Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glowplugs ?

CharlieFarlie

Noticed a couple of times just lately the engine seems just that bit reluctant to turn over/start... It may just be me but this morning after quite a temperature drop it seemed... Well slow... Started just fine but slow if that makes any sense ?

So could it be those glow plug things ? Am I right in that they are spread across the cylinder bank in clear view connected by the ally rod wire affair ?

Car is just over 7 years now and has 76K miles so is it time to replace as a matter of course ? Is it a dealer job or an easy DIY prospect ? And how much do they cost ?

The Battery is only a couple of years old if that and is a huge Bosch one as big as I could fit so not suspecting that.. I will charge it up just to make sure though !

Cheers...

• Like 1

Correct Chas,they are in clear view across the CH.

Very easy DIY job to remove,IN THEORY?

One word of warning though,make sure the engine is up to max working temp before trying to remove them,and if you can't loosen them using 'reasonable' force then leave it to a garage.

I found to my cost that the plug threads can become carbon bonded to the head,and easily snap if excess force is used,leaving you 3/4 of the thread left in the cylinder head..but providing the core is still intact they will still work,and in my case have been for 4 months.

Mr T said it was a cylinder head removal job to remove,but I found Extract Engineering on google who said they could remove it in-situ.

Coincidentally I'm having the job done this Monday..

I have my new glow plugs ready and waiting.

I'll post up the results.

FRI I'm using bilstein blue print plugs ADT 31821 at £22 each,so not cheap.

• Like 1

Correct Chas,they are in clear view across the CH.

Very easy DIY job to remove,IN THEORY?

One word of warning though,make sure the engine is up to max working temp before trying to remove them,and if you can't loosen them using 'reasonable' force then leave it to a garage.

I found to my cost that the plug threads can become carbon bonded to the head,and easily snap if excess force is used,leaving you 3/4 of the thread left in the cylinder head..but providing the core is still intact they will still work,and in my case have been for 4 months.

Mr T said it was a cylinder head removal job to remove,but I found Extract Engineering on google who said they could remove it in-situ.

Coincidentally I'm having the job done this Monday..

I have my new glow plugs ready and waiting.

I'll post up the results.

FRI I'm using bilstein blue print plugs ADT 31821 at £22 each,so not cheap.

Are you having then done at a dealers ? Not sure I want to end up busting one off !!

As in my OP Charlie a firm ' Extract Engineering' are doing it without having to remove the cylinder head.

A mechanic mate told me today of a product..Torsion Plus. which you first spray down the plug in the CH,,

then warm up the engine and the plug comes out no trouble.

IMO the difficulty removing the plugs is the wonderful Toyota Dcat engine causing carbon build up around the threads.

If you use only reasonable force(maybe with the aid of a torque wrench) after heating up the engine you should be ok.

Or leave it til next week after I have my broken one removed,then at least if you were unlucky enough to break one you'll know it can be easily extracted.

• Like 1

As in my OP Charlie a firm ' Extract Engineering' are doing it without having to remove the cylinder head.

A mechanic mate told me today of a product..Torsion Plus. which you first spray down the plug in the CH,,

then warm up the engine and the plug comes out no trouble.

IMO the difficulty removing the plugs is the wonderful Toyota Dcat engine causing carbon build up around the threads.

If you use only reasonable force(maybe with the aid of a torque wrench) after heating up the engine you should be ok.

Or leave it til next week after I have my broken one removed,then at least if you were unlucky enough to break one you'll know it can be easily extracted.

Right I see !! Might just get it done at the dealers if its a pain to do.. My car has had its engine

changed but some time ago now so maybe they wont be to tight. Will see how you get on Paul...

As in my OP Charlie a firm ' Extract Engineering' are doing it without having to remove the cylinder head.A mechanic mate told me today of a product..Torsion Plus. which you first spray down the plug in the CH,,then warm up the engine and the plug comes out no trouble.IMO the difficulty removing the plugs is the wonderful Toyota Dcat engine causing carbon build up around the threads.If you use only reasonable force(maybe with the aid of a torque wrench) after heating up the engine you should be ok.Or leave it til next week after I have my broken one removed,then at least if you were unlucky enough to break one you'll know it can be easily extracted.

Right I see !! Might just get it done at the dealers if its a pain to do.. My car has had its enginechanged but some time ago now so maybe they wont be to tight. Will see how you get on Paul...

Better safe than sorry s'pose .

If they break one it becomes their responsibility.

Its no more than a 30min job anyway.

If

I've changed loads on different diesel's and never had a problem! WD40 them the night b4 and watch them come out? Copper ease the threads on the new ones for next time...

I've never had any probs on my previous diesels either.

Might be the dreaded cylinder head carbon build up on the T180 .

I'm going to use copper grease for sure..not that I'll ever be taking them out again.ha

Charlie

They fail in two ways; They either go open circuit and don't work at all or more usually, they start to fail and just don't heat up enough or as quick as they should. One way of checking the latter is to switch the ignition on but don't attempt to start it until about 5 good seconds (I know, I know, there are no bad seconds but don't count too quick!!). It will probably kick up much quicker if the heater plugs are to blame.

You could be right there with the T-180!... I've not had to change mine as yet! So I'll have to be careful when I change mine...

• Like 1

I will try that 5 second thing and see if that points towards them going.. Cheers.

For the time involved and as much as I enjoy doing things myself I haven't the inclination to be stood with a snapped off stud !

I did an underbonnet clean up and detail today consisting of a full hot powerwash so my car is at its best when I go shopping for a replacement SR .. The engine unsurprisingly looks brand new ! The plugs look easy to get at and no signs of any residue that suggest that they were treated to a spot of copper slip when installed so another reason to leave it to the dealers...

Thanks all !

Just a bit of info , my old rav d4d 57 , went a bit slow firing and I checked the glow plugs , then thay were change under Warranty and the starting was the same ! Six. Months later I had a ticking sound , injector fault , sounded like a ticking cam shaft ! After testing 2 injector were faulty and a new set were fitted ! Ticking went and so did the slow firing ! Just a Thort , hope it's the glow plugs , ( I've got 2 old wrking glow plugs if u want them ) won't fit my 150 bhp d4d

• Like 1

Noticed a couple of times just lately the engine seems just that bit reluctant to turn over/start... It may just be me but this morning after quite a temperature drop it seemed... Well slow... Started just fine but slow if that makes any sense ?

So could it be those glow plug things ? Am I right in that they are spread across the cylinder bank in clear view connected by the ally rod wire affair ?

Car is just over 7 years now and has 76K miles so is it time to replace as a matter of course ? Is it a dealer job or an easy DIY prospect ? And how much do they cost ?

The battery is only a couple of years old if that and is a huge Bosch one as big as I could fit so not suspecting that.. I will charge it up just to make sure though !

Cheers...

yes it looks like they are.

they serve abt 40-60k and must be changed all together.

cheers

This morning I pressed the starter button and waited the 5 seconds before firing the engine up.. No difference.. Car does start fine it just seems that bit reluctant.. Cant really describe it but it just doesn't leap into life.

I will I think just get all four plugs changed as I'm sure I'm not the only one who can feel the change in the air. This wonderful summer must end soon..

• Like 1

Didnt your replacement engine come with new glow plugs Charlie?

In which case they won't have done too many mls and shouldn't really need changing.

I'd investigate further before forking out £90 on new ones.

• Like 1

In which case they won't have done too many mls and shouldn't really need changing.

Cant remember to be honest...... They look like new...................

do you experience injectors issue , if any ?

i asked it cos normally each injector's jet kicks glow plug tip erasing it for miles. you can understand 1500 bar is enough to destroy steel tip after repeatedly kicks. you must to consider this as well. do not ignore to check with glow plugs relay.

i asked it cos normally each injector's jet kicks glow plug tip erasing it for miles. you can understand 1500 bar is enough to destroy steel tip after repeatedly kicks. you must to consider this as well. do not ignore to check with glow plugs relay.

No mate no injector issues.. How do I check the relay ?

No mate no injector issues.. How do I check the relay ?

try to degrease el contacts there to reach a firm el signal and try to start again

Plugs look new.. Not sure if they were changed with the engine... I have detailed paperwork from that occasion but its still packed and in the loft from the house move...

GPlugs006_zps890def11.jpg

Battery is quite new and a decent one with I think plenty of power....

GPlugs008_zpse4e22ab0.jpg

GPlugs010_zps00ca580b.jpg

Paul where did you get those blue print plugs ADT 31821

You can't really tell the age of a glow plug Charlie just by looking.

But as said they usually go gradually until terminal failure leads to non starting

And I cant really imagine Toyota would have taken your old plugs out and stuck them in a new engine,so I'd assume they're fairly new.

Got my plugs from a local indie parts supplier, @£22 ..but would imagine most places will stock them.

That part no.is defo correct for the T180.

Glow plugs are easy to test using a multi meter..

which is what I'd do before buying new ones.

• Like 1

You can't really tell the age of a glow plug Charlie just by looking.

But as said they usually go gradually until terminal failure leads to non starting

And I cant really imagine Toyota would have taken your old plugs out and stuck them in a new engine,so I'd assume they're fairly new.

Got my plugs from a local indie parts supplier, @£22 ..but would imagine most places will stock them.

That part no.is defo correct for the T180.

Glow plugs are easy to test using a multi meter..

which is what I'd do before buying new ones.

Paul I have a meter.. Could you explain how I test them ? I will admit I havnt used the meter much though !

I have been giving this some thought.. Its the engine turning over a bit slow that I'm sensing ,,,, Soon as it turns over it fires up right enough.. Battery is not old so should be ok but it could be a duffer maybe ? Anyway I've connected the Battery up to an optimate charger which I realise is slow to charge but will see how it turns early tomorrow morning as I out very early...

I know looking at them is nothing more than a cursory guide but they do look very clean and shiney and not at all like they have been in the car since 2006..

I like to use the Toyota dealer and would book it in to get it sorted but its this !Removed! diagnostics charge they all seem to be doing that buggers that up.. Fair enough I dont mind paying for the job but 75 quid or so hust to tell me what is wrong (if anything) means I will have to play around with it myself.. Either that or trust a small local garage which is often out of the fire and into the frying pan !

You can't really tell the age of a glow plug Charlie just by looking.But as said they usually go gradually until terminal failure leads to non startingAnd I cant really imagine Toyota would have taken your old plugs out and stuck them in a new engine,so I'd assume they're fairly new.Got my plugs from a local indie parts supplier, @£22 ..but would imagine most places will stock them.That part no.is defo correct for the T180.Glow plugs are easy to test using a multi meter..which is what I'd do before buying new ones.

Paul I have a meter.. Could you explain how I test them ? I will admit I havnt used the meter much though !
It's hard to explain on here Charlie,a guide with video footage is what you really need.

Last time I checked a glow plug was a year ago on my old diesel Jeep, following a guide on you tube

by 'Eric the car guy' who I've found to be very good..but there a loads of others to.

Tbh I use my meter mainly for checking out suspect ignition coils on lawn mowers,&strimmers etc.

I did use it on my previous Golf to check for a Battery drain,correct alternator charging etc.

Not tempting fate but I havnt used it on the T180 as yet,long may it continue ha.

When my plugs failed on the Jeep it gradually went from slow to start to non start within around two weeks ,if that's any help.

• Like 1

A simple test is to remove the buzy rail then test them Individual with a wire from the live 2 a 12v bulb then 2 wear the buzy bar touched each glow plug if the bulb light the chance is is ok is it don't light it's blown ! The glow plug is earthed by the enging , and wen you remove then normally wrking 1s r quite clean and blown 1s r Coated in soot

! You can test them with a Multimeter you sould get I thnk is 9 ohms

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links