Sign in to follow this  
gcams

Solution - Rav4 (4.2) Speedometer Failure (Intermittent Then Solid Fau

Hi All,

I thought I'd post this solution here, in case it's of use to other folk on the forum. Recently, the speedometer on my 2002 Rav4 (4.2) VVTi 1998cc Petrol, failed. To begin with, I was driving down the motorway, and the needle went nuts, dropping to 0 MPH then coming back up to my cruising speed, on and off in quick succession.

After about 5 minutes of the speedometer needle bouncing up and down, it finally stopped altogether. After about 20 minutes of further driving, the Engine-Management light came on too, indicating a trouble code (no doubt due to the loss of vehicle speed input).

Most of the research I did on the internet pointed towards the fault being with the vehicle speed sensor, which is located in the gearbox (close to the firewall, towards the right hand side of the gearbox).

However, whilst trying to troubleshoot the issue, I inadvertently came across an article that suggested the problem could lie with water getting into a connector block, inside the vehicle. The connector block in question lives behind the driver's side kick panel, just to the right of the accelerator pedal:

rav4_connector_block.jpg

Indeed, when I removed the kick-panel, and unplugged the very bottom white connector block, I found evidence of corrosion (green build-up visible in pic), and the cable was wet:

rav4_corroded_connector.jpg

I believe in my case, the water is entering from the sunroof, and making it's way down the driver's side windscreen pillar, and down the wiring loom until it reaches this lowest point.

A squirt of WD40 into the connector, and some cleaning up of the contacts restored my speedometer back to full operational status. I was very glad I found the real issue before I spent considerable money on a new VSS!!

Here's hoping this saves somebody else some heartache too! :)

PS: Now I need to overcome the leaky sunroof! :D :D

• Like 3

Thanks for your excellent post of the solution to your intermittent speedo problem

Good luck in your search for a repair to your leaky sunroof :)

Cheers Red Yaris! I have a feeling the sunroof might prove a bit of a challenge! :)

This is a great piece of infomation that is illustrated which leaves no doubt of the steps taken.

:clap: Congratulations gs (Graham?) :clap:

May I request that this is moved to the RAV4 section,please as this is the model it refers to.

Del

Oops senior moment there.sorry all

This is a great piece of infomation that is illustrated which leaves no doubt of the steps taken.

:clap: Congratulations gs (Graham?) :clap:

May I request that this is moved to the RAV4 section,please as this is the model it refers to.

Del

Oops senior moment there.sorry all

Finger on the pulse as always :lol:
  • Like 1

HI Thanks for this info as help me alot .went through everything .started to work then stop again.so as i was moving i gave the the kick panel a knock with my hand and it started to work .and i think the car go,es faster now wop wop lol thanks again .(it was green in the connector )

• Like 1

Hi All,

I thought I'd post this solution here, in case it's of use to other folk on the forum. Recently, the speedometer on my 2002 Rav4 (4.2) VVTi 1998cc Petrol, failed. To begin with, I was driving down the motorway, and the needle went nuts, dropping to 0 MPH then coming back up to my cruising speed, on and off in quick succession.

After about 5 minutes of the speedometer needle bouncing up and down, it finally stopped altogether. After about 20 minutes of further driving, the Engine-Management light came on too, indicating a trouble code (no doubt due to the loss of vehicle speed input).

Most of the research I did on the internet pointed towards the fault being with the vehicle speed sensor, which is located in the gearbox (close to the firewall, towards the right hand side of the gearbox).

However, whilst trying to troubleshoot the issue, I inadvertently came across an article that suggested the problem could lie with water getting into a connector block, inside the vehicle. The connector block in question lives behind the driver's side kick panel, just to the right of the accelerator pedal:

rav4_connector_block.jpg

Indeed, when I removed the kick-panel, and unplugged the very bottom white connector block, I found evidence of corrosion (green build-up visible in pic), and the cable was wet:

I believe in my case, the water is entering from the sunroof, and making it's way down the driver's side windscreen pillar, and down the wiring loom until it reaches this lowest point.

A squirt of WD40 into the connector, and some cleaning up of the contacts restored my speedometer back to full operational status. I was very glad I found the real issue before I spent considerable money on a new VSS!!

Here's hoping this saves somebody else some heartache too! :)

PS: Now I need to overcome the leaky sunroof! :D :D

excellent heads up cured mine to-day exactly as you describe , however I would suggest disconnecting the - Battery before hand !

thanks .

Brilliant post & solution. Had exact same problem.Like most people I hate, loathe, detest & don't really understand car electric problems. Chats with mechanic friends came up with various options, lots of chins being scratched and mostly technical & probably expensive ideas/guesses. Searched the TOC site & eureka! Remembered we had left the sunroof tilted one night when there had been a downpour (we're in the NW Highlands so it was a good soaking!). Car mats out, kickplate off, hairdryer & WD40 on the connector block. Couldn't believe so much wiring hidden away! Speedo now back and working.

Many, many thanks gcams for this gem of wisdom.

I'm really pleased the info helped you Alastair!! Thanks for taking the time to post.. it's always really great to hear when others have managed to fix their speedo's through this post!

For some reason, the pic links are no longer working in my original post, so I'll post them again here as I don't seem to be able to edit my original post.

rav4_connector_block.jpg

great info, my 52 plate leaks through the sunroof and today the speedo had stopped overnight and then an engine management light came on about 40 miles into my journey, seems like it is this problem

Hi all, I found my speedo and central locking both decided to stop working overnight. I did this method to fix the speedo, however it fixed my central locking and speedo still not working. Any ideas?