Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Door Check Strap 4.2.

john21245

On a previous 4.2 I replaced the standard check strap for an extended one off e-bay and was very pleased with the result.

Wishing to do the same on the 4.2 I have just bought I decided to try to convert the strap from my previous rav which was still kicking around in the garage.

I cut the strap 30mm from the vehicle end and simply welded in a 20mm insert and it works a treat.

The job takes no longer than 15 mins over and above the normal swapping procedure. I actually spent longer as I had several attempts with different length inserts until I came up with the optimum 20mm length.Saved £50 so I'm happy.

• Like 2

John , I might try this myself as I was considering buying the longer strap ! Does this mod cause any problems come mot time ?

Never had any mot issues with the previous conversion. I hardly think it would be checked. It has been mentioned previously that you could put some sort of reflective strip on the door edge to compensate for covering the lights.

• Like 1

Never had any mot issues with the previous conversion. I hardly think it would be checked. It has been mentioned previously that you could put some sort of reflective strip on the door edge to compensate for covering the lights.

Changed wife's in 30 mins. Jase, incredibly worthwhile mod, and to answer your question on your other subject, was utterly bone dry with inner poly. membrane totally intact.

• Like 1

Thanks both , I've read that it's a relatively straightforward job , must be worth doing as the standard opening is a pain !

• Like 1

Only a thought, but don't forget to fit additional rear red deflectors to the door as a safety / MOT precaution! The JAP parts door extender fits perfectly, easily fitted, and is cheap. :flowers:

• Like 1

Only a thought, but don't forget to fit additional rear red deflectors to the door as a safety / MOT precaution! The JAP parts door extender fits perfectly, easily fitted, and is cheap. :flowers:

The object was to convert the existing strap for nothing as the conversions, while worthwhile , are hardly cheap at £50.

• Like 1

The object was to convert the existing strap for nothing as the conversions, while worthwhile , are hardly cheap at £50.

..........and cannae see anybody hereon argue with ye there John..........if ye have the technology to hand (welding kit), go for it. As for MOT, would they give a damn.....? Doubt it......

• Like 1

Seein as 5 door RAVs hae bin passin MOTs fur years, then dinna worry aboot yer MOT. If a 5 door RAV is accepted fur bein safe in the MOT, a longer cheque strap inna gaun tae mak ony difference ye ken ?

Noo, if ye converted it tae a swing door, that micht hae problems......

• Like 2

Good Effort John. I'm all for making your own fixes!!

I spent the £50 though as learning to weld and having the right tools to do so would have cost me a lot more. The amount of times I have wished I could weld something together to repair it!!

You should upload a pic of your custom made check strap.

I would recommend to anyone the extended strap. Opening it 90 degrees has made it much more usable if only for sitting in the back with the door wide open watching the Polo. They do come up used on eBay too so keep an eye out. :eek:

• Like 1

Yes, apologies, I must have been thinking of something else. I thought I only paid £9.50 or something. DOH :giljotiini:

I spent the £50 though as learning to weld and having the right tools to do so would have cost me a lot more. The amount of times I have wished I could weld something together to repair it!!

I would recommend to anyone the extended strap. Opening it 90 degrees has made it much more usable if only for sitting in the back with the door wide open watching the Polo. They do come up used on eBay too so keep an eye out. :eek:

Watching WHAT, Lee......? You got thieves stealin' yer mint flavoured sweeties......?

Watching WHAT, Lee......? You got thieves stealin' yer mint flavoured sweeties......?

Of course not, Kev. Obviously he stands guard over their VW for fear the local ne'er do wells abscond with it. Surely that's a regular occurance in Scotlandshire, oui??

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links