Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Retrofit Aircon To Rear?

Dippy

Hi all

I'm thinking of changing my car (might put that in a different thread). So far I'm 70% towards the RAV4.4, but it is possible that I get a CRV. It will depend not least on me driving them, as I haven't driven either, and the cost to change, ie trade-in for mine and other discounts.

One thing the CRV has that I would really like is aircon to the rear. I live in a hot country and have two youngsters under 10 so they'd thank me. My 4.3 hasn't been a problem to date but it would be nice to have if simple.

Anyone thought about it or even done it? I suppose, from my kit car days, the easiest thing would be to pull one feed off eg the footwell feed, and connect it to some flexipipe running to, say, the back of the centre storage box. A more effective solution is to have it roof mounted as in an old land cruiser I tried once, but I'm not sure how one would route the flexipipe up the A pillars.

This will probably remain a pipe(!) dream not least due to the need to keep a warranty, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Cheers for your ideas :)

This is me being techy here, Dippy.......when HEATING is on with the blower, say, on medium, it gets hellya warm especially in the rear of a car, the forward momentum of said vehicle further exacerbating the transfer of heat to the back.

In a properly functioning air con system, with cold air and maybe recirc selected, does this not have the same effect of transferring CAULD air to your pampered wee souls in the rear.....?

Just back from golf in That Portugal, and it worked fine in the rear of a taxi in 35C....

On a purely personal note, none of my mates in the back of MY car will diminish my supply of cold air by robbing it to the rear.....lol.

Wonder if the cold feed to the glovebox could be redirected? Anyone ever used that facility by the way :unsure:

Air (hot or cold) moves quite happily from front to rear of the cabin, provided you're not on Recirc, and have some fan speed. There are also air vent exits built into the boot/luggage area, to ensure a through-flow along the cabin. Should be no need for additional ducting.

Also ensure your cabin filter is clean, as all incoming (or recirc'ed) air has to pass through this.

Chris

Wonder if the cold feed to the glovebox could be redirected? Anyone ever used that facility by the way :unsure:

Pipe supplying glove compartment very small bore, David.........sumfin like myself.......

Well thanks to Chris for encouraging me to RTFM (which I can thanks to Hoovie :) ); and I find that mr T HAS installed vents to the rear! Take that Honda-san! There are a couple of twin exits under the inner corners of the front seats; and they are powered any time you select air to footwell (great minds...? :D). They do work, I just tried them, though they are quite weak. Manual didn't say anything about vents in the boot though.

As I said, I haven't had major problems so this would be a luxury. Now I just have to remember which way to direct the aircon, and not to block under the seats, the latter being important as we do tend to shove stuff there when fully loaded for long trips.

Thanks everyone :)

Kev - you came past without dropping in for a cuppa? I'm offended ;) Where were you, Algarve?

Penina....Le Meridien.....Alvor.......most difficult corridorial tree lined course on earth......LOL. Must check if mine has any air to rear....?

It does indeed - all 4.3s do with the possible exception of those with manual aircon.

You get the best flow when the air is pointed at the footwell and the blower is on full. The air is only bled off the flow to the front footwell but it is enough to give warm feet in winter. It will send cold air to the back but normally the vents would be face level for full cooling effect. The best way to get it to the rear is aim the side registers along the top of the front doors and the middle ones straight through to the back.

Warm air rises....cold air sinks.....ah gettit, min.....also just saw where the air ducts are to the rear.

............... Manual didn't say anything about vents in the boot though.

Hi Dippy,

when the heating system is on "fresh" ( - as opposed to recirculated ) air the blower is sucking air from the outside of the car. If there is to be any control within the car, air has to leave the cabin as well as coming in via the fan ( you can only compress air so much with the fan ) i.e there has to be an outlet for the air in the cabin. The vents in the boot are for this purpose and they are hidden behind the side panels and exit the car behind the bumper. They are fairly complicated affairs, but without electric control, that only open when the air pressure in the cabin is greater than outside.

I've just re-read this and it sounds a bit patronising - it is most definitely not supposed to!!!!

Thanks three5, not patronizing but clear to my little mind :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links