced with the engine ? I cant remember and as said above its right royal game getting to the paperwork which is as yet still unpacked and up in the loft..

SR is on the cards for sure. I check Autotrader on a weekly basis .. So will just carry on as normal..

Thanks all !!

Oh and thanks for the PDF !

I doubt the glow plugs will have been renewed but they will have been swapped into the new head.

post-129791-0-94273000-1378741764_thumb.

This is what a snapped glow plug looks like.

There were actually 2 snapped.

Torqued the new ones up to 10Nm to be on the safe side.

Start up greatly improved. Happy days.

• Like 2

Ouch!... What a pain to try and get out!!! Glad you've managed to extract them though. Were they stuck in the head because of carbon build up?... Or because they didn't have some copper ease on them the last time they were changed you think? :bookworm:

Ouch!... What a pain to try and get out!!! Glad you've managed to extract them though. Were they stuck in the head because of carbon build up?... Or because they didn't have some copper ease on them the last time they were changed you think? :bookworm:

Yes guys They were badly carbonned up.

If you zoom in on the pic it's clear to see.

Plus I didn't heat the engine up before trying to get them out.

Top man Steve of Extract Enginnering got them out.

Definitely not a DIY job.

It takes some nerve to drill into your cylinder head,knowing the dire consequences of swarthe dropping down.

But he removed 2 plugs in around 45mins..very impressed.

Copper greased the new ones and tightened to 10 Nm.

Well done Stevo for getting them out! :thumbsup::yes:

Yes he's got a good little business just extracting snapped glow plugs for numpties like me ha.
  • Like 1

Don.. Fuel filter was done end of last summer but I have no problem dropping in another if you think its worth it ? Cant do any harm...

I connected the optimate charger / tender last night and at 6.30 this morning both green lights were lit indicating the battery is fully charged.. The optimate would take several days to charge a battery if it was even remotely low so I think that rules the battery and charging gear out..

Would the glow plugs have been replaced with the engine ? I cant remember and as said above its right royal game getting to the paperwork which is as yet still unpacked and up in the loft..

SR is on the cards for sure. I check Autotrader on a weekly basis .. So will just carry on as normal..

Thanks all !!

Oh and thanks for the PDF !

glow plugs are only replaced if then cannot be removed from original engine so if yours came out easy then they will be original

Alex

Checked my glow plugs to day all wrking fine , removed them engine cold no problem , cleaned the small amount of carbon on them and refited with copper grease , job done , thay look the same as the old 2.2 d4d ! and the part no. is very close ? Job done 20 min

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links