Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newby Nico,... With A New 2006 T180! (Have A Few Questions Already

Nico Boshoff

Dear all,

I am new to this Forum and I am excited to join. (Actually my 1st Forum I join) I always liked to look after any wheels and a car to me was never just a means of travel from point A to B..

Sorry to just barge in already with a few questions here, but I really need advice and I am keen to learn and share here in the future..

Two weeks ago I bought a 2006 RAV4 T180 with 78 000 miles on it, as our 2nd boy was born 8 weeks ago! I really like this car, as it has been looked after really well, but I have concerns about a few things:

1. I only get around 30 mpg with a light foot where as Toyota claims 40 mpg combined. Is there a common issue that causes this?
  2. Our RAV is quite a slow starter. It engine swings a few times slowly before it starts. The company where I bought it from was very helpful so far. They have replaced the Battery, but the same problem persists. Anybody that had this before?
  3. Yesterday I took the car for wheel alignment / wheel balancing. The Auto centre said that are not even going to start as my tyres needs replacing because of holes pinched probably by sharp stones that's through to the inner core. You can hardly see something when you try and open it with a sharp tool and once left, it's only a 5 mm very thin cut. Does this sound true, or are they just being predantic about covering themselves? I know these tyres are run flats. If it needs changing, is it really possible to remove(grind off) the inner part and fit normal tyres?
  4. My car is already 7 years old. Should I worry about the possible gasket issue that could hit any T180. I know Toyota's current warrentee only covers cars up to 7 years old. Does someone had experience with any exceptions from Toyota and can this be prevented?

Again, apologies for all the questions right from the start. Any answers tips and even links to current posts will be much appreciated.

(Attached is a picture of our new RAV. I really like the blue..!

Kind Regards

Nico

Welcome and congrats on 2nd boy!

30 mpg sounds around the average, maybe on the low side of average, for a T180. The less powerful engine (I have an XTR 2.2 D4D) are closer but not always around 40 mpg average.

You should be "concerned" about the engine issue as you have the year/model mostly effected. They don't ALL suffer though. Keep an eye out for oil loss etc. Also check with a Toyota dealer that it hasn't already been changed!

Can't help with the other bits sorry, but new tyres are SO nice to have as they make the car, but runflats are particularly expensive to change.

Fit and healthy your Rav should start with enthusiasm so something is wrong there.

Others with more knowledge should be along soon!!

Dave

• Like 1

Wow, only been a member for a few minutes and already an answer!

Thanks a lot for the useful information Dave!

Much appreciated

Nico

How do Nico.

My 180 is also out of warranty,but runs well with no oil consumption issues.

It's true some 180's did have the engine change due to problems caused by carbon build up,but nobody knows how many.

Not ALL T180's are affected,so you may be ok,if your worried do the oil consumption..

Many 180 owners fit a lindop chip kit which should give you at least 40mpg,and better performance.

Every Rav4 issue is covered on this great forum, just type your topic in the little 'search' box ( right hand corner.)

• Like 1

Hi Nico, glad you found this forum.

Hope you get your issues resolved

Thanks a lot everyone for the the time you took to reply.

I will go and search the links.

I will carry on this link later and give feedback on progress with these issues..

(I ordered some really nice rubber mats this week (front to back), arrived yesterday and I can upload pictures if anyone is interested.)

Thanks

Point 3 of your posting originale, Nico, and muchos welcomos to the Club......

Bin the blasted runflats, mate, and look back you never will......lovely blue Rav that, and good health to enjoy.

Big Kev

• Like 2

Nico.. Could you post a picture of the car ? If its the one in your avatar it looks an unusual colour ?

• Like 1

Point 3 of your posting originale, Nico, and muchos welcomos to the Club......

Bin the blasted runflats, mate, and look back you never will......lovely blue Rav that, and good health to enjoy.

Big Kev

That's a whole new topic to research Nico.

You'll have to disable the pressure warning light on the dash afterwards though ,quite easy to do, just follow the guide on here.

But as BK said if you need tyres replacing,bin the run flats at the same time, you won't regret it.

• Like 1

I've just part-ex'd my SR180 for a shiny new 4.4 but ...

• Over 56,000 miles I averaged 37.3 mpg. The last couple of tank-fulls were used doing two 300+ miles round trips mostly on motorways - I managed 40.8 mpg; my beloved managed 34.8 mpg - it really does depend on how fast one drives (and I was only doing 70 :))
  • You don't have to ditch the BSR run-flat system - OK it's a bit of a 'betamax' solution but it works just fine as long as you know how and where to get a tyre replaced when you need to. If you do decide to ditch the support ring - and pretty much all the advise on this forum will send you that way - the TPMS will continue to work just fine if you keep the valves intact. [i left mine as Toyota intended ... ]

Nico.. To answer a couple of your questions....

My T180 also is a little slow turning over.. I have a huge Battery on it and it seems from another topic the starter motors are slow or go a bit slow but this is not a problem...

There are only a couple of things you can do to help preserve you engine.. 1 is to use only TOP quality fuel like Shell Vpower Diesel or BP Ultimate .. I genuinely get better MPG form my T180 using these fuels and this was proved time and time again when I was doing regular very long trips..

There are No exceptions to the "Good will" extended warranty .. When the car passes 7 years old you/we are on our own.. My advice is to monitor the oil and coolant levels and if things do go wrong get shot fast ! As others have said not all cars are affected..

See here for the full SP on those run flat tyres.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/133751-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-bsr-system-runflats/

See here also for how to switch/disable the TPMS if you as many decide to ditch the run flats and fit normal tyres.. In short the answer is yes you can cut the tyres off and fit normal tyres and a whole lot cheaper than the one make only Bridgestones...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/130476-charliefarlies-guide-to-switching-the-tpms-pink-wire/

Lastly the way to up your MPG is to fit the Lindop tuning box which makes a very good improvement as well as making the car so much better and nicer to drive.. PM Parts King on this forum for a forum discount.. That said I have one on my car and the car is to be sold or PXed soon as I can find a nice late SR at which point it will be for sale..

• Like 2

Still to hear of or from any member on here who managed to drive home at 50mph for up to 50 miles and still have a WHEEL left never mind a serviceable tyre at the end of it.......!!

I still insist it was a bloody cartellified way of getting unsuspecting folk's cash oot their pockets.......and here ah go again.......all else apart, like half price tyres FFS, the car dove and felt better without them.

• Like 1

The weight of the BSR equipped wheel massacred the suspension.. The damping both compression and rebound could not cope with the sheer weight ! Or at least it had such a struggle doing so there was no damping left to cope with normal duties like containing the weight of the car and absorbing the few bumps we get in our billiard smooth roads.. Cough cough.............

Thanks all for the very generous interest. I met a guy in Whales, and he actually said I should register here as there's quite a friendly bunch on here. He was right!

@Charlie. I think they call it slate blue. If it's clean, it surely shines! I will take some more pictures and post them.

Has anyone used Mantis ever. "The waterless cleaner" It's not cheap, but it works a treat for the lazy days. Usually I only use Maguiars, especially on my 04 Civic Type R.

Cheers

Nico

Thanks all for the very generous interest. I met a guy in Whales, and he actually said I should register here as there's quite a friendly bunch on here. He was right!

@Charlie. I think they call it slate blue. If it's clean, it surely shines! I will take some more pictures and post them.

Has anyone used Mantis ever. "The waterless cleaner" It's not cheap, but it works a treat for the lazy days. Usually I only use Maguiars, especially on my 04 Civic Type R.

Cheers

Nico

If you want to change your car into an Etch a Sketch, use a dry waterless cleaner.......only takes a tiny wee piece of grit, and slate blue wiil look like.....slate. Deffo not for me........foamy pre rinse then warm microfibre wash.

• Like 1

Bit of a guide here Nico on polishing... Kev is your man though for all things detailing......

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/127259-machine-polishing-a-guide/#entry1133029

Philip is absolutely right the TPMS can be retained if extreme care is taken removing the BSR kit.. That is why the guide to switching and disabling the system has both elements IE disabling or switching.. That way you have the option of retaining the TPMS if desired.... We finks of most fings ere...................

Bit of a guide here Nico on polishing... Kev is your man though for all things detailing......http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/127259-machine-polishing-a-guide/#entry1133029

Pants Charlie min........in thy wake I still learn......

• Like 1

Hi Nico,

Welcome to the club. Nice colour Rav, not seen one like that before.

If you can as mentioned previously in the post ditch the run flats if possible.

Have to agree also regarding the tuning chip, I just fitted one recently. The biggest benefit being it has removed hesitation when just moving from standstill. My mpg has gone up ever so slightly.....and that's without trying, i am really enjoying driving the car with the extra torque.

I've just part-ex'd my SR180 for a shiny new 4.4 but ...

• Over 56,000 miles I averaged 37.3 mpg. The last couple of tank-fulls were used doing two 300+ miles round trips mostly on motorways - I managed 40.8 mpg; my beloved managed 34.8 mpg - it really does depend on how fast one drives (and I was only doing 70 :))
  • You don't have to ditch the BSR run-flat system - OK it's a bit of a 'betamax' solution but it works just fine as long as you know how and where to get a tyre replaced when you need to. If you do decide to ditch the support ring - and pretty much all the advise on this forum will send you that

way - the TPMS will continue to work just fine if you keep the valves intact. [i left mine as Toyota

intended ... ]

Your right Phil no need to ditch the pressure sensors.

Unless like mine the tiny grub screw in the dust cap is seized which when trying to remove snaps the valve thread making it unuseable .

IIRC though using that tyre sealant !Removed! will destroy the pressure sensor in that wheel

If this happens and you want to keep the TPMS I think Kev still has some spares available ;~)

Or carry a spare wheel.

Talking of spare wheels.... Having seen Jolly Fryers (Lizs) car in the flesh the fitting of a rear door from a different version of the Rav should be considered.. I was very impressed with the change and look it gave the car... If I were not changing soon I think I would copy that mod !

Going back to the TPMS it was often reported that these sensors could be a bit sensitive or perhaps unreliable once they had the BSR rings removed.. That plus the fact they easily break when removing the kit is one of the reasons why I fitted the switch to my T180.. Plus I still have the original set of wheels complete with the Bridgestone tyres and BSR rings just as they left the factory.. So having the switch means that if I PX the car to a Dealer the car will be in original order..

I used to believe that come trade in time a car either a T180 or SR180 would be marked down in value if the dealer sussed the BSR equipment had been removed.. To be honest I no longer take that view.. But when My car gets either sold or more likely traded in it will go on its original set of BSR shod wheels..

• Like 1

Nico.. I have a set of Pirelli Scorpion tyres here with very little wear indeed.. They are 18 inchers same as the standard ones and would sell at very reasonable coin indeed.. I have to many !Removed! wheels and tyres kicking around here now....

• Like 4

Nico.. I have a set of Pirelli Scorpion tyres here with very little wear indeed.. They are 18 inchers same as the standard ones and would sell at very reasonable coin indeed.. I have to many bloody wheels and tyres kicking around here now....

What an opporchancity, Nico.......buy Charlie's rubbery bits and he will dae you a good deal as usual, bin yer Flunrats, and we will all look out for a spare wheel and tyre for ye.........we call it TOC Rock, mate.

• Like 1

Looks like I can pimp our RAV just by knowing all of you! :)

Charly, I will definitely be interest in your excess rubber, and the Lindon possibly later. I will have to consult my wallet to when I can, as I am a bit skinned at the moment. Originally we are from South Africa, Cape Town area and we are going through visa applications which is a heck of a lot of money. (thousands!)

Do you have a price in mind for the tyres?

(..then a newby question? What does the quote and muti-quote means by theend of each reply / post.)

Thanks BK for mentioning about the waterless cleaning. I have only used it on my EP3 type R yet. Not on the RAV. You have a very good point..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links