Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Recall

stompe

Doesn't worry me in the slightest. In fact quite look forward to a trip to the dealer, have a look at the latest version of the car, and drink their admirable free coffee while waiting.

Is it just me, or do UK media just love highlighting Toyota's recalls? Don't other makers ever make recalls? And the bloke on the BBC this morning couldn't even pronounce Prius properly!

• Like 2

Lol, but it does beg the question, How thoroughly do they test there vehicles?

Heard about the recall on the radio this morning. I got the impression it does not affect all cars in the 2009-2014 range!! Never mind I would rather get a recall than have a failure. As far as I am concerned it is not a big deal am just pleased Toyota have got a fix for the fault.

At least Toyota are open and honest and are trying to resolve the problem.

If nothing went wrong with cars we would all be driving model T's... :driving:

• Like 1

Lol, but it does beg the question, How thoroughly do they test there vehicles?

You cannot test forever, there is nothing like "real life" driving situations to throw up faults. Toyota completely changed their way of doing things after the pedal recall, unlike other manufacturers who sweep things under the carpet!

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The press announce the recall, as the Toyota system is not that up to date to let owners know there's a recall.

Does this explain it better;

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/12/toyota-recall-idUST9N0KP02J20140212

My car must have almost been rebuilt by Toyota due to all these recalls - seriously. But another one is not a problem. I don't mind. I'd rather a car manufacturer be like this than say Renault who argue black is white or vice versa.

Hiya Kingo, its probably all down to cost cutting, let the poor consumer do the road testing. Hence why Toyota are slipping down customer survays, I now have an Auris hybrid the Battery fiasco should never have happened in such a big manufacturer.

The press announce the recall, as the Toyota system is not that up to date to let owners know there's a recall.

When a recall is announced it is held in conjunction with VOSA. With used cars changing hands everyday, the Toyota system will never be up to date. Toyota inform VOSA of the range of cars affected by chassis number, it is announced to the press, VOSA then apply to the DVLA to match chassis numbers to registered owners. Toyota then write to those owners

Hiya Kingo, its probably all down to cost cutting, let the poor consumer do the road testing. Hence why Toyota are slipping down customer survays, I now have an Auris hybrid the battery fiasco should never have happened in such a big manufacturer.

Cars are so complex nowadays, it's impossible to find every mistake before releasing them. Especially with problems that only occur on a few percentage of the cars. You can test with 10'000 of cars and none of them has it and then you sell millions of it and there will still be problems you didnt catch before.

And this prius recall affects cars going back to 2009... so this problem took a long time to surface. should they have tested the car for 5 years before releasing it? ;)

Or they kept it quiet. continuous testing, Kingo will tell us the Japanese mantra for this. Still shouldn't happen, Would it be acceptable if someone was hurt by a fault?

Kaizen=Continuous improvement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen

The "Toyota way" is copied all over the world as one of the best manufacturing systems

Products would never get to market if you tested them for years, sadly people and property do get hurt, look at washing machines and fridges that burst into flames. Nobody wants that to happen, but nothing is infallible. Remember one of the first Airbus "fly by wire" aircraft that crashed at an air show in France? nobody wanted that to happen but a certain set of circumstances meant it did. Dreamliner aircraft batteries bursting into flames at 35,000 feet too!!

Thankfully there have been no reported accidents or incidents with this particular recall

Is upgrading the software the best way or should the faulty parts be replaced instead?

Does the software update reduce performance or economy or both?

Considering my inverter blew whilst overtaking a HGV, do I now get my labour costs returned? My car was at 70k miles but out of warranty for the gen3. I do recall that my old inverter was shipped to Toyota HQ, so perhaps they knew there was an inssue.

• Like 1

No. There is no need for the parts to be replaced, it is an ECU re-flash only, nothing else needs replacing

When you get your letter from Toyota, there will be information contained in it that tells you what to do if you have already had this condition and paid for it to be resolved

• Like 1

I called Toyota UK today, as was told that until the new software is fitted I should not drive my car for long distances. I will be seeking compensation as a car I canot drive i useless.

Refer to Parts King's answer. No software needs to be replaced. So whoever told you not to drive your car has mislead you terryparrott. I would suggest you contact your dealer who I am sure will advise you it is OK to drive your car.

• Like 1

Refer to Parts King's answer. No software needs to be replaced. So whoever told you not to drive your car has mislead you terryparrott. I would suggest you contact your dealer who I am sure will advise you it is OK to drive your car.

The word "re-flash" means to replace the software in one of the ECUs.

I'm sorry, I personally don't believe that.

which bit don't you believe partskings post or terryparrotts? I've lost the conversation.

Think it was the terryparrotts post.

I called Toyota UK today, as was told that until the new software is fitted I should not drive my car for long distances. I will be seeking compensation as a car I canot drive i useless.

I think something may have got lost in translation? If you use common sense, many Prius have already driven long distances.

So what I guess is meant by that advice is that if your car actually has the fault happen, the dash warning lights light up like a Xmas tree?, the Hybrid switches to limp home mode?, then you should not drive long distances after it happens.

Trust me there was no confusion on my part. The Toyota operative clearly said to me that until the new software was available and uploaded I should not drive my car for long distances. We then had a lengthy discussion around what Toyota considered to be a long distance, was it journeys of more than 10 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles or what. He was unable to clarify.

I have since been told that the new software will be available next week, but when I called Toyota this morning that information wasn't available.

I am personally shocked at Toyotas poor customer service. My car is only just over a year old. I've had the Sat Nav issue when a new software version deleted the option to search full UK postcodes (and it took me weeks to convince Toyota that there was a problem), the Sat Nav regularly switches off, my front right running light has been replaced as it filled up with water, and the car regularly gets confused at start up and I have to get out of the car lock it then re-enter and now I have this recall. It's all very shoddy for a car costing £28,000 upwards, very poor indeed.

All cars can have faults, but it's how you deal with them that matters, and Toyota just seem to brunch it all off.

Trust me there was no confusion on my part. The Toyota operative clearly said to me that until the new software was available and uploaded I should not drive my car for long distances. We then had a lengthy discussion around what Toyota considered to be a long distance, was it journeys of more than 10 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles or what. He was unable to clarify.

I have since been told that the new software will be available next week, but when I called Toyota this morning that information wasn't available.

I am personally shocked at Toyotas poor customer service. My car is only just over a year old. I've had the Sat Nav issue when a new software version deleted the option to search full UK postcodes (and it took me weeks to convince Toyota that there was a problem), the Sat Nav regularly switches off, my front right running light has been replaced as it filled up with water, and the car regularly gets confused at start up and I have to get out of the car lock it then re-enter and now I have this recall. It's all very shoddy for a car costing £28,000 upwards, very poor indeed.

All cars can have faults, but it's how you deal with them that matters, and Toyota just seem to brunch it all off.

Hardly "brunching" it off, Name another manufacturer that actively reports issues such as this in the way Toyota do, other manufacturers seek to hide and deny that they have recalls. Toyota have announced a recall as soon as they possibly can ( a recall can only be called a recall and announced as such once VOSA have agreed it is a recall ) they do this so owners can be informed as soon as possible, at a dealer level we get informed after 1600 hrs the night before that there will be an announcement, All the required information to fix the cars will now be forwarded to dealers and repairs will start as soon as possible, as soon as the DVLA provide the latest ownership details to Toyota ( can only be done when VOSA say recall ) letters will be sent recorded first class to affected owners.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links