Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newby Nico,... With A New 2006 T180! (Have A Few Questions Already

Nico Boshoff

Sounds to me that maybe the glowplugs need changing mate! I'm really happy with the way my car is going at the min😊

Update on starting issue:

So my T180 was at Toyota today to diagnose the starting problem. Indeed it was the starter motor and they are quoting £640 parts and labour. Hopefully the 15 month warrantee that came with the car will cover this, but I will know on Monday. (They gave me a new Auris Estate hybrid to drive today. Very smooth car, but they should have put a calendar in it, in stead of a speedometer as it took most of the day to pick up speed. :)

Glad it wasn't expensive Nico ....................Mmmmmm

You have to bear in mind these engines are slow turning over first thing ... If its covered by the warranty then ace but if its not then leave it till it gives final notice.... Unless it has of course ?

Hi Charlie,

I hear what you'r saying and I agree. Is there a way we can upload soundtracks. Probably needs to be a video for the sound. Then I can record it starting and that might help all of us for future reference.

Cheers

Nico

You can buy a starter for less than £300 from eurocarparts and fit it yourself. Kingo might be competitive.

• Like 2

Good information on the starter Don... A wee bit of a comfort ...

Nico I haven't a clue on sound uploads but imagine its not dissimilar to taking a picture and uploading that ?

• Like 1

Starters do crank slower with age but as long as it starts there is no need for concern. If it starts to struggle and becomes difficult to start then you might have to worry.

Mine cranks over a few times before starting to,especially in colder weather.

But as long as it starts why worry.

If you decide to change the glow plugs make sure the engine is warmed up before trying to remove them.

And If they don't crack easily then leave them for a garage to do,if they've never been removed they can be seized to the cylinder head,which can result in them snapping..not good!

Starters do crank slower with age but as long as it starts there is no need for concern. If it starts to struggle and becomes difficult to start then you might have to worry.

Hi Don,

Mine sometimes does not even start with the 1st press of the keyless button. I will try and upload a sound / video clip at some point. (Thanks a lot about the pricing info. I will consider going the route of doing it myself if the warrantee does not commit to it..

Thanks

Nico

Hi Don,

Mine sometimes does not even start with the 1st press of the keyless button. I will try and upload a sound / video clip at some point. (Thanks a lot about the pricing info. I will consider going the route of doing it myself if the warrantee does not commit to it..

Thanks

Nico

Nico. When you say it fails to start first push is the starter operating ? Or not responding to the press of the button ?

Can you describe exactly what is happening ?

Must say my 2009 and current Rav spin over equally fast as any petrol car I ever owned, and it's obviously more important a diesel cranks well......? Me same a Timoofie......suspect yer glowies.

• Like 1

You can switch on the ignition and leave it a few seconds after the glow plug light has gone off. Don't worry about this starting thing unless it really does cause a problem.

Can someone please tell me which Glow plugs to buy ? I'm thinking my ones ought to be changed as a matter of course..... I remember Paul (Voyager T180 ) recommending a good brand recently ? Best pop a decent set in eh ....................

Bilstein blueprint part no..ADT 31821 Charlie.

£22 each iirc.

• Like 1

Don't have a link Charlie,I bought mine from my local motolec spares shop.

The Denso ones will be on a par and are a wee bit cheaper.

• Like 1

Hi Don,

Thanks

Nico

Nico. When you say it fails to start first push is the starter operating ? Or not responding to the press of the button ?

Can you describe exactly what is happening ?

Hi Charlie, what I mean is, it crank a few times and then stops eventually. Pressing the button again it usually starts then. (but mostly it starts with the 1st press of the button after a few slow cranks. If you want to you can send me an email address, then I can email you a video clip I took today of it starting? I will see if I can upload here somewhere on this post, so that it can help all the members for future problems..

Thanks

Nico

Sounds like yours is a lot worse than my one. Nico... My one is just a little slow but always starts after the first push ....

I'm thinking it's really just time to swap the plugs as they were likely transferred from the old engine into the new one and the odo reads. 77.000 miles now so they are overdue...

Just got to find some...

Euro car parts sell some branded : Japan Parts: ??????

Will try and find some Bilstien or Denso ones..

• Like 1

Don't have a link Charlie,I bought mine from my local motolec spares shop.

The Denso ones will be on a par and are a wee bit cheaper.

Struggling to find either Denso or the Blueprint ones... One eBay seller has Blueprint ones but only has two.......

Confused now...... Dons linked ones are NGK at 52 quid.. Blueprint ones are nearly 100 so is there a difference ?

It is possible to buy a set of glow plugs for 40 quid but I always try to fit the best kit as I always think it pays dividends in the long run....

NGK are a very good make like Denso, blueprint! Go for the cheapest ones you can get. Do a google search for "cheap car parts" and it should come up with the sister company to Euro Car Parts! Same products! But very much cheaper... 😎👀

• Like 1

£22 each iirc.

Is this the one?

It does not say Bilstein, but the part number is the same!

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m30b0s2904p38164/BLUEPRINT_ADT_PART_NUMBERS_-_GLOW_PLUG_-_ADT31821_

The same part No. as my blueprint ones anyway,

Which were £21.31 each back in May this year.

Camskills even cheaper,get em bought.

• Like 1

£22 each iirc.

Is this the one?

It does not say Bilstein, but the part number is the same!

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m30b0s2904p38164/BLUEPRINT_ADT_PART_NUMBERS_-_GLOW_PLUG_-_ADT31821_

The same part No. as my blueprint ones anyway,

Which were £21.31 each back in May this year.

Camskills even cheaper,get em bought.

Bought 4 of the Blueprint ones today.....
  • Like 1

Take care removing them guys,you never know if some grease monkey(technician sorry) has been swinging on his spanner putting em in..and they can be badly carbonned to the cylinder head as well .thanks to that wonderful EGR invention.

Torque them to 11.3 Nmm. .(Courtesy of Don.)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links