Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whistling Drivers Door Mirror

yossarian247

Hi everyone,

I've searched on here and there are a few topics about whistling driver's mirrors without anyone giving a definitive cause. I was wondering if anyone has managed to find a fix for this?

Basically my driver's side door mirror begins a high pitched whistling at about 60 mph which gets worse with increasing speed. There's a few mentions of people packing the hinge with foam but I've tried this and it made no difference to mine. To prove it one way or the other I bound the hinge completely with tape and even that didn't stop the noise.

One thing I noticed was that the painted back cover of the mirror doesn't seem to clip on as tightly as the one on the passenger side (which is always silent). I unclipped the cover and ran a line of silicone sealant around it with the hope of sealing out any air but the whistling is just as bad.

Any suggestions would be very welcome before I give the mirror a final 'adjustment' with a hammer!

Nick

This may sound silly but are you 100% sure it is the mirror.

One way to be sure would be to wrap the complete mirror tightly in clingfilm.

If the noise stops then you know for sure if its the mirror.

If it carries on the it could be a door seal.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip. I'm fairly sure it's the mirror but I'll certainly give the clingfilm a try to pin down where it's coming from.

Well problem solved I think. :-)

I tried wrapping the mirror casing in clingfilm and parcel tape, leaving the hinge exposed, and the annoying whistling was completely gone. So next I ripped all that lot off and temporarily sealed over all of the gaps between the mirror body and the clip on plastic back cover with duck tape, result was also a silent mirror. Next I peeled all of the tape off, got the sealant gun out again and put a thicker bead of silicone around the join between the mirror back cover and mirror casing. Result again is a silent mirror!

Obviously I just didn't use quite enough silicone the first time and it needed a bit more grouting!

Is there any fault on the Auris that can't be fixed with silicone? A few months ago I had the classic fault of water leaking into the boot and that was cured with silicone sealant around the back light cluster.

• Like 2

If I ever find a reason to fill the headlights with silicone I definitely will!!

If I ever find a reason to fill the headlights with silicone I definitely will!!

Problem is that you will have to respray it PINK :-))))

Now you can call the car Katie Price !!!

Problem is that you will have to respray it PINK :-))))

Not any more if you have read the papers.

Katie has removed most of her implants. That's a big weight off her chest!

She's apparently got rid of her pink Range Rover too.

There's a used car dealers near where I work that are currently trying to sell a bright pink Land Rover Defender.

I imagine the potential market for those is a bit limited, e.g. really camp farmers etc...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links