Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 Auto With New Ecm

Tobydog1610

Hi,

I am new to this so bear with me - also am not at all technical. Reversed car into garage last Sunday - no problems. Just started it to go out no problems.

When I went to put it into D the gearstick felt strange as if it was not connected to anything. It just goes up and down the gearbox and will not go into anything and all that shows on the dash is R as this was the last gear I used.

Has my gearbox gone? - any ideas what to do as I am alone and disabled so not sure how to move forward. Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Hi,

I am new to this so bear with me - also am not at all technical. Reversed car into garage last Sunday - no problems. Just started it to go out no problems.

When I went to put it into D the gearstick felt strange as if it was not connected to anything. It just goes up and down the gearbox and will not go into anything and all that shows on the dash is R as this was the last gear I used.

Has my gearbox gone? - any ideas what to do as I am alone and disabled so not sure how to move forward. Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Hi Pat & welcome.

Can you please clarify whether you have had a new gearbox ECU fitted as the thread title indicates that you have? This would be very important in terms of trying to give you an answer to your query.

Yes, This was fitted August 2012 as the gears were not working properly. It was installed by a Toyota approved garage.

Thanks for your time

I would have a look at the gear selection lever mechanism as it goes into the gearbox. I suspect something has parted so moving the gear lever in the car does not move anything in the gearbox itself. I had just the opposite when the linkage seized and I could not move the selector. I cannot see why the ECM should stop the selection of a gear(but stand to be corrected)

Bryan

Function selection is mechanical and doesn't involve the ECM. The mechanical linkage has come adrift either at the transmission or at the connection to the shift stick. Call out your breakdown service if you have a home start option - otherwise do you have a local mobile motor mechanic?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links