Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Rear Brake Pad Replacement

pramsbottom

4 hours ago, Misba said:

HI Konrad C,

Just want to thank you for your reply to my question, I got the wind back tool that you mentioned on your post and it worked a treat. Like you said very satisfying when you finish the job by yourself. But I would say your post helped me a great deal with the job, so thank you😀

Just wondering with the rear disk change the calliper bracket bolts are in a very tight place and its not like the front disks where you can turn the wheels right or left with the steering wheel to get access. So how do you manage to get the bolts loose, you won't be able to get a breaker bar in the rear wheel arch?

Thanks very much mate,

Misba.

When you have these, no tight bolt is a problem, what ever the angle - breaker bar, extendable wheel bar and extendable ratchet. I have other bars of of various lengths. I have a spider wrench (cross shaped wrench) in the car, and that is fine for most situations. Loosen the wheel nuts before before jacking the car off the floor!  As a friend of mine and former member of the Avensis forum knows, I bring what I have, when doing anything on a car. I did his Honda Jazz pulley and used aviation spanners, which are really long.  

20201020_142559.thumb.jpg.f7a7be217808d75ca48a93bc68b12f7b.jpg 20201015_142248.thumb.jpg.6ab2c75c108ddd487774be4ffd5e8ac9.jpg

• 3 months later...

On 7/29/2020 at 9:21 AM, Konrad C said:

Hope you are using a wind back kit like this -

20200720_225822.thumb.jpg.f2464c853b70fa773b961612d6761d19.jpg

When you wind back the pistons, make sure the cut outs are in line horizontally with the caliper or the caliper will need to be forced to fit over the brake pads. The photos are of a Vauxhall Corsa VXR I did last year. It had the same issue as the Avensis where the inner pad wore quickly. 20190222_151558.thumb.jpg.14762a3aa2a060591aba577d03a65ecc.jpg piston in the wrong position. 

20190222_155337.thumb.jpg.f4a5b779030757fe85898a588bb9efc3.jpg      piston in the correct position 

20190222_155547.thumb.jpg.c0712d02fa39ce14bfe74faae8dbf20f.jpg Brake pad wore down at one end! 

20190222_160421.thumb.jpg.6561329f6b3c2cf16c71c72d458e33f1.jpg Just like the Avensis, there is a small protrusion on the back of the pad. The protrusion needs to fit within the cut out of the piston. 

Follow the info and you won't be doing the job again in a long while!

hi there again konrad the way you are saying to change the rear brake pads on my 2014 toyota avensis is to turn off the parking break wind back the piston (i also have one of those tools u have there in the pic) and change the pads .im wondering what you do before that i have a autel md802 and it can wind back the pistons automatically and can wind them back out again after new pads are in. but also do i need to keep the car ing on to keep power going in the car and keeping the car epb off .will it by chance come on if taking to long to change the pads and finally after getting the pads all in should i pump the breaks hard b before switching the epb on then this shouldn't effect the epb will it. also another quick question should i for sure not disconnect the cable coming from the epb to the caliper .im at a loss the right steps i should take from should i leave the car switched on to keep the epb switch off and should i use a ob2 port tool to wind back the pistons 

10 hours ago, 2009joe said:

hi there again konrad the way you are saying to change the rear brake pads on my 2014 toyota avensis is to turn off the parking break wind back the piston (i also have one of those tools u have there in the pic) and change the pads .im wondering what you do before that i have a autel md802 and it can wind back the pistons automatically and can wind them back out again after new pads are in. but also do i need to keep the car ing on to keep power going in the car and keeping the car epb off .will it by chance come on if taking to long to change the pads and finally after getting the pads all in should i pump the breaks hard b before switching the epb on then this shouldn't effect the epb will it. also another quick question should i for sure not disconnect the cable coming from the epb to the caliper .im at a loss the right steps i should take from should i leave the car switched on to keep the epb switch off and should i use a ob2 port tool to wind back the pistons 

I will recap from the beginning for the benefit of others.

Make sure you have brake rewind kit with adaptors and lefthand thread like this - 20171112_113102.thumb.jpg.351f6ac7abee782e92f677d42a6ed92d.jpg

On later cars from 2011, the parking brake is fully auto for release and engage. On earlier cars like mine, the EPB is just left off. The owners manual for the later cars covers how to engage service mode. image.thumb.png.1d8457acb90b0e17f818114911e110c2.png

As shown in one of the videos, it is critical that the pistons are wound back so the cut outs are aligned horizontally. The nipple on the back plate of the inner brake pad sits within the cut out. 

After assembly and the job completed on both wheels, pump the brake pedal. Then start the engine and check the brake pedal. Apply the EPB and hold button for a few seconds. Then apply and release the EPB to make sure it is functioning properly. Hopefully there are no cautions or warnings, meaning all is good. A lot of garages and DIY mechanics can change the rear brakes on the Avensis, without needing diagnostics. 
If you want to use the Autel, you should confirm with them that the calibration function is suitable for your car! Do the rear brake change first and see how it goes, before trying the calibration! Don't get too involved in the the electronic side of things.

9 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Make sure you have brake rewind kit with adaptors and lefthand thread like this - 20171112_113102.thumb.jpg.351f6ac7abee782e92f677d42a6ed92d.jpg

On later cars from 2011, the parking brake is fully auto for release and engage. On earlier cars like mine, the EPB is just left off. The owners manual for the later cars covers how to engage service mode. image.thumb.png.1d8457acb90b0e17f818114911e110c2.png

As shown in one of the videos, it is critical that the pistons are wound back so the cut outs are aligned horizontally. The nipple on the back plate of the inner brake pad sits within the cut out. 

After assembly and the job completed on both wheels, pump the brake pedal. Then start the engine and check the brake pedal. Apply the EPB and hold button for a few seconds. Then apply and release the EPB to make sure it is functioning properly. Hopefully there are no cautions or warnings, meaning all is good. A lot of garages and DIY mechanics can change the rear brakes on the Avensis, without needing diagnostics. 
If you want to use the Autel, you should confirm with them that the calibration function is suitable for your car! Do the rear brake change first and see how it goes, before trying the calibration! Don't get too involved in the the electronic side of things.

thanks ever so much Konrad . thats great i will do it as you have here .just a final few quick questions .so i DO NOT need to use my autel to wind back the rear calibers pistons at all i just use the box pic you have there to wind them back i have that tool anyways the exact same one .one more quick question on the video changing the rear pads the connection at the calibers where the epb pulls on. when it says skip that step and dont do it when i disengage the epb do i leave the connection connected. thanks so much again its great the way you have done it there so i know 

10 hours ago, Konrad C said:

sorry to bother you one last time. i have one of those car Battery chargers that if i have a flat Battery i normally connect up the charger to the Battery without the car terminals connected to the battery also.when in that video  it says connect the car battery charger at all times when doing that job will this be ok to plug in without damaging the cars electrics charging the battery while car is connected .i dont have one of those trickle chargers 

15 hours ago, 2009joe said:

sorry to bother you one last time. i have one of those car battery chargers that if i have a flat battery i normally connect up the charger to the battery without the car terminals connected to the battery also.when in that video  it says connect the car battery charger at all times when doing that job will this be ok to plug in without damaging the cars electrics charging the battery while car is connected .i dont have one of those trickle chargers 

You don't or shouldn't need to leave a Battery charger connected to the car, unless the Battery is suspect and you are doing diagnostics for a long period! Also some of the cars ECUs can forget their programming. I had that when I change my car Battery. I had to do an idle reset on my car. 

7 hours ago, Konrad C said:

You don't or shouldn't need to leave a battery charger connected to the car, unless the battery is suspect and you are doing diagnostics for a long period! Also some of the cars ECUs can forget their programming. I had that when I change my car battery. I had to do an idle reset on my car. 

is a  idle reset a big job think thats what i have on mine drove it about 5 miles today to work and right enough was cold this morning even when the car heat up it was still idle about over 1000 rpm but can wont idle like that sure sfter 5 miles .i notice anyways also the my toyota 2.0d4d engine it warms up not bad as the wee temp goes up one notch faster than my older car but i seen a few vidoes aboyt the 2014 2.0d4d 1ADFTV engines 

On 2/9/2021 at 10:08 AM, Konrad C said:

sorry one last question going to give this a go i was wondering

(1) after chocking my front wheels and turning on the car to ing on (lights on)

(2)holding handbrake switch for 5 seconds disabling the handbrake system

(3) can i leave the car in gear at all times as i wont be starting the car and plus when i have the parking disabled can i switch off the ing will the handbrake still be disabled .do you think that will work that way so gives me time to change discs and pads on both sides 

(4)  then after all fitted i can start car pump the breaks until hard .drive the car forward and backward trying the breaks then when all working then and only then push on the handbrake and hold it for 5 seconds so i know its working. what do you think my friend 

On 2/14/2021 at 7:33 PM, 2009joe said:

sorry one last question going to give this a go i was wondering

(1) after chocking my front wheels and turning on the car to ing on (lights on)

(2)holding handbrake switch for 5 seconds disabling the handbrake system

(3) can i leave the car in gear at all times as i wont be starting the car and plus when i have the parking disabled can i switch off the ing will the handbrake still be disabled .do you think that will work that way so gives me time to change discs and pads on both sides 

(4)  then after all fitted i can start car pump the breaks until hard .drive the car forward and backward trying the breaks then when all working then and only then push on the handbrake and hold it for 5 seconds so i know its working. what do you think my friend 

Follow the procedure to place your EPB in service mode, as detailed in your owners manual - image.thumb.png.5b028cc7186ee44691d09efc375c0c0d.png 

Yes, leave the car in gear as an extra precaution to wheel chocks.

When the brake replacement has been completed, pump the pedal to set the pads. Then start the car and reverse the procedure to get the auto parking brake to activate. Then apply and release the parking brake to make sure it is working as before.

9 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Follow the procedure to place your EPB in service mode, as detailed in your owners manual - image.thumb.png.5b028cc7186ee44691d09efc375c0c0d.png 

Yes, leave the car in gear as an extra precaution to wheel chocks.

When the brake replacement has been completed, pump the pedal to set the pads. Then start the car and reverse the procedure to get the auto parking brake to activate. Then apply and release the parking brake to make sure it is working as before.

thanks by chance when i switch the car to ing on and put the car epb service mode .il leave it in gear do you think i can turn the ing off after that until im finished putting on new break pads and then when finished i can start the car pump the breaks take it for a small drive  testing out the breaks then when all is good then i can switch on the epb. what do you think of that one or do really have to leave the ing on the whole time until im finished with my break pads .thanks again for your help again Konrad :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links