Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boost Controller

Aggo

I'll go and take some after dinner bud

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aggo

• MrBenjaminHDM

• smudge-1991

• Aidsy1

Nice one, That's the only place I could think of too. Not super keen on cutting holes as everything I've done so far is reversible should I come to sell the car. 

1 minute ago, Aggo said:

No holes on mine :)

What witchcraft is this?!

Just now, Aggo said:

3m vhb we use it for sign making

where do your cables go?

Edit: I see the tube now!

Just now, Aggo said:

It's really clean

I like it, the parts are going in my basket right now.

1 minute ago, Aggo said:

You need it for tuning boost

Gauge was already on the way, I ordered it on prime 7 minutes before the cut off for next day delivery. Not enough time to think about mounting it.... guess it'll be duct taped to the steering column for a couple of days...

10 hours ago, Aggo said:

You need it for tuning boost

Where did you go through the firewall bud?

Honestly I can't remember but I can remember I went through a grommet because I drilled and siliconed it....

If I remember this took the longest time to do as you need 8 very skinny arms....

There is an easy option taken by aidsy to go over your spring in the wheel arch not sure on the longevity of this option but it seemed to work for him....

Dagnabbit I only have 2 medium arms. I ran my front camera through the same suspected grommit I believe. That wasn't fun...

Thanks

I have the vacuum line through to the cabin and now I can't quite figure out what line I'm tapping into... The vacuum pump is on the left hand side of the block with a thicker line coming off it towards the cabin and a smaller line that eventually meets the turbo sensor and then actuator.

Where is it you guys are tapping into for these gauges? I can only seem to get negative readings no matter what.

I have made a guide. I'll find it in a sec

Here you go, was for my old guage, but still the same principle.

Edited by Aidsy1

9 hours ago, Aidsy1 said:

Here you go, was for my old guage, but still the same principle.

Thanks man, sorted!

I have a boost problem :c Needle hits 20+ then bounces down to around 14 repeatedly which explains why the ECU is sampling around 17 as it must be taking some sort of average. I did try a suction test on the actuator which seemed to be fine and couldn't find any leaks previously. I'll have to revisit those things I think.

Any other suggestions would be fantastic.

Sounds to me like a boost or vacuum leak in the lines. Have you checked all the maf and map pressure lines, along with the vacuum line that come of the vacuum pump? (i believe our cars use a pump instead of off of inlet vacuum)

1 hour ago, Aidsy1 said:

Sounds to me like a boost or vacuum leak in the lines. Have you checked all the maf and map pressure lines, along with the vacuum line that come of the vacuum pump? (i believe our cars use a pump instead of off of inlet vacuum)

It's so very inconsistent. Just went out for a spin at lunch boost kicks in at 1600 up to 2000 hesitates and then absolutely wellies it at about 2300 and read 188hp at 3500 on Torque in 3rd, sometimes it feels a bit numb. This is driving me a little batty, OBD never reads more than 18PSI contrary to the analogue gauge it's tapped right next to. Not sure if it's a leak, actuator rod, MAP sensor, divine intervention. 

It exhibits behavior like the graph below which is expected of a VNT but up in 5th or 6th when the flat spot is on/off/on/off/on/off as you climb the rev range much slower than the lower gears it leaves expectation.

Someone come fix it for me :baby:

Boost-Graph_6.jpg

I get between 21 and 24 on stock set up with the tweaks I have I get about 27 psi ... the turbo has an internal wastegate controlled by the actuator ... the electronic controller is the to activate the actuator as required ... the other way to get more boost is to tighten the nut on the actuator and see I would not advise it though .... the 2.0 can be tuned but at the minute it's only ecu out and opened to tune which is costly ... very few can be done through the OBD port, this is something we are working towards ... I have ran mine tuned for quite some time and have no issues but being part of a firm kept the cost down ... 

On 10/03/2016 at 9:52 PM, Aidsy1 said:
On 10/03/2016 at 9:52 PM, Aidsy1 said:

Take a look at this 

Manual boost gauge reads the right amount of boost and does this little dance when the car judders under acceleration around 2200 RPM

The cars boost gauge is miles off, don't know what measures to take to rectify this as it's on the same line as the manual as I understand.

Wow! Some real issues there!

Sorry to point out the obvious, looks like a map problem though only speculation.

If that's a direct reading gauge doesn't it need a restrictor in the line to stop it bouncing around like that?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links