Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Shape Avensis 2.0D4D

Deakin

Hi guys the Deakin here just thought i would let you know that i bought the new shape avensis 2.0 D4D it drives a dream it has 53,000 miles and still has 1 year left the 5 year warranty,which is just aswell because the central locking stoped working on saturday so i could not use it for work as i drive taxis for a living,.I could get my door opened but the other doors would not open even when i opened them manualy the car has this thing about locking all the doors after about 12 mph so i was beat is there a way round this that you can take this central locking off? because i cant afford to loose another days pay beacause of it,the car is at Mr Ts as we speak to try to find out the fault.

Hi, Welcome to the club... Enjoy :driving:

Sorry about your troubles I hope that you get it sorted soon.

Yea thanks for that so do i bad start all the same.

A mate had the same problem with his drivers door.

He found out it was a red wire that is in a rubber tube by the door hinges.

Cut rubber tube carefully and check if theres any snapped wire, if so give a good connection like he did.

If that is not the case its the modulator in the door that needs replacing.

If it has the auto locking feature (ie doors lock automatically at a certain speed), think that can be disabled by the dealer.

Is there a switch on the driver's door which locks the passenger doors?

The master switch on the door will not work if you press it to open the doors it will make no noise all no clicking no nothing.

Hello Deakin, you got a picture of her? what year, saloon or tourer, you will have to let me know if the 09+ are up for the job.

Yeah Mike is right you should see if the dealer can disable the auto locking feature.

Hope it goes good for you, did you not have a look at any of the skoda's like you said?.

Yea did have a look at a few skoda superbs nice cars great room inside but they wanted to much money for them over here, £10,000 plus for 2010 with 80,000 miles out of my league,and then i heard they had electrical problems so i thought the avensis was a better buy, and what happens the central locking lets me down.But thanks for the reply and apart from the locking issue the car is a nice drive but i think the suspension is a bit hard.

Yeah skodas prices have increased in the last few years due to them being a hit with taxi drivers. :(

I have heard too they have electrical glitches and water leaks.

what size tyres and wheels is it running?

I have steel rims with 205/55/16 tyres on it seems ok on the motorway but on uneven surfaces all you get is a rumbling noise.

good size its common size tyre plenty of choice when you go the tyre places,

what make tyres or are they budgets?

Keep on topic, general chit chat can be conducted on the PM system.

Deakin - you may bre able to disable the annoying door locking when reaching 12 mph yourself. Have a look in the handbook. I've got a 2009 Verso and I disabled the door locking feature myself. Can't remember the details, but something along the lines of putting in a a certain, gear, headlights on and press some button after n seconds. It may be similar on the Avensis. Or the dealer can do it for you.

• Like 1

Sorry about the delay i am running on Pirelli tyres on the back not sure what the front ones are but thinking of changing the Pirelli to the front to see if it make it any quieter.

The auto locking can be switched off, so can the seatbelt chime. Also the volume of the annoyingly loud "key in ignition" buzzer can be turned down to a less obtrusive level. IIRC you can do the auto locking one from the touch screen stereo (if you have it), but the others need done by the OBD diagnostic socket. Toyota probably won't do the seatbelt chime "for safety reasons" but you can get the Techstream software and cable for maybe £20-£30 on eBay and do it yourself via a laptop. Maybe you could get a tenner a pop from your taxi mates and get your cash back ;) It doesn't disable the flashing light - only the noise.

Disclaimer... oh it's dead dead dangerous not to have a seatbelt chime, you'll probably die the minute you disable it. It's the law blah blah (completely ignoring the fact that a private hire driver can have his seatbelt unfastened in certain circumstances here). Obviously I merely point out you could disable the function for use on your two mile long private driveway ;) BTW a few taxi's I know have simply unplugged the cable to something (maybe the seat weight sensors?) to get rid of the seatbelt chime but I've wondered whether that would mean the airbag would't go off in a crash, so would the owner/driver be liable for a serious claim? Personally I'd steer clear of that route.

Just to be clear, since this is an open forum and I don't want to pee anyone off.. The above mentioned are safety functions and are there for a reason. Disabling safety functions can have deadly consequences and should not be done.

Thanks for that Talldave car is in MrTs at the minute my central locking messed up they phoned me earlier to say it needs a new ecu and i wont be here for another 2 days, so i think i will as them when i go back up if they can dissable the central locking altogether.

Alan 333 thanks for the reply i dont seem to know what im doing with this website my reply was way up the page ? i am going to ask MR T to see if they will cancel the central locking for me,as i have said the car is in for a new ecu as the central locking has cocked up altogether.

Hi, I have a 2012 model with touch and go unit, on mine the following works:-

Set up - Vehicle - Speed Sensitive Auto Locking, set to off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the new shape car is actually full of electronic faults ,you will find out at expense, the alternator is faulty / fails quickly !and when you replace toyota keep the part and recondition it for resale!!, the electric hand brake is more than a thousand pounds to replace.....hence the 5 year warranty after that the car worth virtualy nothing. you can disable the automatic door lock through the infomedia system/see manual how to disable.good luck or b luck ,you alone will find out.soon.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links