Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Rav4 2.2Ad Xtr

locosaki

Hi all,

Just joined today as I pick up my Rav4 on Friday.

I've read through a lot of posts regarding engine issues etc, the information on this site is excellent.

Obviously the problems are worrying but I do still have warranty left on this model.

I've been in contact witht the dealer I'm buying from (Landrover garage not Toyota) and I've mentioned this problem to them, there answer was "we'll get our workshop to check things over before you take delivery"

The car has covered 45000 miles so could well be prime candidate for giving up, on the other hand it could have already had an engine replacement.

Is there any obvious checks I can do when I take delivery IE sniffer test to header tank etc

Also, how would I go about finding out if this has infact had an engine change.

Again details below

2.2AD (XTR Model)

57 plate registered 2008

45000 miles

Full Toyota service history.

Thanks in advance

Hi Craig,

If the car has had an engine change, then is should be listed within the service history, otherwise what is the point of listing "Full Service History" and then telling you that an engine change has been done without the paperwork? If that is the case, then what else is missing from the service history?

Part of me had wished that I had seen these posts before buying my 2007 XT-R last year, however I love the car and the engine has since been replaced (at 64,000 miles) under the goodwill warranty, and I do intend to keep this car until I run it into the ground, which hopefully will be in very many years time!

Good point regarding engine change, I over looked the obvious.

So it looks like it's on the original engine so the potential for this is to fail is quite high.

I've paid a deposit on this car but the more I read the more I'm thinking of taking the hit and walking away.

I know the car could be problem free but it will always be in the back of my mind and the luck I have it will go !Removed! up just as the warranty expires !

Tough call on what to do.

Which 'Loony' P/X'd a Rav for a Landrover ? :no:

Welcome to the forum Craig, I'm sure you will find it a very useful resource, there some very knowledgeable members here. The engine issues do tend to relate to the higher output 177 bhp engines, not so much the 136 in your 2008 XTR, your local Mr T will be able to provide a full breakdown of the cars history if it has been maintained within the dealer network .

2008 so you have until some time in 2015 for it to go wrong, and if it has full TOYOTA service history, and/or has been serviced according to Toyota guidelines, the Landrover dealer can, thankfully, gubber off.......none of his responsibility if engine goes wrong.

See me.......ah would go back and tell him what you have gleaned, and mildly threaten to walk away. He may even improve the deal.......?

See me......ah would stick to the Rav if happy with what you see......

See me.......I am totally moist at the Landrover garage "gonnae check it over" before you take delivery of it, Craig.......if his name was Pinnochio, you would have lost at least one eye by noo.....LOL.

sKeptic Kev......edit.....just noticed yurfay That Fife.....welcome abroad the forum of Nutterz min.

• Like 1

A 2008 is a lot less likely (though not unheard of) to have issues and the XTR don't seem as affected as the T180 models.

That said there is a risk. I have a 57 XTR and I'm not too worried, BUT I didn't know of the issues three years ago when I bought it!

It's a shame to miss out on such a great car, but if you did buy it and kept an eye on all the levels etc you could catch any issues early and get it sorted or get shot of it as you see fit.

Dave

PS what will you get if you don't get a Rav!! Some other cars have worse issues you know!

• Like 1

my xtr had an engine rebiuld at 11000 a remanufatured (as they like to call them) at 21000 had to ask the stealership for an engine number which did not have the 2AD prefix in front of the number, maybe if you could have a look at the log book it might give you an idea if the engine has been changed, my new to me engine now has 6000 on it and running a treat, and I really rate the rav

B-A

2008 so you have until some time in 2015 for it to go wrong, and if it has full TOYOTA service history, and/or has been serviced according to Toyota guidelines, the Landrover dealer can, thankfully, gubber off.......none of his responsibility if engine goes wrong.

See me.......ah would go back and tell him what you have gleaned, and mildly threaten to walk away. He may even improve the deal.......?

See me......ah would stick to the Rav if happy with what you see......

See me.......I am totally moist at the Landrover garage "gonnae check it over" before you take delivery of it, Craig.......if his name was Pinnochio, you would have lost at least one eye by noo.....LOL.

sKeptic Kev......edit.....just noticed yurfay That Fife.....welcome abroad the forum of Nutterz min.

You're moist Kev. ?..... :ermm:

• Like 1

Cheers chaps,

No sure what I would go for if it wasn't the RAV, quite happy with the spec of this one aswell, Leather seats, front skid plate and what ever else the XTR has. So long as it can get up a steep hill in heavy snow that's all I'll ask of it.

The Rav looks genuine, I went and viewed the day after it had been traded in so it wasn't washed or had a tart up at all, it was lying in the back of the yard awaiting attention, the best way to see something in it's true colours I would think.

When the guy started it (he wasn't aware I was coming to view) there was no smoke/rattles on start up, as I say it looks honest enough.

Thanks for the welcome Kev, a board full o nutterz, haha a like it.

Agree with your thoughts there though, the Land Rover guy was just telling me what I wanted to hear, as said, still has a few years of warranty left so should make things more bearable if things go !Removed! up, not sure what like my local Toyota dealer is like yet !!

So book it in at Arnie's Bihopbriggs fra service when time comes, Craig, come here fra coffee whilst it's in if yer local Mr. T. proves a bummer. Then ah can show ye how to clean EGR valve and other basic mince that being on here has taught me. Stuff like brake pad renewal too is a dawdle.

Craig if you take up Kevs special offer, do check that you have all items/parts on the Rav you arrived with, things have been known to go missing, if Kev offers to take it out for a drive move all wheelie bins....... :)

Gus

Firstly the dealer cannot retain your deposit unless extraordinary expenses have been incurred IE you have asked for a towbar or the car taxing and they have completed this.....

All cars fitted with the 2AD engine are at risk but the older the car the greater the risk so your being a 2008 is at a slightly lesser risk... None the less a risk is present..

You are as Kev points out covered until the cars 7TH birthday provided the car has full/reasonable service history which does not have to be all Toyota Dealer.. This is of course provided the "good will" warranty policy is not changed.

It is true that we have had quite a few T180s of late but as George points out above its right across the range..

I think its a personal thing deciding if you can or want to live with the worry of future problems...

Good point regarding engine change, I over looked the obvious.

So it looks like it's on the original engine so the potential for this is to fail is quite high.

I've paid a deposit on this car but the more I read the more I'm thinking of taking the hit and walking away.

I know the car could be problem free but it will always be in the back of my mind and the luck I have it will go !Removed! up just as the warranty expires !

Tough call on what to do.

As Jon said an engine change 'should'' be logged in the service history,BUT this doesn't always happen.

The only surefire way of finding out is to cross check the cars engine number with that on the registration document.

Unfortunately though its difficult to see on the engine,(I'm still looking for mine).

As said you would still have a few years 'goodwill'engine warranty,a gesture given by no other manufacturers.

All cars have issues,and obviously there's always a risk buying ANY used car.

Craig if you take up Kevs special offer, do check that you have all items/parts on the Rav you arrived with, things have been known to go missing, if Kev offers to take it out for a drive move all wheelie bins....... :)

Gus

As you can see from his phoaty, Craig, Gus bought his car from a fence.......

As Jon said an engine change 'should'' be logged in the service history,BUT this doesn't always happen.

The only surefire way of finding out is to cross check the cars engine number with that on the registration document.

Unfortunately though its difficult to see on the engine,(I'm still looking for mine).

As said you would still have a few years 'goodwill'engine warranty,a gesture given by no other manufacturers.

All cars have issues,and obviously there's always a risk buying ANY used car.

The problem with this is that when my engine was changed I just got 1 page saying something along the lines of "New engine, must notify DVLA engine number XXXXXXXXXX". If this doc was sent out with the V5C to be updated, and only the V5C was returned then the engine number will match the registration document still.

HOWEVER, unless I saw the paperwork from Toyota with Engine Change confirmation, I would not accept that an engine has been changed.

If you go ahead with it, just make sure you keep an eye on coolant and oil levels.

I don't know if it's worth rocking up and asking to see if the EGR valve is clogged as that seems to be another indicator of Carbon Clogging. (Instructions in the pinned technical section)

Got the scenario in ma heid, Jon.....me and Craig "rock up......?" to the Landy dealer, and ask if it would be ok to dismantle the EGR, citing good reason for so doing.

Methinks they would invite us to try and get each other pregnant.........

• Like 1

Got the scenario in ma heid, Jon.....me and Craig "rock up......?" to the Landy dealer, and ask if it would be ok to dismantle the EGR, citing good reason for so doing.

Methinks they would invite us to try and get each other pregnant.........

You never know......

As Jon said an engine change 'should'' be logged in the service history,BUT this doesn't always happen.The only surefire way of finding out is to cross check the cars engine number with that on the registration document.Unfortunately though its difficult to see on the engine,(I'm still looking for mine).As said you would still have a few years 'goodwill'engine warranty,a gesture given by no other manufacturers.All cars have issues,and obviously there's always a risk buying ANY used car.

The problem with this is that when my engine was changed I just got 1 page saying something along the lines of "New engine, must notify DVLA engine number XXXXXXXXXX". If this doc was sent out with the V5C to be updated, and only the V5C was returned then the engine number will match the registration document still.HOWEVER, unless I saw the paperwork from Toyota with Engine Change confirmation, I would not accept that an engine has been changed.If you go ahead with it, just make sure you keep an eye on coolant and oil levels.I don't know if it's worth rocking up and asking to see if the EGR valve is clogged as that seems to be another indicator of Carbon Clogging. (Instructions in the pinned technical section)
I take your point with engine no.and V5C. Jon

But would Toyota actually put in writing..'New engine' if it hadn't been changed ?

Either way the DVLA may still have a change in the V5C details on their records.

Picked the RAV up tonight and took it for a run, excellent to drive and go's well enough.

Have to say I'm impressed with the spec, could do with the side steps to finish off the look externally.

Will have a look at the EGR tomorrow and take note of fluid levels etc.

Picked the RAV up tonight and took it for a run, excellent to drive and go's well enough.

Have to say I'm impressed with the spec, could do with the side steps to finish off the look externally.

Good choice Craig, I hope the Rav serves you well, I'm sure it will ! any photos yet ?

Get yursell some carb cleaner, Craig, and a wee agitatorial brush. Also Henry the Hoover at the ready to stop any crud going doon the manifold as you remove hopefully soft black deposits. Usually hard deposits points to supermarket fuel, so make up yer mind now to use proprietary brands. Awribest min."..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links