Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Swap

Corollaboy

I have recently purchased as a restoration project a 1980 Corolla Liftback (TE series), it has a 4-speed manual T40 transmission, which, once its through its MOT, I would like to swap with the similar-looking T50 (5-speed) 'box. According to my ancient Haynes manual, both gearboxes look the same (excepting the number of ratios of course). Can anyone confirm if they ARE indeed interchangeable, or do I need to swap any other parts at the same time? Thanks in advance, Paul.

post-30-1083874906.jpg

Wehey, another UK TE! Looks nice.

My '81 TE71 has a T50 5 spd bolted to the 2T-B engine at the factory.

Yeah, the T50 will bolt to your T-series engine (assuming you are using the correct bellhousing). Where did you get the T50 from though? Since there are early and late versions with different number of splines at the yoke for the prop. It may be worth dropping your prop out to make sure all fits snugly before removing the old 'box.

I'm 99% sure my 1980-81 T50 will bolt straight in with your prop, but later T50's (like from an AE86) have 22 splines instead of the old 20 I think.

Hi there, thanks for the reply - its good to know that I'm not the last person to have a car like this! I haven't got the 5-speed gearbox yet (I will be trying the Japanese Spares outlets). I am concentrating on getting the car roadworthy first, then a gearbox swap is on the wish list. I bought the car from Arbtree Farm - they advertise in the classic magazines. I am making good progress with what is a very solid car. The only rusty areas are on the leading edge of the bonnet, and the rear wheelarches (which is where my first car corroded also). That one was a KE70 saloon - DES286V, which my Dad owned from new, sadly the car and I parted company some 9 years ago. So this car is a bit of a retro trip for me. I have recently added some Mark 2 Supra alloys (which I refurbished), running on 205/60 x 14 white-lettered tyres - what an improvement in looks alone! Sadly, I can't post a more recent picture (due to the 100k size limit), but if you email me directly, I will send a picture with my reply. My email address is paulsoave1969@hotmail.com

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links